How big a TV can a Belle support??

edster00

Was that a Belle... or perhaps a LaScala that was shown with 2"x4" vertical support columns added to the top stage to distribute the weight for a weighty TV?

My guess is that it would... but I certainly would recommend getting the comment of a cabinet maker's cabinet maker like the Q-man... lest you have a fully horn overloaded Belle! -HornEd

I would like to do this to my TV someday.... go here - it's MacKlipsch's setup. It looks yummy. Check out the Belle Center pic:

thread

This will tell you what you want to know.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 04-02-2002 at 10:54 PM

Ed, the TV is really,really,heavy.After lifting one several times the idea of casters came to my mind.No way would I put one on MY Belle(if I had one).Good luck whatever you decide.Great TV,BTW!

Keith

My tv weighs 300 pounds, and the other 237... think that would be to heavy haha Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Edster00, MacKlipsch has the reinforced Belle I was thinking of. Your TV is heavier by about 50 lbs. Somewhat later MacKlipsch posted photos of the Belle interior with the 2"x4" supports.

My gut feel is that it will hold... but my sense of caution bids me to pay heed to Keith's comments.

Why don't you give Trey (1 800 KLIPSCH) Cannon a call, he really has been resourceful in giving me answers to my speculations. -HornEd

Ed,

I have the 32" Wega which weighs #188....The 2X4 bracing that I added gives me peace of mind, but I'm sure that it would have handled it without, but was concerned with the over time effects....I am positive that it will handle a 36" Wega.....Wega's are weighted towards the front of the set so be sure and anchor the back of the set to the back of the Belle so it doesn't tip forward in a quake or such....be sure and pad it well....I used towels for padding on top...works fine if you tuck the ends under the set....no shielding problems

Thanks MacKlipsch,

I am going to do the 2x4 mod you did just so I can sleep at night and not think about that big 'ole Tee Vee crashing to the floor!

I thought I would position it a bit back of the front of the speaker, but anchoring it somehow seems like a great idea.

This message has been edited by edster00 on 04-03-2002 at 04:56 PM

All I know is that when I was in college we had a couple of these; and I recall seeing three, hundred-pound women, dancing on top.

So you should be all set.

I don't think that we supported them at all (the tops of the Belles, that is)

Connor - "I don't think that we supported them at all (the tops of the Belles, that is)."

I imagine that the tops of the Belles were supported by Maidenform, or some such, rather than yourselves. Kinda depends on when/where you went to college. They might have been supported by free air, also.

Doug

------------------

My System

I'd say, don't just perch the WEGA on top of the Belle. I foresee some great risks which might not have been immediantly apparent in the joy of a new tube.

There is a better way. It would not be difficult to build a support from 3/4 inch ply in which the the Belle nests. Just two side supports, a piece across the top to take the load of the tube, and a piece of 1/4 inch ply in the back for triangulation. Home Depot can make the cuts for you.

There is a lot of danger in just setting the WEGA on top. Strength of the Belle aside, you're dealing with a top heavy load on a small base. Prone to tipping forward. There is about $6000 of components at risk considering the Belle and the WEGA.

Please consider the depths of the units. The Belle is 18.75 inches deep. A 36 inch WEGA is probably much more. So the support structure I propose should be as deep as the WEGA.

Maybe I'm being a bit of an alarmist. Still, an elementry support structure will prevent maring of the Belle and give a good table for the WEGA.

That's what I think.

Gil

Not to go on and on about it, but I'm with Gil. The 36" Wega is terribly front heavy.I bought a stand(not the Sony) to go with my mom-in-laws 36" XBR Wega.It is about 40" wide and holds 4 components, 2 side by side.The top is 1" MDF?,braced in the center, and it is rock solid.It weighs about 150 pounds. The TV has a rear strap that can be attached to prevent tipping. Still, months later,the entire assembly leans forward(on carpet). May need to screw/bolt the strap to the Belle and the Belle to the floor.The narrow depth of the speaker will compound the likelyhood of tipping.When you and a friend try to lift the TV, your A$$e$ will rise before the TV does.The TV is really heavy.You will not want to move it often.I have also had the displeasure of finding out how,over time,the heat of the TV can ruin the finish of fine wood.Much worse that the familiar water stain.I used a aluminum/fiberous type pad designed to be used under a Coleman stove,along with some pretty fabric.Didn't help.Just hoping to help you avoid problems Ed. Fab TV!

Keith

As a carpenter, I would recommend an auxilliary top. The idea would be to transfer as much of the weight of the tv to the sides, which could support three, 300# women, easy. The trick would be getting the top stiff enough, which usually means thicker, although experimenting with different materials (laminating 1/4" plate steel to 3/4" plywood?) could keep the thickness to a minimum. I'd of course wrap the shelf with solid wood, letting it hang down as a lip over the top of the speaker, to keep it from shifting. The main problem would be aesthetic. The internal bracing idea solves that.

fini

p.s. Good one, DD!