for you steak 'n shake fans

BigStewMan

Just saw this article:

CLEVELAND, Tenn. — Some don't like it hot. A Steak 'n Shake restaurant in Cleveland, Tenn., was sued by a couple who claimed it served a hot sauce that sent their son to the hospital.

Tim and Mary Katherine Gann said a restaurant server gave their minor child a bottle of Blair's Mega Death Sauce for his chili and encouraged him to eat some. When he did, he broke out in hives, had trouble breathing and suffered severe pain.

The brand isn't customarily served by the chain, according to the Cleveland Daily Banner. Mega Death's maker warns that it's "500 times hotter than a jalapeno."

A spokeswoman for franchise owner Debbie Richmond said Thursday the company wasn't commenting.

The lawsuit seeks $10,000 in compensation and $50,000 punitive damages.

• Moderators

I would bet he won't listen to strangers any more !

The should also sue the hot sauce company for false advertisement because he didn't die, and they call it death sauce. [:S]

I wouldn't eat it either. [A]

If that's all they are suing for S&S should pay and get a signature on it for no further damages.

I am NOT a doctor and I don't play one on TV...OTOH, the symptoms don't sound like anything associated with capsicum in the normal sense. Regardless of how it may FEEL, it has no impact whatsover on tissues. It simply triggers those pain neurons in a BIG way and makes you think you're gonna die. 30 minutes later and there is no sign it ever happened.

Certainly appears to be an allergic reaction to SOMETHING. The S&S guys just gave them something jury worthy to work with.

Dave

As a collector of hot sauce, I can definitely say this is not a sauce that anyone should consider giving to a child, regardless of their known allergies. Blair's Mega Death sauce has a Scoville Scale rating of 550,000 units as compared to a typical jalapeno pepper which comes in around 5,000 units. I consider Blair's Mega Death sauce to be an extreme-heat category sauce and its directions actually warn the user that it should not be given to children and to dilute the sauce prior to serving.

When using sauces of this category, they aren't intended to be used as a "topical" sauce, such as someone might slather liberally on their taco. Instead, this sauce is a concentrate that, if not first diluted, should be used in a manner that "suspends" the sauce in a liquid and then stirred-in. A good example would be to place one drop or two into a large bowl of chili and then stir thoroughly before eating. When I said “one or two drops”, I wish to be emphatic! This stuff is extremely, seriously-strong and nothing to play around with. This is not the type of “funny-haha” stuff you slip into someone's water when they aren’t looking like Tabasco Sauce and then laugh when they drink it. This level of sauce takes your breath away, instantly! It can hurt some people. I would not be surprised if it might even cause convulsions in some children. People with heart or lung problems should avoid this level of sauces.

Yes, I have it in my collection along with numerous other Blair's products up to one that is rated at 4-Million Scoville Units. No, I don't eat sauces that hot; I only collect it. I draw the line at my personal consumption around 750,000 to 1 Million units. I have collected more than 250 bottles of hot sauce in the past 15 years and there are at least 20 different sauces open for use in my fridge at all times. Friends who visit always have fun experimenting with them...carefully.

In my opinion, the server was an idiot for recommending this to anyone in the restaurant because the average adult person would be caught totally unprepared for a sauce this hot. It would be criminal to give it to a child. I also believe it would be foolish and irresponsible for a parent or guardian to give something to a child without first knowing exactly what they were giving them. As far as Steak-N-Shake goes, if they haven't already fired the idiot who recommended this to the child and served the stuff, they should do so immediately. Many bars & restaurants do offer extreme-heat, hot sauces to their customers, such as Dave's Insanity Sauce (350,000 units), Endorphin Rush (300,000 units), etc., however, the clientele in such establishments are usually hot sauce savy and are aware of what they are getting into and such places would never recommend giving such sauces to children. Steak-N-Shake is not known for its hot sauces.

Just in case you were wondering: The hottest known "sauce" in the world is Blair's 16 Million Private Reserve, which has a Scoville Scale rating of 16 Million. Rather than a sauce, it is actually in crystallized form. -Glenn

Below: Blair's 16 Million Private Reserve (currently the world's hottest-known "sauce")...

post-10177-1381961827684_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819621938136_thumb.jpg

The History Channel had a show on hot sauce and peppers just the other day. At the Tabasco plant they showed two forklifts, one nearly new and one 2 1/2 years old. The older model was literally corroded to pieces. They said it had about 6 months of life left in it. After that it would be scrapped. Some of the workers wore masks while others didn't, having become used to the conditions after working there for a while.

Very hot foods and sauces are not suitable for most children, be careful.

A few of the Blair's Sauces I have currently in my collection. Their bottles usually have a skull keychain on them or the cap has been sealed with hot wax with a skull embedded in the wax. If it was intended for children they probably would have used a Binky instead. -Glenn

post-10177-1381961827805_thumb.jpg

post-10177-13819621939116_thumb.jpg

Glenn, i knew you collected hot sauce, so thank you for commenting. I looked up this mega-death stuff on their website and it definitely looks out of my league. i love hot stuff; but, personally, i couldn't tolerate even dave's insanity sauce. And i agree, giving something of this caliber to a kid is about the dumbest thing that i've ever heard. no steak-n-shakes out west; but, i've been to one when i lived in michigan--can't believe they "stock" this stuff? i wonder if the worker brought in a bottle on their own? steve

• Moderators

i wonder if the worker brought in a bottle on their own?

Probably exactly what happened, a teenage employee daring another teen customer / friend who of course wanted to look cool in front of there friends. And if it was just a stranger wanting him to put something on his food he is dumber than I had originally thought.

Then a problem happens and the parents want to sue someone, I would bet it was not put on his food as a random customer !

That's what I was thinking when I said "I would bet he won't listen to strangers any more ".

Just in case you were wondering: The hottest known "sauce" in the world is Blair's 16 Million Private Reserve, which has a Scoville Scale rating of 16 Million. Rather than a sauce, it is actually in crystallized form. -Glenn

Below: Blair's 16 Million Private Reserve (currently the world's hottest-known "sauce")...

16 Million Scoville points?!!?? [6] From what I understand and know about hot sauces (being somewhat of a conniosour myself), that is pure capsaicin! No wonder it is a "crystallized form".

About the Steak-n-Shake, whenever I've been in one, I don't recall any real hot sauces being there. I don't care much for these lawsuits that seems get dropped at every moment, but I have to agree that server was an idiot to recommend giving a sauce like this to a child. This suit may very well have merit here.

BTW, I recently learned that they are putting in a Steak-n-Shake right here in Fredericksburg! I am actually pretty stoked as I do like the place.

Steve: The lawsuit that really gets me is the recent one in Brazil where the McDonalld's manager sued saying they cause his weight gain of 65 pounds over 12 years and was awarded $18,000! What, did McDonald's pry open his flipping mouth and force-feed him? Give me a break! Are there any responsible people left in this world?? -Glenn

i saw that one too Glenn. Geez, people will do anything for a buck. the manager said they gave free food and he felt obligated, as the manager, to sample the food to ensure it's quality. right...if the food sucked, your customers would tell you. another selfish person trying to get in ronald mcdonald's deep pockets.

Steve: The lawsuit that really gets me is the recent one in Brazil where the McDonalld's manager sued saying they cause his weight gain of 65 pounds over 12 years and was awarded $18,000! What, did McDonald's pry open his flipping mouth and force-feed him? Give me a break! Are there any responsible people left in this world?? -Glenn

Now, that is indeed bogus! I remember seeing something about somebody else that tried to sue McDonald's because they claimed it made them fat. Well, of course, if that is all you eat, you are going to get fat. Well, I hope that dude that got the $18,000 uses it on a gym membership. Maybe that should've been a condition of the lawsuit award.