Mix matching Reference I with Reference II

e2g

Hello all, I am new to this forum and new to HT. I have had Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers for quite some time and have now bought a plasma since the beginning of this year to start off with HT. I am already learning alot but have more to learn. I recently (this summer) bought RF 82's and RC62 for my system (Onkyo 507 that I am planning on upgrading to something like a Denon 3311 or a Pioneer 1120 - still trying to decide - and a Emotiva XPA 3 in the future). After the new Reference II series came out, I have seen so much talk about how great they are over the Reference I. Even more talk about RF63's > RF 82s. Anyways, back to what I want to ask

I recently purchased the RB 61's I, and they sent me the RB61 II. I am trying to figure out if I should keep them or not as I couldn't find any info about mixing these with the older reference line, other than noticing a difference between two complete systems (all Reference I vs all Reference II). Along my readings of RF 63's vs RF82s, I have read and seen how beautiful the RF7 II's are. Which leads me into my next question. Would it make more sense to return the bookshelf speakers and use my RF82s as rears, and in the future get some RF 63/83s or RF 7's for the fronts? Of course, I would have to upgrade the center as well. I am happy with what I have now (RF 82 and RC62) but I know I would appreciate a better sound and not feel like I want to upgrade any time soon. Am I going to crazy with this?

you interested in trading your rb-61 II's for mint, prefect condition, black rb-61's? me presonally i would have no problem mixing them with my older reference speakers, they are just gonna be used as surrounds, but if it is something you are worried about i would trade.

... I have read and seen how beautiful the RF7 II's are. Which leads me into my next question. Would it make more sense to return the bookshelf speakers and use my RF82s as rears, and in the future get some RF 63/83s or RF 7's for the fronts? Of course, I would have to upgrade the center as well. I am happy with what I have now (RF 82 and RC62) but I know I would appreciate a better sound and not feel like I want to upgrade any time soon. Am I going to crazy with this?

Welcome to the forum, e2g.

I responded to your post at AVS Forum and with the added information here can say imo, you would be ecstatic having the RF-7IIs/RC-64 up front and moving your RF-82s to surround duty! [:P] That being said, you would also want to upgrade your power supply (i.e., THX ultra II avr or separate amplification) to get an all tower system to perform at it's best. [Y]

Having the RF 7 fronts would make an amazing soundstage. But mixing and matching shouldn't have any ill effects. I also have the RB-61 IIs and I mixed them with a RC-35 center which I found for a great price and they all blend really well.....the RC-35 is 2 generations old so you definitely shouldn't have any problems. But nothing can compare to a RF-7 II sound system unless you take a huge jump in price IMO

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, it seems the RF7 II's would make a great sound stage and I am really interested in them. I think they will last me a long time compared to just having RF82's as fronts and bookshelf speakers in the back. I think i am willing to start with just a little bit as I was so eager to get a complete 5.1 system. Will be doing some more reading and other opinions are welcome. My gf is not going to be too happy about this.

My gf is not going to be too happy about this.

Lol well tell her to think of it as an investment. Klipsch speakers hold their value so if you ever have to sell them then you can easily put them on ebay. Plus its something you both can enjoy. And at least you're being upfront with her about it. Its not like you're just showing up at the house with stuff......and of course at least she knows where the money is going. Not like you're out spending it on strippers or something, lol.

Thanks. Actually, my interest in the RF 7's started with you. haha. I returned the RB 61 II's, as I will be moving my RF-82's to surround duty once I can get the RF-7 II. I have a price of $2,400 for a pair. Is that a good deal?

Thanks. Actually, my interest in the RF 7's started with you. haha. I returned the RB 61 II's, as I will be moving my RF-82's to surround duty once I can get the RF-7 II. I have a price of $2,400 for a pair. Is that a good deal?

Your very Welcome it makes me very happy to hear that and to give my personal review and thoughts of the beautiful RF7II's makes me even happier to know it inspired you and hopefully others to enjoy what I have been that brought my HT experience to a whole new level with these new Klipsch reference line speakers . Thanks for making my night ! : ) I think 2400 is a great price to ! What finish are you leaning towards ? There both beautiful I wish I could have two of each lol