Got my EICO HF-81 finally

No Disc

Putting Vintage amps aside, there are some Folks that don't think Mobile Homeless is full of hot air.

They took a chance, I don't think these folks feel he Bullsh*tted them.

Craig:

So you took someone's advice.

We are all aware of the Caveat Emptor factor involved with purchasing vintage Tube amps.

(I think it has been well expressed the last couple weeks.)

Some folks appear to like this HF-81 in good working condition.

(It's a cheap start to get into tubes.)

Some people are finding out that they need work.

(They were a lower priced kit from the start, makes sense.)

But to take someone's advice just from what is read should always be taken with a grain of salt.

And instead of yammerin' away, slammin' Eico HF-81 and pounding kh in the ground, why don't you consider it a lesson learned and get over it.

And if you have personal issues involving this subject,

why don't Personally Email him and settle it.

Because it's starting to get old on the Forum.

Sorry, that's my two cents.

THANX!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike

I really don't even want to go where ever it is your trying to take this. I have not said one derogatory word to Mobile until today period !!!!!! I have put up with his Bull all I'm going too. If you like him that's your right I could careless.

I listened to the him. My mistake I have no problem with that(for that matter I'm a grown adult and it was my decision). I bought the unit knowing it would need work. The first post I put up about it I didn't complain about it and thought it was a great chance to learn. He has went on the defensive all the way thru the ordeal for NO reason. Besides I absolutely can not lose with this purchase anyway you look at it.

Where in this thread have I slammed the EICO ?? please you better read elsewhere. Like the other thread on it where Jazzman hooked it up to his heresy's to confirm for me that it is indeed my Amp and not all HF-81s

I'm not complaining about my Amp. I have however made it more than clear that I'm not impressed with them as a whole. So what !! That's my Opinion and if King Mobile doesn't like Oh well. No one told him to go off and pout !!!!

Also could you please show me where I have pounded Mobile into the Dirt please other than this thread slightly !!!!!

are we clear !!
Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 04-01-2002 at 12:06 AM

Now lets get back to constructive discussion please !!

tbabb

I'd like to thank you for the High res photo great job !! I hate to ask but could you possibly take it one more time only if its not to much trouble remove the side panels to show the edge to edge of the under chassis. It would be real helpfull. This is no hurry at all and if you don't want to go to the trouble no big deal.

Thanks you've been very helpfull

Craig

Ed,

He doesn't have a website and he makes all of his amps custom. He also makes a 76 preamp as well as a integrated (45/76 combo). The amp is a stereo amp and retails for $1600 w/out tubes I beleive. The preamp goes for around $1100 and the integrated runs about $1800. I have some pictures of each if you would like me to Email them to you.

I have had a number of conversations with Jeff and he seems like a very nice man. I think he is in his early 50's and quit his job to do this full time. I have his phone number if you would like that as well. He lives in Pittsburgh...

Mike

It was a Home-Brew amp.

We also listened to a 6BQ5 integrated, a push pull,

and he threw a 300b in the Breadboard to give us a listen.

(Though it was Chinese, and was a tad bit raspy.)

They all sounded great, but nothing could even touch that 45 tube as far smoothness.

(From bottom to top.)

It was my first REAL listen to tube amps since I was a kid.(So keep that in mind.)

I'm still shaking my head after hearing a watt and a half 45 Tube.

I could have walked away from Tube amp interests,

But not now!

Hey, guys, just back to the Forum after another good chunk of time away ...

There's a lot of technical stuff being passed around here and I have neither the gray matter nor experience to judge the content of what is being said. And I do have to add that I try to get along with just about everyone I meet (no matter what kind of overalls he's wearing, because you never know who's going to pull you out of the water ...).

I feel a need to state my personal view of Mobile ... I know there's a lot sentiment flying around here, but I have never had anything but fun, intelligent, respectful and educational dialogues with him, on this forum and off. He's been helpful and more than generous with his time. Try to think back four or five months when we all needed help and were asking for him to drop in and offer advice; he did just that and never sought the quid pro quo.

Certainly we're all different, but I find some of the descriptons here to be a bit over the top. I think he's tried to be "neutral" on many occasions, but I think people are to the point that they can't read his comments without bias anymore, which is sad.

As Sandra Bullock finally said, "May there be world peace." Smile.gif

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

It is all a matter of opinion and I can see where some poeple get annoyed when opinios are stated as "gospel." Personally I have no problem with this--I have listened to more vintage tube equipment than 98% of the folks on this board and have formed my own opinions. One of them is that Cornwalls are my favorite speaker--not too many of you will put me down for that! Other notions include that Ortofon SPU cartridges are AWESOME and I'll use them until I can no longer hear and that McIntosh MC-30 amps are bestr for me and what I listen to. I know that others here hate McIntosh gear and I don't want to get in a pissing match arguing that the MC-30 sounds LIGHT YEARS better to me than the Eico integrated.

Anyway, we're all here to have fun and worship Klipsch, right?

Allan, I hear ya. I love the Cornwall too (kind of wasting currently as it's attached to my Denon through a sub, but the family enjoys them).

And one of my iterations was an MC-30 as the center channel, pushing the Belle. Too bad it was being driven by a SS pre-, but its magic was very clear. And I loved my MC-2105, but it had to go since it was just burying these sensitive Klipsches alive Smile.gif

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

AES AE-25 "Superamp" (in temporary retirement)

AES AE-3 Pre-amp (in temporary retirement)

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

I also miss mobile homeless. He had a lot of excellent posts. I'm sure he didn't expect everyone to agree with everything he said; I know I didn't. But who wants to read a lot of posts with IMO after every sentence. I find the people who disagreed with mobile to make good points as well. Polite disagreements can be enlightening.

Like Chris said, I don't see why we need to be fighting about what audio equipment sounds best. Surely that's misfocusing energy.

Allan,

I have read your endorsement of the ALK crossover on Al's site, did you also do any other mods or dampening to your Cornwalls? What characteristics were you trying to fix when you invested in the ALKs, in other words did you love your Cornwalls before the ALKs?

-ipped nd orn

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 04-02-2002 at 06:02 PM

I want to Ditto Chris's comments and also add that I personally feel this forum is better off with Mobile, than without him. I have personally benefited from his knowledge in the short time being here.

What makes this forum worth coming to IMHO, is the opinions and wealth of information contained within. Everyone can bring something to the table here, even if its trivial, esoteric, or supremely important.

I don't care much for the pissing matches or the "I know more than you do crap. " It's not real important to me that member A is smarter than member B, or that C is blowing lots of smoke.

We all, to some degree, have Music, Klipsch and the electronics that put that all together in common. Lets all just try to enjoy our mutual hobby and tolerate each other the best we can.

I feel it's important to add that it is possible to disagree with someone, and also state your opinions about why you disagree with them, without insulting them or their intelligence.

Thanks for listening.

- tb

I've owned my Cornwalls since my days of living in a loft in San Francisco in the early 80's. They have been in and out of my main system a few times--once they were replaced by Quad ESL57s for over two years.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!???!!! But I never sold them--never even considered it, really. I loved them from the minute I hooked them up. THe first year or so in that loft they were driven by a pair of Marantz 9's and the same McIntosh C-22 pre that I'm using today.

I was broke one day in 1982 and needed a new transmission in my truck and sold the 9s for 2 grand. WHAT AN IDIOT!!! But I kept the C-22 and the Cornwalls!

I didn't think about AL's X-Overs till he asked me to help him audition the prototypes. I said "no problem--always happy to help". I did some really intensive A/B comparisons and came to the conclusion that the lower mids and bottom end were a little less flabby--not much, but the improvement was there and therefore significant. Al gave me a nice deal on the prototypes once the evaluations were done and I never removed them. I also rewired the internals at the end of the evaluation process with Silver Sonic hookup wire.

I think the ALK networks make the Cornwall better--not a lot better, but every little bit helps.

I have to agree with the pro-mobile comments as stated by others. I am very pleased with the direction my main 2-channel system has taken, in no small part thanks to the research and advice that mobile has provided both on this board, through his wesite describing his components (and associated tweaks), and through private emails. I am even taking down the pool table in my basement 2 channel room on Thursday!!

That being said, I have also taken to heart a lot of the comments and observations made by Craig and mdeneen regarding vintage amps other than Eico and I now have a Scott 299A on the way.

I am looking forward to learning a bit about restoring/upgrading some of this vintage gear and comparing these to my Moondogs and the rest of the gear I have acquired over the last few years on the upgrade trail.

I know that anytime I buy something on ebay I am taking a risk that it is not as advertised. It is important to at least converse with the seller via email or phone, check out feedback etc. to at least minimize your exposure to a bum deal. But there are still no guarantees (usually!). I went out on a bit farther on a limb on these last 2 pieces of vintage gear so we'll see how it all turns out.

I want to make something really clear here. Mobile left because he wanted too ! Mobile will come back if he wants too. No one and I mean no one told him to leave at all. Just some people got tired of his pissy "I know it all" attitude about everything and personal attacks on others Opinions and started to bite back. I hate to be the one that finally made him seem to disappear. I found most of his post to be great reading and he has a vast knowledge of things Audio. I really don't know what his problem was lately seems like he was uptight all the time. He went on the defensive as soon as I wasn't overjoyed with the HF-81 and wouldn't do a thing to help me out with the purchase he urged me to pursue. Now let me make this clear he did not tell me to buy the HF-81 I bought. But urged me to get one none the less. After getting it and seeing the quality of the components of these amps I was disappointed. Not in the shape of the AMP I received but of any HF-81. This was my Opinion of the unit and that was that. Ever since I stated that I was like on the Mobile black list and anything he could nit pick me on was far game. I think Mobile has a real dominating personality and loves newbies that he can control and mold there audio thoughts to his. As soon as you become a independent thinker and stray from his line of thinking your in for it.

I myself wish he would come back but learn to change his writing habits to some extent and quit being paranoid about everything. He actually told me he thought Mdeneen, Klipped and myself were a Army of three he couldn't win the battle with !! What battle ? Pretty Paranoid statement if you ask me.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>