Altec 511b users and Active Crossover users.

The Dude

So here is what I have and here is what I am working on, Mainly for HT.

A pair of 511bs, yeah that's pretty much it.

No they will be sitting on top of EV Regency cabs, which seem to have been built slightly different cosmetically but they were a strait across trade with some old kustom columns that didn't work so I figured what the heck plus it helped me get a better deal on the 511s.

I was plane on putting some evm15bs, or dl15ws, both evs I would like to stuff some 15wks since they have a 4 ohm voice coil which is preferred for a later down the road k-horn project. But a good efficient 8 ohm I think would work for now, since moneys a little tight and I would like to see this project up and running before football season ends.

What I was wondering is whats a good driver for the 511bs that's not to bad in sound and price,

Also if I was to use a active crossover do I still need some sort of cap, in there for protection to the horn drivers. If so what is recommended, if not well that answers that question.

If I do decide to go active crossovers whats a good one I know the evs are popular around here but any one tried the Berhingers, or is there a brand not to buy. Whats a good amp to put on the top end, I figured a good powerful solid state pro amp would do the trick on the subs.

Is there any good low cost passive crossovers, and yes Alks are probably out of the question. I just don't have a few hundred to spend on a pair. Which something like this could happen down the road.

Well if I am missing anything let me know, or if none of this makes since I am sure there will be a few of you to brake it down to understand my gibberish.

thanks for any help in advance,

P.S. I do have a good solid state power amp I could rob from a another system for now, and a HK power amp I could see to be fixed for the top end but I feel something like that at a 100watts might be to much.

Duder

That will work.

The Regency enclosure works well with a K33E.

I've had a couple sets with the K55V on a big radial horn.

TDM makes a very nice crossover, very easy to upgrade with higher quality parts (if you like).

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDM-24CX-4-ELECTRONIC-CROSSOVER-RACK-MOUNTABLE-STEREO-3-/260674259979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb1658c0b

I have owned several of these over the years, they sound better than most of the other brands available.

24CX2 stereo bi-amp

24CX3 stereo tri-amp

24CX4 quad bi-amp, or stereo tri-amp.

Most of these have XLR connectors, but a few have 1/4".

I have a 24CX2 with 1/4", send me an e-mail if interested.

Thanks djk, shot me a pm for a price on that 24cx2. I have some cheap 15s that I will have to use now, I am running a little low on cash. But I am heading to a garage sale that a pro audio shop is having from 9-5 if I don't get anything there I might be interested in yours. I sitll have to pick up a couple of amps or at least one. Wait did I say 9-5 what am I sitll doing here go to go before all the goods are gone.

Nick

A common active crossover is the entry level Behringer DCX2496. You can read lots of opinions on the unit on the web. I am still using one on my current system and honestly do not have any major complaints. I hope to soon get an Ashly unit as an upgrade, but it is 4 times the cost. I beleive Ashly, Electrovoice and a few others are comparable. If money is no object, then look at XTA, Sabine and BSS. The higher end ones are 10x the cost of a Behringer.

I might suggest starting out with a used DCX and then upgrading once you know you are going to stick with an active.

I originally protected my drivers with caps, but found that they do affect the FR of the driver as you get close to the frequencies being protected. I finally just took them out and am just careful when messing with the crossover.