Speaker+Amp pairing question/reassurance

DisturbedJato

Hello everyone my names Dave and I am new around here on the Klipsch forums. I just have one quick question. I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch RF-63's from Barrets home theater. I got them for an amazing deal at 1,100 a pair since they were having a moving clearance sale. Currently they are powered by a standard 2 ch. amp that gives 100w at 8 ohms. I know my speakers are really underpowered since they need 180w. Here is my question-

I found a Rotel stereo amp that gives me the power I need however it is way out of my price range. So I found this one- http://www.crestaudio.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116498/number/CPX900-AB/cat/444/CPX%20900.cfm

I am familiar with Crest Audio and this amp is in my price range. So would this amp work with my speakers? I don't see why it wouldn't as it has banana plug outputs for the speakers and I can get a RCA to XLR conversion cable for my signal. I just want to make sure this will work before I spend my money. Any help or other options is much appreciated.

Dave

DisturbedJato(Dave),

Welcome to the forum.

Great choice in the RF-63's and a nice price too. I can't speak for your choice of amp but what I do know is that B&K, NAD, Marantz, and a 90's Denon integrated all sound great with my 63's.

What is your location and your $$$ range? With that info, us forum freaks can better assist you in your quest.

Bill

Thank you for the replies guys. I am located in northern Illinois and my price range would anything up to probably about 500-600 at the absolute most, I know its not a lot but what can I say I'm a semi broke college student. The reason why I'm drawn to this amp is the fact that I can get one new for around 325 and it gives the power output I want, although it does not look as fancy as the higher end stuff like Denon, B&K etc. The amp I chose is one that a DJ would use to power their speakers. When it comes down to it power is power, or am I mistaking this?

The reason why I want an amp that can do 180w RMS is because thats what Klipsch says their continuous power rating is. I am also very into car audio and I've always found that you need to give the speakers the proper power so they do not produce a clipped signal (i.e. not getting enough power to play at high volumes causing distortion and risking damaging either the speakers or amp or even both). I always like my amps to have a little headroom over my speakers. Also when I first got the speakers I was testing them out with my 100w per channel amp and was playing some music (at a fairly high volume but nothing to crazy) and all of a sudden the speakers made this loud sound and shut off completely. Luckily my speakers were not damaged instead I blew the A line of outputs on my amp so I switched to the B ones and everything works fine.

So it is more or less a safety thing with me knowing the fact that the 63's are getting the power they want and I don't risk blowing them through underpowering them. And of course playing them loud and enjoying the pure sound quality they have. I am extremely happy with my purchase of the 63's they are by far the best speakers I have ever heard [:)]

Any more advice/help is much appreciated!

Dave

I am familiar with Crest Audio and this amp is in my price range. So would this amp work with my speakers? I don't see why it wouldn't as it has banana plug outputs for the speakers and I can get a RCA to XLR conversion cable for my signal. I just want to make sure this will work before I spend my money. Any help or other options is much appreciated. Dave

If the Crest amp is a pro sound unit, it may not be as simple as just using RCA-to-XLR leads to connect it to your pre-amp. It may run at a different input level than a typical home audio unit, so you can run into hum and noise issues.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but when I connected a pro audio processor (an E-V Dx38) between my receiver and power amps, it took some very frustrating experimenting and finally calling in a pro audio tech to make it work. Among other things, he had to re-solder the RCA-to-XLR leads a couple of times before finding the right configuration.

You could just keep the volume down a bit for now and look for an affordable home audio amp to show up on Ebay or Audiogon, or save up for that Rotel. Most pro units are designed to be reliable and sound good at max volume, while at home you'll be mostly listening at lower levels where you'll be able to hear hiss and distortion that wouldn't be as obvious in a dance club, for example.

Dave,

I would jump on that B&K amp listed in a heartbeat!!

Only reason I commented on the 180 watt thing was because a lot of people who aren't as informed about audio get a little too hung up on wattage numbers and speaker/amp matching. I can tell that you know what you're talking about

You do have to be careful when trying to integrate a pro amp into a home setting. A lot of pro amps sound great but do have some limitations. A pre-amp or receiver designed for home use doesn't usually have the output voltage high enough to drive a pro amp to its full capability. Some have loud fans that are always on and unless the amp is put in another room or an enclosed cabinet the fan volume can be annoying.

Unfortunately watts aren't watts when it comes to comparing electronics. Manufacturers use different types of tests to determine wattage ratings. Some tests are made at 1kHz, some are made using the entire 20Hz to 20kHz frequency range. Some are rated at an 8 ohm load, some 6, some 4.

I would say that if you bought a nice amp that put out an honest 125 to 150 watts per channel, considering the speakers you have, it will be all the power you'll ever need and then some.

Thank you guys. That B&K does look like a very nice unit....if only I had 200 to spare at this moment I would jump on it. I figured there might be some form of issue with the pro audio amp thats why I wanted to ask first. It sounds like it could more of a hassle than it worth. Currently I do only play my music at lower volumes just so I don't risk it with my speakers. The amp I am using is an Insignia one my dad had sitting around that I could use temporarily. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153;+-+200W+2.0+Channel+Stereo+Receiver/9693507.p?id=1218151628383&skuId=9693507 I know this is nothing special at all it was just something to use for the moment. My dad uses is old school Nakamichi amp to power his Heresy II's.....lucky lol.

I put 500-600 as a max I would spend in the future. I'm asking these questions now so when I do have the money I won't be wasting time researching, I find it easier to research while I don't have extra spending cash and then when I find what I want I jump on it when I do. Trust me guys I'm going to sell stuff I don't need to try and get that B&K.....I really want/need it. One more question- Currently I use my Insignia for my t/v and my laptop for my music (so two inputs). The B&K only has one input so would I be able to take a RCA from one audio out on the Insignia to the input on the B&K? Basically using the Insignia as a pre amp.

Haha sorry guys about the massive text blocks Im putting space in when I type it out but when it posts it changes. That is essentially the same amp I have although mine is the older model (they have the exact same specs tho). Also in the picture of the back you can see the two AUX outs I was talking about earlier.

I know the Insignia amp is nowhere near quality, trust me no feelings hurt here I want to get rid of this thing asap. Like I said I got it for free and its just a placeholder so I can use my speakers until I can get something 100X better and really set my speakers free.