OT: Ebay Purchase Woes...

fini

A couple weeks ago, I bought a mobile base w/extension for my Unisaw. The seller described it as a floor model,perhaps slightly scratched. Hey, OK with me, I saved $40 off Amazon. Well, it arrives yesterday, and it's been well used, wheels badly worn, bent and missing parts...and it's not the model he listed in the auction! It doesn't fit my saw! So, I immediately contact the seller, asking how he'll resolve this. He replies, well just send it back. Problem is, it'll cost at least $30 to send it back. In his ad, his return policy states, full refund within 3 days, excluding shipping. I know that eBay says they will back me up, so I'm confident I can get my money back (item cost andoriginal shipping cost), but I hate being stuck having to ship the dang thing back!

Anyone had luck getting return shipping paid for? I don't think eBay would back me up on that, even though it's not the item the seller said it was.

Big Cliff,

Yes, I used Paypal. I don't know if their policy differs that much from eBay's regarding resolving these kinds of issues. Have you any experience getting a seller to pay for the return postage, as well? I could conceivably make this mobile base work with some modification. If I can't get the return postage paid for, that's a pretty good sized percentage of the value. All in all,it's only $30 or so (return postage), but it's $30...[;)] Probably not even worth a thread here! I could keep it and give the seller a negative rating (currently 100%), but he'd probably do the same to me.

eBay Buyer Protection

Paypal buyer protection

Hmm, seems they're pretty similar. I don't think I have any back-up for getting the return shipping paid for. I wonder what's the cheapest way to get it back to WA from CA? [;)]

getting shipping back can be done on a case by case basis. there has to be evident gross negligence on the part of the seller and an earnest effort by the buyer to be prudent.

what do I mean by this...example.....I always send a message to the seller thru ebay and ask if they are going to ship using carrier guidelines for electronics i.e double box, pad item in box one, pad box one in box two...no newspaper..shredded paper etc...not used boxes....Im willing to pay a little extra for correct packing. In a few cases items were received damaged and in used boxes, with newspaper balls. I got a full refund and the seller was charged shipping...it was clear that I was prudent and the seller was negligent. another thing I do, is send at lest one email out of ebay....if the seller responds out of ebay...he will loose most disputes for not complying with basic polices.

Big Cliff,

Yes, I used Paypal. I don't know if their policy differs that much from eBay's regarding resolving these kinds of issues. Have you any experience getting a seller to pay for the return postage, as well? I could conceivably make this mobile base work with some modification. If I can't get the return postage paid for, that's a pretty good sized percentage of the value. All in all,it's only $30 or so (return postage), but it's $30...Wink Probably not even worth a thread here! I could keep it and give the seller a negative rating (currently 100%), but he'd probably do the same to me.

eBay Buyer Protection

Paypal buyer protection

Hmm, seems they're pretty similar. I don't think I have any back-up for getting the return shipping paid for. I wonder what's the cheapest way to get it back to WA from CA? Wink

Gregg,

The seller can only leave you a positve feedback.

"Buyers can leave a positive, neutral, or negative rating, plus detailed seller ratings. Sellers can leave a short comment and positive ratings only for their buyers"

Bob

Close, Marty! Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman is running for governor of CA. HP boss Carly Fiorini is trying to unseat Senator Boxer. I wish someone from Klipsch was running for city council...

I see your dilema, they will get back you original shipping charge but not the return. I guess what oldtimer said to go through your credit card co, might be the best way to handle it. I have done several transactions on ebay and only had one bad experiance. Did plenty of communications with the seller and eventually he agreed to give me a full refund and split the return shipping with me. Good luck maybe you can get it worked out. I try to do more on Craigslist then ebay.