Klipsch AW-650

rplace

Anybody have any ear-time with the AW series speakers? It is time for outdoor speakers and the wife does not quite like the idea of my LSIs out by the pool. She says they look too Rock-Concert-ish.[:(] Isn't that the point? What are my other options? Could a pro pair of the Heresies or Chorus (are they the KP line???) be made to be relativly weather safe? They would be under my deck, on cement, and the underside of the deck has "dry space" a sort of gutter system between joists that catches rain. Not 100% water free but more or less.

While this is not my deck...this is what the dry space looks like installed.

product-dryspace.jpg

Well I do not have the AW series, but I do have the KHO-7s. I have them setup with a Polk Audio out side passive sub, and is sounds fairly good. Get many positive comments from people who hear it. I too had to go to the outside speakers, because my wife did not like me dragging out my bookshelf speakers and amp all the time. I think if you are not going to use a sub then the KHOs would be a better choice, but if you are going to use a sub then I would go with the AW 650's. As a matter of fact if I can get a good price for my KHO-7s, I would get the AW 650s which are listed on Chicago Craigslist now. I thing you will be pleasantly surprised with the sound, especially with the overhang that you have will make it fuller, but by all means get a subwoofer. The passive subs do not go that LOW but they do make an audible difference. GOOD LUCK

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,

I don't have to go the amp/speaker dragging route. My current solution is to open a basement (walkout) window. and point a Forte II into the opening. It is just about perfect for the high/mid but the woofer is blocked by most of the foundation. Obviously not optimal. I am not familiar with the KHO-7s, will have to give them a look. Have to crawl before I walk, so I know there will be no sub for the time being.

rplace, I have two pairs of AW-525's off the back of my house and am very happy with them. One pair is mounted high over the sliders off my living room and the second pair is mounted in a corner under an eave off the kitchen. The pair off the kitchen sound better as they are less exposed to any breezes etc and their placement is more optimal. The prior owner had run the speaker cable to the first pair and it was not worth redoing.

Like any Klipsch speaker I own, they sound good to me, but these are not used for critical listening, more lounging in the pool and drinking brews. For that purpose they more than fit the bill. I take them down once winter is upon us here in the northeast and I figure to get more than 10 years out of them. They are well constructed, with some significant heft to them. I think Prof. Thump posted about a drop test they did on the AW's involving a concrete floor. Check them out.

Stephen, Just what I was looking for, thanks! I don't expect fantastic sound and am of the same mindset as you. Lounging, drinking, having fun. How is the mounting hardware? Everything you need to mount the securely?

Kevin, Thanks for that kind offer. If I had more time I would take you up on that offer. I am booked the next two weekend and since the wife is actually saying "why don't we get some outdoor speakers rather than opening the window" I figure I better strike while the iron is hot.

What did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking? I think I have a pretty good line on a pair from a liquidator...not authroized klipsch dealer, but brand new in the original box.

I actually stumbled on to a very good craigslist deal about two years ago. They were lost in a gigantic list of kitchen equipment and fixtures that I don't think anyone ever fully parsed. The "bar/club consultant" in Reston had a couple sets new in the box that he didn't use mixed in. Got them for $250.

I had been trying to decide between the 500 and 525 models pricewise until I came across these. This is the only decent craigslist find I have scored.

I don't have the "AW-650", but I do have a pair of AWR-650's, which are the "rock" speakers on my back deck. I am actually pretty darn impressed with how these things actually sound! Like others have said - these are not exactly for critical listening, but are great when just hanging out on the back deck, perhaps while grilling something or just soaking up some rays.

IMG_3529.jpg

Well like most of you I did not want to stray from the flock. Since I like so many other offerings from Klipsch how could I not get some out door speakers from them. Thanks for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger on the 650. Not quite the smoking deal Kevin got, but at 339 shipped to my door I think I got some good sound at a good price. Only negative I can think of is that they only had black. White would have been nice since my deck is all Trex and white PVC posts/rails and the "dry space" under it is white. No big deal I can live with black at that price. If my quick count in my head is right that will make Klipsch speakers 19 and 20 in the house. [:)]

Thanks for all the info. BTW, glad the rock speakers rock! Though I think they were called sandstone (brown) and granite (gray)

Nice pickup rplace! I am sure you will be very happy with them. What's not to like? They're from Klipsch! [:D] I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. All your mounting hardware should be included in the box. Simple enough really, even for a knucklehead like me.

Don't forget, these are very paintable. You can still match your trim or motif.

I did see that on the specs. I am thinking Candy Apple Pearl with orange flames. What do you think? Maybe white since my wife is so understanding with 20 speakers for two people. Hey at least these are smaller than the Khorns and LSIs!

Gary, Don't think I have ever heard yours, but I know you like them. No idea what model yours are, but think you have had them for some time. I belive these are the current offering of outdoor speakers from Klipsch, but honestly how much difference can there be? What do you (and others) dirve them with. I'll be using 2 of the four channels of my Carver AV 64, which is a 60 watt X 4 channel amp.