Trying to reel in the budget...

goonstopher

I am coming from large jtr speakers - Way over my means and am going to have to sell them.

Would Heresy II's be decent up front? Found a pair near me for 350. Is there any upgrade worth doing to them (anything specific by crites)

Can they handle reference volume clearly (I like -4 to -2 so it's loud!)??

How hard of a time will I have finding a third, single hersey 2?

When crossed over to a sub is there a big difference between the heresy 3's and 2's?

I don't recall your room size, but if it's not huge you should be able to hit reference level (which is too loud for me) with Heresy II. Combined with a good sub, it's a good and very affordable choice for HT. It should be easy to find two more pairs for a 6.1 system.

I hit reference at -13 dB on the dial of a 50W per channel receiver using Klipschorns. Since the Heresy II is 7 dB less sensitive, I could reach reference at -6 dB on that receiver, or at -9 dB using a 100 WPC receiver, using an all Heresy II system.

Thank you. My room is sort of small. I sit apout 7-8 feet away (9-10 max by eye).

My sides are jbl 8340a and I have no plans to move them, they work well and are a very good value as well as easy to mount up high.

I really only need the front 3 also because I have no room for in the back and my amp is much stronger when only run 5.1 (onkyo 805). I might throw some behringer 2030a's in the back on a shwlf as rears one day but thats another issue.

So you would take hersey 2's over 3's for the price. What if the 3's were $900 shipped for 2? The2's are only $350 for 2.

Getting the third of either puts me in a bad place, tiehr over budget but easy to get with 3's or under budget but impossible to find with the 2's...

Also if I get the 2's I will plan to get the crites upgrades so I need to add like 250-450 to the overall cost for all 3 (depending on new or rebuilt crossovers)

• Moderators

I hit reference at -13 dB on the dial of a 50W per channel receiver using Klipschorns

Not to change the subject..........but what is reference in DB's 80 - 90 - 100 ?

I definitely understand the budget thing.

Generally 116dB peaks at one meter are considered reference (I might be wrong that might be at the speaker). That means at about 3 meters (add 6db) and a listeing level of -3db, I would need peaks of 119dB at one meter.

This isnt all the time but from time to time having the ability (fin with friends over/show off) it is important but I do regularly go to at least -5dB.

• Moderators

Generally 116dB peaks at one meter are considered reference (I might be wrong that might be at the speaker). That means at about 3 meters (add 6db) and a listening level of -3db, I would need peaks of 119dB at one meter.

This isn't all the time but from time to time having the ability (fin with friends over/show off) it is important but I do regularly go to at least -5dB.

[:o]

Holy stuff that's enough to give you a heart attack from sounds your not expecting !

I remember my brother in law and another relative were watching a movie with us at about 100 DB average and I had seen it so I knew what was coming, he launched off the sofa from a gunshot or explosion. It was so funny I had to stop the movie, everyone was laughing so hard we had to take a break for about 10 minutes. He is about 6' 6" and 300+ pounds and he jumped 2 feet and on to his feet, I still laugh thinking about it.

I jsut went an dlistened to some rf-83's and OUCHeither something was wrong or my jtr's are just in a different WORLD. The speakers just sounded... like speakers, very much like it was clear it was not live and no soundstage also there was a shril nature to them.

They were only being driven by a mid level yamaha avr but all I use is an onkyo 805 and my jtrs sound great. I put on clapton accoustic and it just lost all the touch and presence I was use to. I tried another cd and it was clear something in the clain was adding static but even ignoring that I didn't get what I expected.

I'll go hear the heresy 2's tomorrow to make sure. I MIGHT be getting a new job tomorrow but I could still use the money for a few important things I need to take care of but after hearing the jtrs I think I am spoiled.

• Moderators

Try to find another dealer. But then again, your ears are so used to your JTR's, the Klipsch might sound bright to you. Acoustics are often more important than the components themselves. If you have great components and have poor acoustics, no speakers will sound good.

I jsut went an dlistened to some rf-83's and OUCHeither something was wrong or my jtr's are just in a different WORLD. The speakers just sounded... like speakers, very much like it was clear it was not live and no soundstage also there was a shril nature to them...

They were only being driven by a mid level yamaha avr but all I use is an onkyo 805 and my jtrs sound great.

Fwiw, a mid level Yammi is not comparable to a THX Ultra II certified AVR and that could be the problem...Regardless what you experienced, the static and shrillness tells me something was definitely setup wrong...Take an SPL meter with you and make sure where you audition knows how to set it up properly...That's the beauty of auditioning the speakers before you buy them...Btw, if the RF-83s sounded shrill to you, the Heresies are going to explode your eardrums. [:o]

• Moderators

My room is set up pretty *** poorly but my speakers sound nice... I need to get REW in here...

Sorry, I was actually referring to the dealer. I was saying that if the dealer's room has poor acoustics, that could effect the SQ of the RF-83's.

My room is set up pretty *** poorly but my speakers sound nice... I need to get REW in here...

Sorry, I was actually referring to the dealer. I was saying that if the dealer's room has poor acoustics, that could effect the SQ of the RF-83's.

Sorry, so was I by extension... I.E. my room is pretty bad but my speakers still sound good therefor bad accoustics should not a factor (both in bad rooms for instance). The dealer room is pretty decent though as I have heard other speakers in it BUT I also can't confirm that my room is bad.

I jsut went an dlistened to some rf-83's and OUCHeither something was wrong or my jtr's are just in a different WORLD. The speakers just sounded... like speakers, very much like it was clear it was not live and no soundstage also there was a shril nature to them...

They were only being driven by a mid level yamaha avr but all I use is an onkyo 805 and my jtrs sound great.

Fwiw, a mid level Yammi is not comparable to a THX Ultra II certified AVR and that could be the problem...Regardless what you experienced, the static and shrillness tells me something was definitely setup wrong...Take an SPL meter with you and make sure where you audition knows how to set it up properly...That's the beauty of auditioning the speakers before you buy them...Btw, if the RF-83s sounded shrill to you, the Heresies are going to explode your eardrums. Surprise

Really??? Everything I have seen says the heritage, line is much lessy "honky" or shrill or harsh than the RF line

What would you consider upper end? Cornwalls?

I am thinking if I get this job I just keep my jtrs if the heresys don't do it for me. I love my speakers but the money would go a long way in my life right now, job or not BUT once I get into spending too much (arbitrary number of about $1200 for 3 fronts) the downgrade is nno longer worth the financial gain

I am also considering JBL MRX512's but I would proabbly have to buy them blind eh

The price i got was insane... I really can't share it in public, there was a shipping error and I got like 33% off and that deal will NEEEEVER happen again.

I figure I can get 2700 for them used.

If you value your listening experience and are happy with the JTRs I wouldn't spend time looking for a downgrade....I followed your search on here and AVS and can't imagine Heresies or the last Reference series is going to float your boat...If you have job prospects lined up or if listening to music/movies is your pleasure don't lose money on something that you will regret...Btw, those speakers you have for sale on AVS haven't even been shipped to you yet, correct?

Yes and no. I have the quintuple 8's and havehad them for most of this year (forget exactly when, feb. or so?) but the triple 8 is directly from jeff. So I will either sell it or take delivery.

Also, I know no one else can make my personal value judgment but long story short - There are a few things in my life I could really benefit from having the money. not wife, family, food, rent ect but I don't own a car right now and there is something I have been meaning to get taken care of that this money could help get me moving towards. I am willing to step down IF the money is right and the sound is passable. Maybe the dealer was set up poorly but the rf-83's were not close to passable for me (the dealer was a chain store, 6ave so I am sure they set up pooooorly) and were over my budget but I just wanted to get a feel. I am hopefully going to hear the heresy 2's today and might stop by another dealer to hear some more klipsch but it wasn't even a middle ground. something was wrong either in the speaker, the setup or my expectations.