New Sub's?

inder19

I see that you are working on a Tuba HT. Hows the process going so far?

I have relatively extensive experience with construction, I have built a shed, deck, cabinets, and entertainment unit before but am very low on time right now. Any idea what type time comitment that would take. I haven't seen any plan's yet so I am not sure how comlicated it would be.

I would have some time this upcoming weekend (4 day weekend) to get started but then I am busy till Novemeber.

At such a small investment (for the type of sound quality people are suggesting) even if I am not happy (which again I doubt based on what others have said) with it I could still use it as a music sub.

I can only work on it one evening a week for 2.5 hours. In th first session, I cut the 12 main panels to high precision and drew out the layout on one side. Next Wednesday I cut the access hole and start glueing.

I have heard of people who know what they are doing that have completed it in a long weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

re: the new models ?

"Oh ye of little faith!"

the SW311 is a little monster

and a smart one too

If it will put out 130dB like my Klipsch KPT-684, stay flat all the way down to 15Hz like my Velodyne HGS-18IIs, or better yet, down to 13Hz like a Velodyne DD-18, do it as cleanly as a Klipsch should, which should be at least as well as my Velodynes, and have the excursion of an Epik Conquest, I'm all over it, so how close does it come to fitting those requirenments????

Roger

If it will put out 130dB like my Klipsch KPT-684, stay flat all the way down to 15Hz like my Velodyne HGS-18IIs, or better yet, down to 13Hz like a Velodyne DD-18, do it as cleanly as a Klipsch should, which should be at least as well as my Velodynes, and have the excursion of an Epik Conquest, I'm all over it, so how close does it come to fitting those requirenments????

Roger

I'm going to go out on a limb here. It most likely won't approach anywhere near those numbers, but on the plus side it WILL be small[:P]

Roger

I'm going to go out on a limb here. It most likely won't approach anywhere near those numbers, but on the plus side it WILL be smallStick out tongue

Don't forget "smart"! [*-)]

Roger

"Exactly. And that was from a Tuba HT owner. I'll wager he has good ultra clean bass."

I'd wager that he doesn't have clean bass. I have seen distortion measurements on the THT, as well as other BFM offerings, and they aren't flattering. They do play loud on the other hand, which seems to fit most people's requirements and are cheap if you don't account for your time.

If you had to pay yourself wages for the time it takes to build a THT, you would be better off working those hours and just buying something else.

There are two kinds of DIY'ers, those that are cost conscious, and then those that are chasing performance that's not offered commercially.

"Exactly. And that was from a Tuba HT owner. I'll wager he has good ultra clean bass."

I'd wager that he doesn't have clean bass. I have seen distortion measurements on the THT, as well as other BFM offerings, and they aren't flattering.

It's just smoke unless you actually link to any measuments. You are the only second person I have heard who doesn't like them, and the first was confusing models.

And I don't get paid overtime, so my work in my spare time is free.

Refer to posts # 62, 63.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244199&page=3

They didn't get a full suite of distortion measurements on the THT with a driver cover in place before they let out the magic smoke. They did however get a full measurement without the driver cover plate as Wii on the AVS forum runs his for DJ'ing.

See also post # 58.

So measured outside? Isn't that like measuring the bass response of a Klipschorn standaing outside without the corner walls?

To an extent, yes, but the effects of the corner can be approximated and applied to the measurements. You can expect an additional 6dB at all frequencies, but where you see the peaks in the response, you're not going to get any more than 6dB. The extra loading offerred by the corner is only going to bring up the spots where you see dips in the passband (provided they're dips from acoustic mismatch of the mouth and not other artifacts).

But unlike the khorn, the flare of the THT isn't mating to the corner or using it as the final flare. The horn is already terminated and you've got a lossy coupling to the room corner.

Do you have dimensions of the throat in front of the driver? Knowing that, we could approximate the throat distortions that Beranek derived for exponential horns...

re: the new models ?

"Oh ye of little faith!"

the SW311 is a little monster

and a smart one too

For what it's worth, the specs at first glance are rather impressive for the size of the system, but why in the world doesn't Klipsch provide an overkill flagship subwoofer? The RSW-15 from way back when is a way better sub than the SW311...

"Room correction" is nice and all, but it doesn't make a tiny subwoofer displace more air.

Let's see that same technology with an 18" active and dual 18" passives...