Speakers set to large or small ?

TheFactor

Thanks and wow you scored on your sub thats a rare deal but your wright there out there if your patient and on the hunt . I've got a question for ya i've been testing out the crossover setting of 50Hz vs 80Hz "Thats the next option down on my avr" and I think im liking 50 vs 80 but its close but im wondering if im working my 7's unnecessarily since it sounds so good both ways if I should just go back to 80 and let my subs handle everything below 80Hz ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I would only be able to offer a "guess". The RF-7's do dip down in impedance during the low frequencies. I think it's somewhere around 2.8 ohms. That's a pretty heavy load for a receiver to carry along with the processing and driving the other speakers as well. Any load you can take off the receiver is probably a good thing.

Thanks for the reply but Im running a XPA-3 seperate amp its rated 200wpc and thats conservative the testing from outside sources actually got more but regardless its handling the load the only thing my AVR has to power is my rear channels I was more concerned with my 7's and over working them unnecessarily since it sounds great both crossover settings 50Hz and 80Hz it really is hard to choose at this point it sounds maybe a little better at 50 but Im thinking its just a matter of preference but will have to do some more testing and watch a few more movies and then it might all change when I get my center wright now im not running one so my 7's are handling both duties but surprisingly it still sounds really good.

Thanks for the reply but Im running a XPA-3 seperate amp its rated 200wpc and thats conservative the testing from outside sources actually got more but regardless its handling the load the only thing my AVR has to power is my rear channels I was more concerned with my 7's and over working them unnecessarily since it sounds great both crossover settings 50Hz and 80Hz it really is hard to choose at this point it sounds maybe a little better at 50 but Im thinking its just a matter of preference but will have to do some more testing and watch a few more movies and then it might all change when I get my center wright now im not running one so my 7's are handling both duties but surprisingly it still sounds really good.

I would experiment but if you are running separate amplification I would try 50 Hz, especially if you don't have a capable sub...If you have the lower end covered 80 Hz would probably be better, but ymmv. {Edit: I just saw what you had as subs and I would think 50 Hz would suffice and make your system blend pretty well...That being said, I don't know anything about the Pio EQ program and if it found your RF-7s to be 80 Hz "in room" that would be something to consider.}

I would experiment but if you are running separate amplification I would try 50 Hz, especially if you don't have a capable sub...If you have the lower end covered 80 Hz would probably be better, but ymmv. {Edit: I just saw what you had as subs and I would think 50 Hz would suffice and make your system blend pretty well...That being said, I don't know anything about the Pio EQ program and if it found your RF-7s to be 80 Hz "in room" that would be something to consider.}

Im sure I probably miss read what you were trying to say or your not familiar with the SVS pb13 and pb12 plus but if I read it correctly you said to try 50hz if my sub"s" weren't capable and then you read my sig and suggested 50hz . BTW No offence taken but I assure you my SVS PB13 Ultra and PB12Plus are more then capable : ) They will rattle windows and anything else not nailed down all the way down to sub sonic bass you feel before you can hear .Mid and Low end bass is for sure covered. Im thinking I can get away with 80hz no problem . Thanks for input and again no offence taken : ) I just wanted to clarify . Side note my Pio AVR normaly sets my crossover at 80Hz .

Im sure I probably miss read what you were trying to say....

Yes you did.When I was writing I didn't see what subs you were running and remember some of the dialog in this thread being about cheaper subs...After I saw your signature I edited my response.

... Im thinking I can get away with 80hz no problem . Thanks for input and again no offence taken : ) I just wanted to clarify . Side note my Pio AVR normaly sets my crossover at 80Hz .

...Of course I am familiar with your subs and I am thinkin' running separate amplification your RF-7IIs can handle down to 50 Hz!!! [H]

Im sure I probably miss read what you were trying to say....

Yes you did.When I was writing I didn't see what subs you were running and remember some of the dialog in this thread being about cheaper subs...After I saw your signature I edited my response.

LOL My take was I thought you were saying if my subs werent capable to run and try the 50 hz tune and then you said EDIT I just saw what subs I had and 50Hz should work well. So I thought you were implying they werent capable and thats why I shouldnt run 80Hz . Ughh its been a long day [:D]

... Im thinking I can get away with 80hz no problem . Thanks for input and again no offence taken : ) I just wanted to clarify . Side note my Pio AVR normaly sets my crossover at 80Hz .

...Of course I am familiar with your subs and I am thinkin' running separate amplification your RF-7IIs can handle down to 50 Hz!!! Cool

Sorry I double tapped my post lol

...Of course I am familiar with your subs and I am thinkin' running separate amplification your RF-7IIs can handle down to 50 Hz!!! Cool

So your thinking let my speakers take the load down to 50 HZ and let my subs handle below 50Hz . I've been trying both ways and it almost sounds better crossed at 80 its close I think I need to get my center speaker and do some more testing .

So your thinking let my speakers take the load down to 50 HZ and let my subs handle below 50Hz . I've been trying both ways and it almost sounds better crossed at 80 its close I think I need to get my center speaker and do some more testing .

I agree! If the 62s can handle 60hz then I know thos 7s can handle 50hz. Does your receiver allow you to set each channel idividually? Because I would do your fronts at 50hz and your surrounds at 80hz. And when you get your center experiement with the crossover on that channel. Thats how I got the best sound. Everything set at 80hz except the Front Left and Front Right speakers. Imma have to pick up that Blu Ray you mentioned btw.

No surprisingly my Pio Eite AVR does not and I think thats why I get the best results running 80 across the board . Although im still toying between 80 and 60 they both sound really good . My subs are very accurate and musical so they do well when everything is crossed at 80 . But again I'll see when I get the RS64 how it pans out . I still cant beleive how good everything sounds without a center . But ya man pick up that BD its clean and mean I think you'll really enjoy the quality and it will let your Klipsch speakers shine !!