Reciever Keeps Tripping

CapZark

Here's one for you - my Pioneer reciever keeps tripping its protection circuit, so I disconnected everything and it still trips even at zero volumn. The watt meters bounce up and down a few times and then she goes. Once it warms up things get a lot better, but it still trips from time to time. Any idea what's going on from the techies out there?

Thanks

No manual reset, but if you pull the connectors between the amp and pre-amp sections in the back the watt meters stop bouncing around and the problem subsides. I have the unit plugged into a surge protector ($50 model) and first I turn the surge protector on and then the receiver. I reverse the process when I'm done listening. It did cross my mind that maybe I wasn't getting good clean power from the surge protector. The only thing I haven't tried is by passing it.

This thing is a relic from the late seventies (Pioneer SX-1980). It's a great intrgrated package, but a bit fickle in it's old age. Intermittent problems come and go, but the tripping seems to keep flashing back[:)]

"and first I turn the surge protector on and then the receiver."

this is a no go

these unit have components in them that prevent cold starts ...typically it's a capacitor across the power switch.

you are basically causing surges and spikes

the warming circuit keeps the capacitors formed

this is a no go these unit have components in them that prevent cold starts

So what do I need to do - leave the surge protector on all the time and just switch the unit on and off from power switch? I got in the habit of turning the surge protector off to shut down my sub-woofer which is behind some other stuff. When you say "cold starts" is that why the problem seems to go away after the system warms up or I pull the plug between the amp and pre-amp? In essence clearing the the capacitor of the excess power or spikes?

Sorry if I seem novice, but this is true. I don't understand the interworkings of electronics too well, but if leaving the surge protector on solves my problem you've made my day.

This thing is a relic from the late seventies (Pioneer SX-1980). It's a great intrgrated package, but a bit fickle in it's old age.

Your receiver is over 30 years old. Chances the caps in the protection circuit may need replacing along with adjusting the DC balance and idle current of the power amp.

I suggest you post in the Pioneer Audio section of AudioKarma, very knowledgeable people over there: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

BTW I still use my SX-1980 and still love it.

Update - I'm leaving the surger protector on and the reciever is not tripping. Fritz may be a genius.

He may be ? Glad it's working again, don't you just love it when it's something simple.

...and cheap! [Y]

Nice to hear the problem is solved!

Dennie