favorite el34 or ???

hello again as most may know i am a set fan, i just bought a kt88 set amp ( cyrus brenneman cavalier) the amp is reported as solving the shortcommings of SET amps (IE better at the extremes) while maintaining great midrange. My first impressions are it is very nice but midrange may be a tad off. Another asset of this amp is it can use a variety of tubes 6550, kt88, 77, and el34. The review i read states tubes dramatically affect midrange so i looking for advice to others most loved of these tubes in regards to midrange. tube rolling is way to expensive to just go out and buy a bunch to try. so i thought why not ask here as horns will definately ferret out bad choices. Joe

My impression is this: I've always liked the EL-34 for its smoothness and linear sound through the midrange and bass. The 6550 always sounded overly bass-heavy to me. I can't comment on the others you mentioned.

I further had the impression that Marantz chose EL-34's for its Model 9 70-watt mono amp because of those sonic qualities. He had to use four to get 70 watts. I assume he preferred to use four '34's instead of a pair of some other higher-output tubes. See http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0009.html

Tubes which sound incredible in one amp may sound very different in another. So many design parameters affect the ultimate sound that the only way to make a judgment is to try different ones in your particular amp. The best thing to do, if you don't want to buy a bunch of different tubes and try it yourself, is to find others who are using your particular amp and solicit their comments about what sounds best. That will at least narrow down your efforts somewhat. It isn't only midrange which can be affected. You may find a particular tube which gives you a wonderful midrange, but at the expense of the bottom or top end. As I've stated before in these forums, try to find a tube which gives you a pleasing overall result and stop your search there. Otherwise, you're going to drive yourself nuts chasing the elusive "sonic nirvana" which doesn't actually exist! And keep in mind that once you think you have found it on Monday, you may have a very different opinion when you listen again on Tuesday.

fanatic i know all about the elusive nirvana ive been up and down the trail more times than i care to count. my particular amp is somewhat rare although still offered my sense is not many exist or at least i dont hear many folks discussing them. i understand amp design can cause difference of sound. but many tubes have whats described as a signature sound. thats more what i was interested in hearing. Although i do appreciate all points of view. Russ which el34's do you gravitate twords. joe

Hi Joe, maybe you remember the CJ mv55 amp (Wired in triod) I purchased from you few years back. It had El34 tubes & the mid range was to die for in my opinion, but lacked extension from the bottom & top end. Or at least that was my reaction at the time so I moved on. As said before memory just doesnt cut it with sound, a man really needs to hang on to what he has until it is bested in side by side comparison, (If only I were rich enough). As much gear as you have been thru, I thought for you would have found the Nirvana place by now [;)] I love this hobby but it can be quite frustrating at times!

Best of luck & keep us posted with your findings, your gear trials are enlightening for us all.

Cornman

hey cornman. i remember the amp being a little to warm for

my system at the time. i did an hour or so of listening today and formed some opinion on the amps performance. my reason for this audition is because cyrus brenneman and dr edgar teamed up to help voice each others gear and according to every review i have read there is no better match. the cavalier is a wonderful amp very well extended on both top and bottom. it projects a nice wide and deep soundstage. with current tubes the mids are just not up to snuff with my burgess 45, so i sat down and went over what makes an amp desireable to me. and what i came up with is. (1 soundstage) (2 mids) (3detail) (4 musicality) among others but you get the idea. What i discovered also is extremes both high and low are pretty low on my list This leads to the question is it worth while for me to go into tube rolling in an attempt to get closer to the mids i already have with my burgess. Couple this with the fact that the extension on the bass will cause me to have to address room issues with bass nodes and its becomming clear i am headed in the wrong direction. but i got to audition a very good amp and in doing so i learned a little more about myself. Joe

I have learned about myself I am more of a lush for warm sound then I ever realized. Mr Edger & Cavalier- what a place to start from [:D] All joshing aside, I wish I had experience with a 45 amp to give an opinion. Looking fordward to your findings.

Cornman

Hey Joe,

You may want to take a look at Russian 6P3S-e (or 6N3C-e, depending on translation) tubes. You can google and read about them, and for $30 for a matched pair delivered to your door they may be worth a shot.

I have a SE amp that can use 6L6, EL34, KT88 (and etc.), 6550. I've heard it with EH 6L6, RCA 6L6, Svet EL34, and the 6P3S-e and liked the 6P3S-e the best. Actually, the best I've heard in there was a pair of 1950's NOS 807 tubes - All you need is a pair of adapters ($50) and the 807s are cheap as well, NOS you can get for <$50/pair. The 807 is a 6L6 variant, so not sure if your amp will take them.

Having said all that - I've never heard a 45 amp, but I do own a 2A3 amp with KHorns. I do not believe you'll match the mids of that 45 amp with any pentode (never did match my 2A3). But you can get pretty close in my experience.

Roll on!

Hey Joe,

Here is my opinion on just the tubes I have used in my SET amp, the Winged C were ok and not much more in my system but, alot of people like them. The Seimens (RFT) I think were much better (smoother) and not to pricey. The Mullard XF1 00 halo's were the best overall top to bottom and pricey if you can find them.

Jay