Gone Vertical!

Bonzo

The Craigslist ad said Klipsch Cornwalls $800, no pics., about 70 miles south of me. Seller left his phone number so, I called him. He told me they belonged to his father and they were Cornwall II's. Without further inquiry, I thought they were the later Corns from the 80's. To my surprise they were "verticall" CII's from 1971, J code. I did inform him they were pretty rare but he took $750 for them and I couldn't get them in the truck fast enough! Walnut oil finish, very nice grain, with black grills and the older logo. They naturally sound awesome through the Scott 299c! I am having trouble removing the grills, probably never been off the speakers. I do not want to damage the trim so I will probably just leave them be. They have a couple of stains and I would like to clean but I guess I can live with it. The cabinets are in great shape, sharp corners, just a ding here and there. Big bonus, no plant rings! Anyone know when they stopped making the original CII and if they were special order or??? May just have found my "dream speakers!"

post-18652-1381961778713_thumb.jpg

post-18652-13819621568036_thumb.jpg

congrats on you speakers. the grills are not removable. the cloth is stapled around the motor board with at least 1000 staples. the motor board is held in with 17 screws. i had 71-72 & 74 verticals and sold all of them here to forum members.

i believe 1974 was the last year for verticals and 75 was the last year for the pie slice logo until the new ones came out.

when you set them up have the horns to the outside.

beautiful grain.

Thanks for the info Budman, I appreciate it! I guess I will be leaving the grills alone. Wonder why most all of the Klipsch grills were removable save for this one? I do have them with the horns on the outside, in the corners on a 12' wall. They throw a great sound stage even in my smaller room. So far, I am very impressed.

Thanks guys and yes, consec. serial numbers and mirror imaged pair. Crossovers and everything else is box stock. Are the woofers CTS or ??? I do wish the grills were removable but, that's the way it goes. Can't seem to turn them off.................

Nice buy, Bonzo!

Your serial number picture looked familiar to me... I checked and my 68 Cornwalls have the same people who signed yours under Inspected and Tested except they were reversed with Inspected:Portus Gilley and Tested: NWB. You certainly see the N.W. Bradford name a lot on these speakers!