quick question about multiple speakers on a single channel.

Schu

quick question about multiple speakers on a single channel...

Since I am technical newbie, I have often wondered what would be the consiquence of using more than one speaker per channel... eg using two cornwalls for the left channel and two for the right? what about three pre channel?

does it half the output?

thanks and sorry for the newbie question

If you connect them in parallel it halves the impedance and can significantly increase the amp draw. If you connect them in series it doubles the impedance and reduces amp draw.

What is recommended is to match the impedance the amp expects. If you connect 8ohm speakers in parallel then you would want to use the 4 ohm tap on the amp. In series, the 16 ohm tap.

Edit: I am speaking of connecting two 8-ohm speakers. If you go to 3 per channel in parallel the impedance goes to 2 ohms. You will cook your amp unless it was designed for 2 ohm operation. In series the impedance becomes 24 ohms and probably won't hurt anything but also won't load the amp properly. It would probably sound thin and weak on each speaker.

It is not good to have multiple sources reproducing the same sound. The two speakers will interfere with each other where their coverage patterns overlap.

A method used to by pro sound guys to increase output is to stack two speakers vertically horn to horn. This would probably be unnecessary for home use.

A couple of "ifs" are included in the question that you pose (other than electrical chracteristics):

1) if the speakers do not have nearly identical output characteristics (drivers, boxes, room position), then multiple speakers will generate a diffraction field in the listening area that can affect sound quality

2) If the speakers do not have controlled output "polars", then there can be diffraction issues in the listening field

Otherwise, using multiple speakers in parallel is exactly what big acts and sports venues use to create the very high SPLs without generating large amounts of distortion. If you look at some home speaker models from Infinity, Mcintosh and Bose, you will see stacked multiples of simple/cheap drivers in a vertical line array. Electrostatic and planar speakers are effectively doing the same thing by having large radiating areas.

One thing that I notice is that there seems to be a tendency to stack speakers on top of one another (often inverting the top speakers) in home environments. This usually creates bass response issues. Low ceilings (<=8' ) can also be a problem in that you are multiplying "ceiling bounce" issues.

All in all, I'd say that it's a mixed-bag answer.

Chris

Chris, Don and Mark are right. If.... you do it.... It would be a real good idea to have separate amps for each "pair". I've fooled around with "stacking" since 1972... Some combos work, others do not. Some sound really good when the gain is controlled by each amp and you simply play "sound engineer" to set the amps the way it sounds best for that particular source music. And you have to be very careful about bass comb filtering, etc. I get away with it because the room is treated, designed with slightly splayed walls and a sloped ceiling, separate but idential amps, and a PEQ to do minute teeny weeny node corrections. But once that is set right and I change the music source material (as in put in another CD...) I have to fiddle with it again.... It's fun and worthwhile when it's set up right, but not really practical for the average user in the average home. That being said... Mostly I listen to pair-A on amp #1 on one day, Pair-B on amp #2 the next day, etc., etc. On Friday evening or Saturday afternoon, all hell breaks loose in the man cave with the infamous "Wall of Voodoo". Like I said, fun to play with, and having multiple amps allows me to test speakers without having to unhook the primary pairs. then agai, that's my hobby... Just some thoughts.

[H]