Is there an honest person left?

USNRET

From what I've read, you have a net gain on the rental.

To recover damages in a lawsuit you must prove that you've suffered a loss - yeah, your tenants moved out early - so what - you can recover the cost of re-renting for the balance of the lease - but anything you recover by re-renting will be deducted from what the defaulting tenants owe you on the lease - only fair, you don't get to rent the property twice.

But they also improved your property - making it more valuable - I don't see that you've given any consideration that they may be entitled to compensation for the improvements they've made to your property?

Re-rent - or better yet sell your property (judging by your post, you're not cut out to be a landlord) and get on with your life.

James

By the way, it's "are there"

I like Is not Are.

All good arguments. According to the GA lawyer, any improvement made is forfeited, all rights to re-rent house is retained, etc because of breach of contract. I certainly didn't sleep in a Holiday Day Inn Express last night.

The other question is what does the property really look like now, property management has not seen it lately and has an appointment with a locksmith to gain entry today. We shall see if the 'improvements' remain and the overall condition.

I like Is not Are.

The other question is what does the property really look like now, property management has not seen it lately and has an appointment with a locksmith to gain entry today. We shall see if the 'improvements' remain and the overall condition.

No offense, but your statement above kinda doesn't jive with this statement made in your original post: "All has been well since Oct '09. They have put a lot on money into the place. With my permission they built a 10" privacy fence from the house to the lake (about 150' long), added an additional drive to a new shop that they had built. Nice small shop that matched the house with matching Hardiplank, paint, shingles, etc."

So do you know what's been done or not? And why on earth would a new shop or drive or fence not remain?

Tom

No offense, but your statement above kinda doesn't jive with this statement made in your original post: "All has been well since Oct '09. They have put a lot on money into the place. With my permission they built a 10" privacy fence from the house to the lake (about 150' long), added an additional drive to a new shop that they had built. Nice small shop that matched the house with matching Hardiplank, paint, shingles, etc."

So do you know what's been done or not? And why on earth would a new shop or drive or fence not remain?

Tom, I visited the house back in Sept or Oct of this year. The additions had been made. The fence, built several months ago was with my permission, the shop was not. Tenant, who had a option to buy the day after lease expires (not a lease/purchase), had stated he was going to build a shop after he bought.

After I was there I called and spoke with him (didn't see him on my visit) and told him I wasn't too pleased with the shop as it was built over my septic lateral lines. He told me the shop was built on runners / skids and could be moved if necessary. This is why I wondered if the shop was still there based on his could be moved story. No reason to not believe him as I have seen whole houses moved. Why not a shop, it wasn't that big.

The fence? Who knows if he built it and then decided he wanted the lumber back or just being cantankerous it COULD have been taken down.

As of today the fence, shop and new brick entryway was there according to a friend's drive by. By looks, they might not have completely moved out. My latest info and advice from there is to wait until the first when the rent is due and the proceed.

I'm just doing what I'm told to do as I have known the agent that manages the place for about 12 years. She is relying what the broker legal advisor tells her.

It is what it is, I am not losing sleep over it. Just wish the guy would contact me and give the the straight skinny on his plans. Based on email, he will be gone by 3 Jan.