Upgrade to RF7 II, need also a new Ampli?

Piez

First... Sorry for my english!

I'm running the following system:

- pioneer sc-lx82

- RF 63 (front, bi amped)

- RC 64

- RF 62 (surround)

I'm thinking to upgrade the RF63 with the new RF7 II.

I'm very happy with my current config but, as u know, there's always something better in our mind...

So this is the question:

Is my pioneer enough to drive the RF7? (bi amped, obviously)

I'm using the system for HT 50% and music 50%

Thanks in advance!

Piez

Piez, Welcome to The Forum.

Where exactly are you located. (In the US or another Country?).

I ask because different brands are easier/harder to get based on where you live.

I have heard great things about the Emotiva amps and pres; and they are based on the net.... (=easily shipped to another Country).

Good Luck.....

PS; I also recommend trying what you have first..... You might be surprised.

The grass is not always greener........

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

Is my pioneer enough to drive the RF7?

Just about any receiver will drive the RF-7 II (or any other Klipsch speaker) due to their high sensitivity. It doesn't take much power to drive them. With that said, the RF-7's are known to have impedance dips close to 2 ohms. This provided a high demand on a receiver and will cause a receiver to clip because it is running out of juice.

A dedicated amp does provide many benefits: cleaner separation of instruments, lots of headroom to help eliminate clipping, extra bass, better clarity at lower volumes, relieves the receiver of the responsibility of providing power to the speakers so it can more efficiently process the information...etc.

So to answer your question, do you "need" an amp? No. Would you benefit from an amp, absolutely. The decision is yours.

Thx for all the answers !

@IronSave

I'm located in Italy, near Milan...

I read on some forums about the Emotiva amps...

It seems a good choice...

I'll make some tests with my sc-lx82 and after i'll let u know...

another question (if isn't too much... ) in case do u suggest a dedicated amp for all the 5 ch or only for the 2 front (future) RF7-II?

thanks once more

(and another time sorry for my english)

Pf

You are welcome; that's what we are here for......

In regards to your last question...... I think it depends on your budget.

I do not think it is necessary to have a dedicated amp for each of the 5 channels; but if money is not important....

Then why not?

On another note; I have been to Bologna Italy once in my life..... It was so beautiful.

(Went to Venezia for a day; just stunning......)[H]

• Moderators

If you aren't going to go with a 5 channel amp, I suggest a 3 channel instead of a 2 channel amp. That way, your front soundstage is receiving the same clean, solid power. Your center channel is one of the most important speakers for HT so it definitely is beneficial to drive it with an amp. The surrounds can easily be driven by your receiver.

Welcome to the forums.

Is my pioneer enough to drive the RF7?

Just about any receiver will drive the RF-7 II (or any other Klipsch speaker) due to their high sensitivity. .... With that said, the RF-7's are known to have impedance dips close to 2 ohms. This provided a high demand on a receiver and will cause a receiver to clip because it is running out of juice...

I agree with your latter statement, but because of that I wouldn't drive RF-7s with a lower end AVR.

First... Sorry for my english! I'm running the following system: - pioneer sc-lx82 - RF 63 (front, bi amped) - RC 64 - RF 62 (surround) I'm thinking to upgrade the RF63 with the new RF7 II. I'm very happy with my current config but, as u know, there's always something better in our mind... So this is the question: Is my pioneer enough to drive the RF7? (bi amped, obviously) I'm using the system for HT 50% and music 50% Thanks in advance! Piez

Welcome to the Forum Piez.

Fwiw, I don't think bi-amping with an AVR is going to be of much benefit and it appears that your AVR is THX Ultra II rated and should handle the impedance dips of the RF-7II in a medium size room.

Thx for the post.

This is the second time somebody tell me that bi-amping the speakers with my lx82 doesn't give a benefit... may u explain me why?

I was thinking that if 1 ch give 100 W then 2 Ch perhaps doesn't give 200W but almost 180....

Thanks once more

Pf

• Moderators

This is the second time somebody tell me that bi-amping the speakers with my lx82 doesn't give a benefit

Here is your third. [;)]

The logic is that by providing 100 watts to the speaker and 100 to the driver (as opposed to 100 watts to both speakers) would produce better separation, clarity etc.

In my test with my speakers and my receiver, I heard absolutely Zero difference in sound. Could this be that I don't have "audiophile" hearing and can hear the minute differences it would make....very possible. So for me, it didn't make any difference.

Many would suggest that in order to really benefit, you would have to bypass the internal crossovers inside the speakers and use an active crossover external from the speakers to hear the benefit of bi-amping.

My receiver uses the zone 2 channel for bi-amping so my theory why it doesn't benefit is because by activating an additional two channels on the receiver, it will lower the wattage per speaker, even though my Yamaha "claims" it is 140 x 7 (actual bench tests show otherwise).