Really torn over klipschorn surrounds.

chambers1517

Here is my dilema. Been working on my theater. It is 14x25. I have a projector and a 12' wide scope screen. I have 3 Lascalas and 2 Klipschorns. Due to the narrow long room and the wide screen I didn't think the Khorns would work in front. I built a false wall and recessed the Lascalas into it underneath the screen. I think the Khorns would be great surrounds buy man do I hate to waste them in that position. I also thought since my room is long I could use 2 pair of Heresy's in a 7.1 set up and talk my wife into putting the Khorns in the living room for music. Another option is to find another set of Lascalas and put them in the rear corners of the room. What do you guys think is the best option?

If you determine the Khorns a waste as surrounds, then the LS would be too. I would prefer 7 channels with four Heresy as surrounds than 5 channel with Khorns as rears. More enveloping. My system is pretty close to that, and if I'm lacking anything in the rear, then ignorance is bliss. :)

I'd consider the Khorns in the rear. Remember...they'll take up less room space than LaScallas will. Prior to Heresy's, you should make a trip to Indianapolis to Rogers house and hear his 7-ch all LaScala setup.

Something to be said for being surrounded by monster speakers.

[Y]

Sounds like you guys lean towards the Heresy's for surrounds. The only concerns I have is the ability of the Heresy's to keep up. If the Lascalas are turned way down, is there an advantage of front Lascalas over 7 Heresy's? I like the idea of a 7.1 system but I know the Khorns will keep up with the Lascalas and am not sure about the Heresy's. You guys who have rear Heresy's with Lascalas how do they do?

It's the front three that matter. The surrounds don't get a huge amount of material and never play nearly as loudly as the front three.

I used to have a Heresy II as center and it made a huge difference going to a La Scala. You can't compare an all-Heresy system to one with the big boys in front.

I put my Heresy in full range two channel mode and compared directly to the LaScala the same way. It is a night and day difference! However, to answer your direct question, the Heresy (in the surround position) can run well with the LaScala or Khorn. In my system, I hold back the Heresy quite a bit in fact. I feel no need to upgrade the Heresy.