Pandora

jon k

Me loves Pandora. Me also loves k-horns. Me loves plagiarism. ha-ha Sorry MLK, I just got started and couldn't stop.

But seriously folks, Pandora is cool. I'm surprised it's free actually. I did try the paid version until I realized I couldn't get 192kbs with it on my Squeezebox. Even 128kbs sounds good, though. Don't know how it can sound as good as it does at that bit rate.

• Moderators

Me loves Pandora. Me also loves k-horns. Me loves plagiarism. ha-ha Sorry MLK, I just got started and couldn't stop.

But seriously folks, Pandora is cool. I'm surprised it's free actually. I did try the paid version until I realized I couldn't get 192kbs with it on my Squeezebox. Even 128kbs sounds good, though. Don't know how it can sound as good as it does at that bit rate.

Thats one of the things I can't seem to find an answer on, what you can and can't get 192 kbs on ?

I would sign up now if It would let me get 192kbs.

Thats one of the things I can't seem to find an answer on, what you can and can't get 192 kbs on ?

I would sign up now if It would let me get 192kbs.

Well guys unfortunately Pandora only supports high quality streams on the computer right now, Here is what I pulled from the website:

• High Quality 192Kbps audio, one of the highest-quality streaming music bitrates available, for each and every song in our collection, when you listen to:

• Pandora on your computer via our website and the Mini Tuner, or via the
    • Pandora One Desktop Application.

Pandora mobile apps and in-home devices currently do not
      support High Quality 192Kbps streams, although we're very interested in
      expanding High Quality audio options at some point in the future.

I put the key point in bold and italics. For some reason you can only get high quality streams on your computer. Everything else doesn't support that yet. I guess there is a small hope that one day they will expand to home devices since they're "interested" in doing so. I only listen to Pandora on my phone and Roku box so that sucks. I guess the main benefit then would be no hour limit and no commercials if you don't want to listen on your computer. Hope that helped Dtel.

Also what do you have your blu ray settings set to? Do you have it set to Bitstream for audio? Also is Dynamic Sampling turned off. Those are the settings I have and I don't have the volume problems. I'm going to change it to PCM and see what results I get once I get off of work.

• Moderators

I had see that and that's what confused me, I use a Samsung BD player with the built in app. The BD player gets it's signal from my wireless router. There are apps built in the BD player to play anything on my computer including any pictures.

I am just hoping. [:P]

Yeah it would work if there was a way to stream Pandora from your computer to the BD player....bypassing the built in Pandora App but I don't know of a way to do that[:S] but hopefully they will get enough requests for it....that way they will actually look into it more. But for right now the only way to get high quality Pandora on your home theater is to use a home theater pc....or hook up a pc to your sound system temporarily.....but hey if we all keep sending them emails requesting that feature then they may add it sooner than later.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have been listening to Pandora for several months. I use it on the Sonos for home and my Iphone/Ipad for work and the car. Here are some of my favorite channels, sometimes I use just the band name and sometimes a song:

Smoke Two Joints - based upon a Sublime song, great mix and I discovered the band Pepper that I didn't know about.

MGMT - This is the wife's favorite channel

Lawyers, Guns and Money - Great mix of "classic" rock

Runnin' with the Devil - for when I need a shot of 80's metal, it includes lots of Motley Crue.

Get Up Stand Up - gives a good mix of Reggae.

Why Can't I touch it? - nice 70's english punk. Discovered Wreckless Eric from this station.

The stange thing about Pandora and my stations is that if I listen to them long enough anyone of them will eventually play a Rolling Stones song!

I guess the cheapest way would be a cheap wireless laptop with a good sound card.

I did find this this morning about netflix streaming movies going to 5.1.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104407-Netflix-Losing-the-Disc-and-Upgrading-on-PS3

Yeah that probably would be the cheapest way. But yes I'm excited because Netflix is finally streaming in 5.1. I haven't found any yet though [:(] and its only on the PS3 right now with other devices being added in the future. I don't really like watching movies on the PS3 because it sucks a lot of power for just movie watching. Especially since I have the Roku box and Samsung Blu Ray that can do the same thing using 1/10th of the power of the PS3. Hopefully they'll add Roku and Samsung support before the holidays! I really want to see how big of a difference there is streaming in 5.1.......

OAN Pandora has helped me discover new people as well. Imma have to check those stations out as well!

• 1 year later...