Tube power and what to expect !

davis419b

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guess would be you will gain a bunch of slam at higher listening levels but lose warmth, delicacy and detail at normal listening levels. My bet the EL34L is a better match. Super High powered tube amps tend to have a big increase in distortion at lower output that most of us with efficient speakers end up listening to them at most of the time (unless we decide to blow the walls down). Tube amps in this power range using multiple output tubes for more power are usually great mates for very inefficient speakers.

Keep in mind this is just me taking an educated guess.... you may love it!

I am currently using Tsakiridis Devices 35 watt E34L based monoblocks amps and love the sound. I am considering buying the much larger 140 watt EL34 based monoblocks and hoping that someone can tell me what to expect from more power.

More heat..........good in winter.

I am currently using Tsakiridis Devices 35 watt E34L based monoblocks amps and love the sound. I am considering buying the much larger 140 watt EL34 based monoblocks and hoping that someone can tell me what to expect from more power.

Doubling power twice should give you +6db more headroom before your amp runs out of steam. That's enough of a difference to notice, especially if you presently are pushing the limits of your amp. Most tube amp designers have their own preferred recipe of the various compromises involved in amp circuit design, and their sonic preferences typically hold throughout their respective lines, but I've not heard any of that particular brand so can't say for sure.

I must say, I envy your amplifier budget. I'm stuck w/ budget priced used Heritage and cheap DIY SET kits (which admittedly still sounds pretty freakin amazing).

Well since you seem to have money to burn Wink Why don't you try them all and let us know...

then let me build you a pair of real nice amps and you can sell all the others LOL!!

I already have one of your VRD stereo 45 and a BBX with LOMC. I am not sure whether I have fallen for the E 34 L tubes or the amps. Before I bought the 45 we talked and you suggested I buy the 60 watt monoblocks. I should have listened, it may just be the 6550 tubes that I dont like. I am only 4 months into tubes and learning. I dont have money to burn or time as I am 59 and began this hobby less than 3 years ago. I wish to find the holy grail now and hopfully enjoy it for the next 15 years !

Well the VRD stereo amp can use EL34's no problem at all and may give you a way to compare KT88's to EL34's in the same amp. Heck I think the amp your using can use both also! Hard to tell the website is in some other language. What kind of $ do they get for these amps and where are you sourcing them from?

Hey Craig,

I would like to try a quad of E 34 L tubes in your amp, what should I bias them at ? I definately like your amp I just think I dont like 6550 tubes. I guess this is why there is a thing called tube rolling.

What 6550s have you tried? I know when I went from modern EH KT88s to vintage Tung-sols, RCAs and GEs (6550A), the sound improved fairly dramatically. Right now I'm using winged-c tubes, and they're pretty decent (no complaints).

With EL34's .50 VDC will be a good place to start with the Stereo amp. Basically the range would be .45 to .63 VDC the lower you go the softer the presentation will be (to a small degree) the higher the tighter (again to a small degree) each brand tube regardless of type has its sweet spot so you have to play with it for best results. If playing around at or near the maximum bias setting always do a visual check with the lights off in your listening room for red plating of the large gray or black plate structures inside the tube. Quality of modern EL34's vary in respect to plate thickness by a large margin. If they were all built to the true Spec they would all take .63 in the amp without a problem but most of these modern tube manufacturers don't pay much attention to those trivial details [;)].

Most of the above information is in the manual for the stereo amp.

Another way we could attack this is for you to describe what it is about those mono sound wise you hear as improved over what you hear with the VRD Stereo amp?

I do take it you're just using the mono amps in place of the VRD stereo with no other changes to the system you're using the mono's on correct? I mean the preamp, speakers, cables and sources are all the same?

Hey Craig,

I would like to try a quad of E 34 L tubes in your amp, what should I bias them at ? I definately like your amp I just think I dont like 6550 tubes. I guess this is why there is a thing called tube rolling.

What 6550s have you tried? I know when I went from modern EH KT88s to vintage Tung-sols, RCAs and GEs (6550A), the sound improved fairly dramatically. Right now I'm using winged-c tubes, and they're pretty decent (no complaints).

I am using the Tung-Sol 6550 tubes that came with the VRD 45 amp. All of the other amps that I have use EL 34,s except my Fisher 400 which has EH 7868,s. I have not done any tube rolling at this point.