Old KG 2.5s, KV-3 good enough for 5.1 setup?

RobertK

Hi,

I have a 16 year-old pair of KG 2.5s and a KV-3 center speaker from the same generation that have not seen much use in recent years. Would they be good enough for the fronts and center of a 5.1 system? I know some towers for the fronts would be preferable but I am trying to use what I have, for now at least. The surrounds would have to go in the ceiling, I'm thinking of getting a pair of CDT 3650s or 3800s for those. I will also need to get a subwoofer. They would all probably be driven by a Denon AVR with 130-140 watts/channel.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Hi,

I have a 16 year-old pair of KG 2.5s and a KV-3 center speaker from the same generation that have not seen much use in recent years. Would they be good enough for the fronts and center of a 5.1 system?

Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, those would work just fine for mains and a matching center.

If you want to upgrade down the line; you could get KG 5.5s (Top of the line towers) and move the 2.5s to surround duty or another system.

The KV 3 will keep up perfectly with the 2.5s and still do pretty nicely with whatever else you upgrade to down the road.

I had KG 5.2s and a KV3; I had Kg 2.5s and still own KG 3s as well. I have used them in every combination you could think of.......

I am not a big fan of in ceiling speakers...... But; to each his own!

Good Luck!

All the speakers you have now will make a fantastic 5.x set up. I helped a friend buy a set up (incl. some of my old gear) just like yours, although the KG 2.2 series, and it is quite capable of filling a normal sized room. A decent subwoofer will complete the low end. When you have a sub, set all the 2.5s & 1.2s to "small" in your receiver set up. Get those 1.2s up closer to ear level somehow, even if they are "rear/sides" rather than behind your sofa. Despite their age, those are very good speakers, and may be all you need for a long time.

Yep, I built a 5.1 system for my dad just like this 2.5, KV3, and KG.5 with a powerd SW12 sub. It rocks the place, and he loves it big time!! It also helps that it was about 1/4th the price of his Reference series Klipsch / SVS HT in the larger lower level room that he doesn't even bother with much anymore.

Yes they will work just fine, although I found that a KG2.2V (or2.5V if you find one) sounds better with the 2.2's than the KV-3, although the 3 looks a lot better.

I am selling off my bedroom system to make space and finance a NAS filer for movies, but have listened to a similar system for many years.

Thanks for the reply and feedback. I also have a pair of KG 1.2s that I could use as rears, but they'd have to go on the floor against the wall to either side of the couch, below listening level. You think that would sound better than in the ceiling?

I honestly can say I do not know for sure.

If you tilt them up like I do my Heresies; it might work well.

The beauty is it costs little money to try it; before the hassle of "in ceiling" speakers.

Good luck; let us know how it works out.....

Thanks for the reply and feedback. I also have a pair of KG 1.2s that I could use as rears, but they'd have to go on the floor against the wall to either side of the couch, below listening level. You think that would sound better than in the ceiling?

Wife has vetoed the 1.2s on the floor. She doesn't want to look at them (that is why my Forte IIs have been in the closet for the last 10 years [:(]). The rear speakers will need to go in the ceiling. I think she will go along with the sub, reluctantly.

Wife has vetoed the 1.2s on the floor. She doesn't want to look at them (that is why my Forte IIs have been in the closet for the last 10 years Sad). The rear speakers will need to go in the ceiling. I think she will go along with the sub, reluctantly.

All I can say is YEOUCH.

I would say use the Fortes for mains instead of the 2.5s.....

Beware; some will flame you.... "Be a man and keep the speakers; get a new wife"....yadda yadda.

I know relationships are about compromise...... Here is hoping you can get it worked out well enough...... [Y]

Good Luck.

Flame on, I'm keeping the wife. All 5 speakers have to be concealed. We built a nice new entertainment center that will hold the fronts and centers behind grilles on the cabinet doors. The rears will have to go in the ceiling. The compromise is that I will get to have a subwoofer somewhere in the room, which believe me is huge. [:)]

Flame on, I'm keeping the wife. All 5 speakers have to be concealed. We built a nice new entertainment center that will hold the fronts and centers behind grilles on the cabinet doors. The rears will have to go in the ceiling. The compromise is that I will get to have a subwoofer somewhere in the room, which believe me is huge. Smile

Yeah, I had picked up some KG 5.2s about 7 months ago. The premise was I would keep the Heresies or the KGs; whichever sounded better.

I probably could have talked her into keeping both; but that was not what we originally agreed to..... I got flamed a bit....

"Keep 'em both;" and got to hear how others would not let their wives tell them what to do; yadda yadda....

The truth is; I have a great system, and a great woman. Compromise is part of a relationship.

Those who do not let their wives "boss" them (AKA compromising with them) are likely unhappy in their relationships.....

I am quite happy in mine; AND with my setup.....

When you get your enclosure trimmed out with speakers; and your ceiling speakers and sub; post a pic.

We like pics! [;)]

Good Luck!