is it quality or..........

quadklipsh

guys , whenever i get back from the tiring drill at the office hours, and want to have some relaxation , i sit back on the rugs next to my system and repeat the songs that i have to play , and believe you me , marantz 2230 simply soothes me out !!!!!and its better than any massage!!!period ..

well, as i sometimes switch back n forth between my new bought amp( diatone DA p7 and DA A7 amp) and the old marantz 2230 , i keep thinking, which was better engineered and how do i decide through auditioning ....

i mean sure its my ears that decide , but simply put the marantz has more weight , more ummmmm grams , more oomph , and more mass in the mid section and the lows are much much ...much beefier .the treble sound mellow , never harsh , kinda roundy , and better to the ears , one simply says , SWEET for what this amp sounds like ...

though my other colleague who had better amps and is more experienced, finalized that the diatone mitsubishi is the cleaner , and more maturer of the two ...

but when i do a side by side comparison, the diatone sounds like a deflated amp !!![:(]

i paid 20,000 for the diatone and only 6500 for the marantz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah malette , i agree man , just horrible it is to see an amp that doesnt sound good , even though it is not adding anything to the material ....

its just that perhaps i should tune my ears a little more ...

i just cant help denying that the beefier amp takes my attenttion more !

There are so many vintage marantz owners here , who also own much more expensive amps, do you think marantz amps are unnatural , they add something , like much of bass , or do they round off things , especially treble ,( the peaks are so well shaped )

is vintage marantz of the 22xx series , considered hifi ??? or what s it considered overall ....

to me its a keeper ...[:)]

I have no illusions about price peformance. I find Class D amps, the Panasonic SA recievers which I have on my two big systems, and tripath-based designs, which I use on my bookshelf systems, are as neutral as I desire without the "clinical" shading of SS or the cost of tubes.

I own some fine tube equipment, and listen through it on occasion, though I (luckily) don't hear a great deal of difference, They all do what they are designed to do-amplify. If they (appear to) improve or degrade the sound audibly, there is a problem somewhere.

Dave

woho ..... panasonic ????and they sound close to your tubes ????

cmon , i get a sick feeling to my tummy just reading this , sorry bro but i have a feeling they are just too amateur sounding .japanese typical sound ......... anyhow.... i dont care what they make . i just dont like them .plain n simple .

also it hurts to know that we get a very little difference as we spend more bucks up the ladder ....

Don't let their looks deceive you. I had a Sonic Impact T-amp with my Forte II fronts. It was powered by AA batteries!! When you hear how loud and clean your speakers can sound powered by batteries it really opens up your thinking about amplifiers.

Yes. I had some friends over one night to listen to music and play Guitar Hero. I used the T-amp and everyone commented on how they loved the music and how everything sounded fantastic. I unhooked the amp and handed it to them and said "This is the amplifier I'm using." At first no one believed me but after showing them the wiring for everything they believed me.

oho ..... panasonic ????and they sound close to your tubes ????

Has nothing to do with Panasonic. Has to do with the science. You have to go out of your way to build a modern Class D amp that is not accurate and musical. It's just an algorithm, basically a computer program. If you add something, it doesn't help. If you take away something, it doesn't work.

OK, some techies here could quibble with those statements, but they are generally true for those of us not in the engineering profession or playing engineers on TV.

With tube or SS designs, there are almost infinite ways to design the circuits. Not so much with Class D.

There is an advantage to letting your ears do the judging as opposed to your wallet. There was a lot of debate about the Tripath and TI designs. I can't tell any difference. Both accurate. Spend your bucks on speakers, turntables, music, and such where it makes a CLEARLY audible difference unless you are purchasing looks and prestige.

In that case, you cannot spend too much.

Dave

At the time I was using a Cambridge Audio CD player, 300SE.

The sound from the T-amp was incredibly smooth. It actually gave me goosebumps the first time I listened to it. It had the best stereo separation and imaging of any amp I've ever used. Nothing sounded even close to being harsh.

I've had a Marantz SR7001 receiver, Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver, Rotel RB-980BX amp, harman/kardon HK3480 integrated amp, harman/kardon HK730 twin-powered integrated amp and Sony STR-D1011S receiver.

The sound from the T-amp was incredibly smooth.

I am not going to put words in your mouth about other d amps, but I'll borrow your statement if you don't mind.

I have a Sonic T-amp. Totally cheesy in construction. I am listening to it right now driving my Frazier Monte Carlos in our library. The source is a Radio Shark (correct spelling) USB FM tuner and our local NPR station. The sound is extraordinary. Accurate.

My main (Klipschorn) system is usually driven by a Panasonic SA-XR25.

My second "main" system (Frazier Eleven) system by an identical one.

I also have a Kenwood Class D reciever I've had in the main system before.

I also have a little PC card Class D that's buss powered in the PC.

I am listing them to state: They all "sound" alike.

Accurate, clean, and effortless when presented with a well matched load.

That's my story and no price placed on an amplifier no matter how impressive is going to get me excited unless it can at LEAST equal that!

Dave