Yamaha RX-Z7 preliminary review

HudsonValleyNoah

First (and going for understatement here)

WOW!

Easily worth twice the price of the RX-V1900 (on sale.)

I can control the Z7 from my laptop.

Power off and on.

Switch inputs.

Volume up or down.

I bring the Z7's Internet radio up on the laptops screen and mouse click between 5 levels of menus with 5 clicks.

I did not know how much I hated remote controls until I traded for full GUI with a mouse.

Heavenly.

The Internet radio is very cool, and the quality of the sound is surprisingly good for (what I think is) MP3 level w/ "enhancement".

I cranked it up for a while - man, do my pair of Chorus 1's ROCK.

I am going to sell 2 pair of Chorus II's or a pair each of Chorus and Chorus II's...

Depending on some A / B testing.

I really really like my Z7.

More to come.

N

Guest davidness

I have been using a Yamaha RX-Z7 for about a year and a half.

I, also, love it. I really like the ability to completely control the unit from both my iPhone and my iPad. You can do this using the access to the Yamaha's built in webserver control screens, or using the Yamaha iPhone application (not as good as the web interface). Because I also control my iTunes library using the Apple Remote application, and control my lights using an iPhone application, the all-in-one control ability is really, really cool.

Yes, the Yamaha also comes with traditional remotes.

The RX-Z7 is newer than the RX-Z11, although the Z11 has some more features.

NewEgg.com ran the Yamaha RZ-Z7 on sale this past weekend for only $1170 !!!!!!!!!!!! Holy-Cow Batman! (New, Closeout).NewEgg usually run their best sales on the weekends.Many months ago I saw the RZ-Z11 for about $2500, but I suspect that model is totally sold out.

Enjoy the RZ-Z7. I love mine, and let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help or compare notes.

Wonder how it will work or if they will even bother shipping to CANADA.

When I checked Newegg.ca, there were no Yamaha listings. Months ago, I tried to order a Yamaha guitar pedal from Guitar Center and was told that Yamaha USA doesn't allow US dealers to ship to Canada, no doubt because they have an agreement with Yamaha Music Canada. Gotta protect the home market dealers, after all.

It's not just Yamaha, either. There are other brands that won't allow their products to be sold across the border. Of course, if you know someone who lives in the US, they could buy it and ship it to you.