Did I get a good deal on this Klipsch setup?

mjgptdawg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I looked at the Quintets, but it's going to suck to give up so much sound.

I don't like Bose at all, but would buying a couple of the Acoustimass Bose Double Cubes at least suffice? It pains me guys, but I have to ask.

Absolutely will not suffice, you won't even be able to hear the Bose without severe level matching. What are you really wanting to accomplish with this system? Are you passionate about sound, or just trying to get by and have a system that is invisible in a room that only pleases your wife? Please don't read this as rude, but we need to know what your TRUE priorities are.

No offense taken. I am passionate about sound, which is the reason I bought a whole set of Klipsch speakers anyway. I don't want to just throw anything down there that is going to sound terrible, and ruin the rest of the great speakers I have in the front.

I guess I need the best of both worlds. I need to get a smaller set of surround speakers that is going to please the wife so a big 12 lb speaker isn't hanging from the ceiling right in the middle of the basement in front of the big bar we had built. However, I also need it to actually sound good. If I want total crap, I'd just buy any surround like from Samsung that is small just to please the wife. However, I won't do that, and want something that is going to sound good.

Hard to do when I won't be able to have the RS-3 II speakers back there. It needs to look classy. I think I compromised and should be able to keep the center and the RF-3 II's for the front. I just need to find something that sounds really good and is small for the rears.

The Quintets aren't in the same ballpark whatsoever, and I know that I'm now going to have to sacrifice some sound to please the wife (can't get good sound out of tiny speakers), but I really have no choice. Would the Quintets at least work?

Any other recommendations at all. I realize sound quality is going to be jeopardized.

Well it looks like you are going to have to try and make either the RSX-4's or RSX-5's work as your surrounds. I myself use the RSX-5's and feel that they are a very good surround/rear option. I think that either the RSX-4's or 5's are the smallest option that can still offer good dynamics and high enough sensitivity to match your RF-3's.

• Moderators

Well it looks like you are going to have to try and make either the RSX-4's or RSX-5's work as your surrounds.

Sorry....I totally forgot about those. That would be an upgrad from the Quintets but not big and bulky like a bookshelf. The only other option would be either in wall or in ceiling speakers.

You are correct. I have a big open floor plan where the bar area and the living area all flow into one big room. So yes, I do not have any rear walls. I only have a side wall that will be back behind the couch on one side, and I have the speaker wire through drywall on the other side coming out of the soffet.

So only 2 side walls. I never knew Klipsch made speakers the size of the RSX-4. These seem like a great alternative, even though not near as good as what I currently have. But it looks like this would be a good compromise

I believe the reason is that he doesn't have a wall where his rears go, so he needs something to hang from the ceiling?

And you get WAY more surround effect with the speakers positioned on the sides, slightly behind the ear and about ear high.

I recent added two smaller KSB 1.1's to act as the side channels in a 7.1 system, but since most material is in 5.1, I hear them

most of the time (my other surround are positioned on the wall behind me). What a difference! Way better surround experience.

Just thought I would share... not that your wife will care, but we know you will ;-D

I guess that I just assumed that he was setting up rears for 7.1. So if this is just 5.1 then go ahead and mount your surrounds about a couple feet above ear level and just behind the listening position on the side walls and you should be golden!

No, this was a setup for a 6.1, not a 7.1. Didn't really have the area in my open floor plan for a back center channel speaker.

As for the position of the back surrounds, I know they are supposed to be around ear level and slightly behind. However, the speaker wire was already ran through the side walls before the basement was finished and the drywall was put in. Therefore, the wires just out slightly behind where the couch will be, but unfortunately, with the setup of the room, has to be up by the ceiling at the top of the wall. This is all that could be done.

So I guess I have to just make the most of it and go with the RSX-4 or RSX-5

I guess that I just assumed that he was setting up rears for 7.1. So if this is just 5.1 then go ahead and mount your surrounds about a couple feet above ear level and just behind the listening position on the side walls and you should be golden!

No, this was a setup for a 6.1, not a 7.1. Didn't really have the area in my open floor plan for a back center channel speaker.

As for the position of the back surrounds, I know they are supposed to be around ear level and slightly behind. However, the speaker wire was already ran through the side walls before the basement was finished and the drywall was put in. Therefore, the wires just out slightly behind where the couch will be, but unfortunately, with the setup of the room, has to be up by the ceiling at the top of the wall. This is all that could be done.

So I guess I have to just make the most of it and go with the RSX-4 or RSX-5

Sounds like you are making the best of it. Let us know how things go!

• 4 months later...

Is there any way to adjust the speaker setttings on this old Yamaha RX-V2200 without the remote control? I did not get the remote with this system, and have yet to upgrade receivers because of a lack of funds. I know my speakers are off, and would love to adjust them, but can't do so because I don't have a remote. I can't find a replacement online except for one that is $67, which is way too much to pay for an 8 year old receiver remote. Will getting a universal remote help? Will I have to call Yamaha to see about a replacement remote to see if it's cheaper?

You can probably do it at the receiver itself. Remotes usually only control items that can be controlled on the unit itself, just more conveniently. Do you have a copy of the User Manual? If not you can probably get a PDF version online. If you really want a remote, I advise buying a Logitech Harmony, that will definitely take care of your needs, plus you can use it for whatever you already have and may buy in the future... they have a few under $100 that will do the trick. I love mine so much I bought two!

I already downloaded the manual, and there is no way to control those settings from the unit itself, the manual even specifically states that the only buttons to access this feature are on the remote. Not going to pay a lot of $$$ to find this remote when I'll just be upgrading the receiver in the future anyway. I just wish I could adjust the speaker settings to my liking, rather than whatever the last guy had it at. Guess I'll just have to go for Logitech. I want the Harmony One, but not sure I can justify the purchase right now money-wise.

I already downloaded the manual, and there is no way to control those settings from the unit itself, the manual even specifically states that the only buttons to access this feature are on the remote. Not going to pay a lot of $$$ to find this remote when I'll just be upgrading the receiver in the future anyway. I just wish I could adjust the speaker settings to my liking, rather than whatever the last guy had it at. Guess I'll just have to go for Logitech. I want the Harmony One, but not sure I can justify the purchase right now money-wise.

Well, that sucks. Looking on the web, it appears they don't even make the exact remote for your receiver any more (the RAV224), it's been replaced by the one for the RX-V3300 (RAV226)... don't know what the difference is, but if it were my luck, it would be missing just the function I needed.

Can't go wrong with the Harmony. I've got the 880's myself, but they all work similarly. The One is pretty pricey, but a very nice unit. I've had mine for over five years now and have added several components to my system that were not in production when the remotes were made and it was no problem getting the codes... they constantly update their database with all the new units, so it should last you long into the future. The macro function with all the basic data stored on the web is such a great idea. Even my ex-wife could operate it and that's saying something! I've yet to find a function of a remote that it could not assign.

Happy hunting and good luck!

Yeah it is a good deal. I decided to bite the bullet, and bought the Harmony One. However, Amazon has it for $168 plus a $20 mail-in rebate, and I get free 2 day shipping, so I got it from there.

I had to compromise and take back my Amazon Kindle I just bought a few weeks ago so the wife wouldn't complaint, but I'd rather have this tech toy than the Kindle right now. All about sacrifices ;)

Thanks everyone!