DIY sub for Klipschorn based HT (and music) - Tuba HT - build done (except for finish)!

psg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

psg, i was sifting through the info looking to see what driver you used? can you save me a couple hours looking.

Send me a link to where you bought one? I did some searching on the internet, i found the recommended one from the BFM website.

Did you use that one, or use an Eminence.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered a miniDSP to do high-pass filtering and EQ and will configure the miniDSP using REW.

I have been told that I need the 2-way advanced plug-in, but I see that they also have a "2 way + Sub (2.1)" plug-in. Is one a better fit than the other? I see that I could setup two distinct audio chains using the R and L channels. One could be to EQ one output as flat as possible and setup the other with increasing bass (i.e. a "house" curve), and then switch the cable to the amplifier between the two depending on what I wanted.

I asked the miniDSP people what to get and they replied:

If you don't know between the 2way advanced and 2.1, you can always get
the 2.1Advanced since it will also allow you to get the the unit set as
Stereo or mono. In other words, you can mix the output to make a mono
sub if you need to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP is going to be using this for HT. The LFE channel on many movie sound tracks has a ton of infrasonics on them. 10 Hz content is common. I've seen waterfall charts (AVS forum I believe) that have scenes from movies with sub 20Hz content. The list is amazingly long. 30 Hz is great for music but a sub that can reproduce virtually anything on a movies LFE track is a whole different beast.

True, but all it does is shake the house and all things attached to the walls or touching floors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP is going to be using this for HT. The LFE channel on many movie sound tracks has a ton of infrasonics on them. 10 Hz content is common. I've seen waterfall charts (AVS forum I believe) that have scenes from movies with sub 20Hz content. The list is amazingly long. 30 Hz is great for music but a sub that can reproduce virtually anything on a movies LFE track is a whole different beast.

True, but all it does is shake the house and all things attached to the walls or touching floors.

You say that like it's a bad thing???[;)] If it's in the sound track, I wan't to hear (feel) it. A sub that can faithfully reproduce the LFE track really adds to the HT experience. There's nothing like watching a suspense movie and you get a sinking feeling in your stomach right before something is about to happen only to realize that there's LFE that you can't hear but can feel that caused the sensation. Then there's scenes like in the movie Pearl Harbor where your watching someone walking below deck on a destroyer and you feel the pulsations of the big diesel engines, yet the dialog is crystal clear. My point was simply that there's a lot of things going on with some sound tracks that some people miss out on, and never know it's even there.

We rented the Blu ray "Burlesque" this weekend. Man I am going to buy that disk! It's got a fantastic sound track! The drums on it are awesome ans sound more dynamic and real than on just about any music CD I have ever listenned to! I'd get peaks of 30W or so to the THT so you know what that means!

Now why can't we get music CDs recorded like that!!!???

I feel it's due numerous reasons including larger budgets, the sound engineer working with the assumption that the system includes a capable subwoofer, controlling in studio what gets sent to which channel... as well as working to create a feeling rather than pure reproduction…. to name a few. There are some beautifully dynamic CDs out there… but it’s a crap shoot sometimes.

But what I really wanted to say was… Your sub looks great!... talk about testing one's woodworking skills... [Y]
ROb

We rented the Blu ray "Burlesque" this weekend. Man I am going to buy that disk! It's got a fantastic sound track! The drums on it are awesome ans sound more dynamic and real than on just about any music CD I have ever listenned to! I'd get peaks of 30W or so to the THT so you know what that means!

Well they could. CD's are flat to 4 Hz. The problem with music is that the money is in crappy MP3's. We have 96 Khz sampling in blue ray with 24 bit dynamics and only movies make use of the technologies. It would be good for audio to get on board that standard, since I play all discs through my Blue Ray player, including CD's.

I feel it's due numerous reasons including larger budgets, the sound engineer working with the assumption that the system includes a capable subwoofer, controlling in studio what gets sent to which channel... as well as working to create a feeling rather than pure reproduction…. to name a few. There are some beautifully dynamic CDs out there… but it’s a crap shoot sometimes.

But what I really wanted to say was… Your sub looks great!... talk about testing one's woodworking skills... Yes
ROb

Hey ROb, where've you been? It's good to see you posting. Still have your IB?

I am currently "between subwoofers" and only using 5.0. I'm amazed at how good movies sound with my MWMs woofers, which I'm sure my receiver feeds the LFE channel to them, since they are set to "Full range" in the setup by Audyssey.

I don't think you are getting full LFE then, but likely a reduced version. Since LFE runs 10 dB hotter than the main channels, mixing it in completely would clip the digital signal. There's isn't enough headroom left.

I only listen at 85 db or less at my seat 13 ft. away. The MWM's have their own amplifier and I measure about 13 Milliwatts of power, which make that extra 10 db about 1/8 watt. average. If you add another 20 db of headroom, that brings the total to 12.5 watt peaks, which my amp can more than handle.

The LFE channel can be rerouted by the receiver's bass management function to a full range speaker. Yes I won't get into the teens and twenties with MWM cabs, but they do have output at 32 Hz. reduced somewhat.

Since my condo is attached, I can't do full subs until I get into a house. Then I will build stuff that goes to 10 hz. I have rough cut some lumber to do a 16 ft.tapped horn as a coffe table, but that will have to wait a while. Glad you are digging your Tuba, as that would be my other choice if it wasn't such a clumsy shape for my restricted space.

Yes, I would love for music to come out in blu ray. It's why I buy Blu ray concerts! The sound is so great!

Yep, and the same reason I try and do the same. Although regular DVD's done right can be indistinguishable from the Blue Ray version.

I am currently "between subwoofers" and only using 5.0. I'm amazed at how good movies sound with my MWMs woofers, which I'm sure my receiver feeds the LFE channel to them, since they are set to "Full range" in the setup by Audyssey.

I don't think you are getting full LFE then, but likely a reduced version. Since LFE runs 10 dB hotter than the main channels, mixing it in completely would clip the digital signal. There's isn't enough headroom left.

I only listen at 85 db or less at my seat 13 ft. away. The MWM's have their own amplifier and I measure about 13 Milliwatts of power, which make that extra 10 db about 1/8 watt. average. If you add another 20 db of headroom, that brings the total to 12.5 watt peaks, which my amp can more than handle.

The LFE channel can be rerouted by the receiver's bass management function to a full range speaker. Yes I won't get into the teens and twenties with MWM cabs, but they do have output at 32 Hz. reduced somewhat.

Since my condo is attached, I can't do full subs until I get into a house. Then I will build stuff that goes to 10 hz. I have rough cut some lumber to do a 16 ft.tapped horn as a coffe table, but that will have to wait a while. Glad you are digging your Tuba, as that would be my other choice if it wasn't such a clumsy shape for my restricted space.

Not what I meant...

When you downmix the LFE channel to main speakers on most receivers, the LFE signal is reduced at the pre-amp stage.

Rob! Where have you been?!

On a sabbatical of sorts, I guess... ;) Got busy with life, post ‘divorce’... but missing my hobbies. I did manage to build my interpretation of a Cornscala center channel... and started visually converting my D series Klipschorns into hybrid of B an C similar to the current versions... but I’ve been short on time. [*-)]

Yup... even though I avoided the IB discussion earlier (I had seriously considered some horn loaded alternatives, before settling on an IB)… I’m very satisfied with my IB, which is still pumping away effortlessly... :) How about you? See you’ve got one of each...

Reminds me of a quote from Lucky Number Slevin... “I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.”
ROb

Rob! Where have you been?!

On a sabbatical of sorts, I guess... ;) Got busy with life, post ‘divorce’... but missing my hobbies. I did manage to build my interpretation of a Cornscala center channel... and started visually converting my D series Klipschorns into hybrid of B an C similar to the current versions... but I’ve been short on time. Confused

Sabbatical from the forum? Or away from Montreal and busy?

I'm getting close to finally finishing my media room. That will be nice!

Yup... even though I avoided the IB discussion earlier (I had seriously considered some horn loaded alternatives, before settling on an IB)… I’m very satisfied with my IB, which is still pumping away effortlessly... :) How about you? See you’ve got one of each...

Reminds me of a quote from Lucky Number Slevin... “I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.”
ROb

Still got my IB and absolutely love it. I've been trying to try a lot of different configs, my next one will be a TH.

Still got my IB and absolutely love it. I've been trying to try a lot of different configs, my next one will be a TH.

Isn't it great to have so many choices theses days. Much better than Hi Fi in the late 60's early 70's. I remember M & K were the satellite/Subwoofer pioneers.