Dean G mod on RF-7 II

kriller7000dk

• Klipsch Employees

Sure we break in the mids and tw...when we have new one to test. By the time we start listening to them the drivers are up to speed. Yes, we do play the speakers for some time before sending them out for review.

AK-4 UK...no they are not broke in before shipping.

Evey speaker is matched...to the standard. (With in 2db +/-)

We test the parts as they are in the speaker at the end of the line. Only the vendor of the part test it before it comes to us.

Noting to confirm that they are sound the same other than the end of line test.

Dean, just run on over here and I will get you in to hear them.

Jay, too much power, for the most part, is not an issue. Too little power is much worse.

Trey,

For years I bi-amplified a stereo pair of large, two-way, Altec-Lansing loudspeakers. However, I used a stereo pre-amp and external cross overs between the pre-amp and two stereo power amplifiers. I could trace the signal path and understand why this worked.

I would love to read your description of why bi-wiring works (if it does). Let's use an RF-7 II loudspeaker as an example, since I'm purchasing a pair of them, driven by a typical stereo power amp (mine is a Marantz 250M).

To my simple mind, running a two-conductor speaker wire carrying a full range signal from (for example) the right channel (plus and minus outputs) of the stereo power amp to the right RF-7 II's plus and minus cross-over input terminals (shorted with a jumper to a duplicate set of cross-over terminals) is electrically identical to routing the same full range signal from the amp's plus and minus outputs to both sets of the RF-7 II cross-over's duplicated plus and minus terminals using a "V" or "Y" speaker wire harness (without the jumper in place). Either way, it seems to me, the two "positive" input terminals on the cross-over see the same signal, as do the two "negative" input terminals. Where did I go wrong in this analysis?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

To my simple mind, running a two-conductor speaker wire carrying a full range signal from (for example) the right channel (plus and minus outputs) of the stereo power amp to the right RF-7 II's plus and minus cross-over input terminals (shorted with a jumper to a duplicate set of cross-over terminals) is electrically identical to routing the same full range signal from the amp's plus and minus outputs to both sets of the RF-7 II cross-over's duplicated plus and minus terminals using a "V" or "Y" speaker wire harness (without the jumper in place). Either way, it seems to me, the two "positive" input terminals on the cross-over see the same signal, as do the two "negative" input terminals. Where did I go wrong in this analysis?

Unless the sum of the two wires without jumpers are exactly the same electrically as the single wire with jumpers, the two configurations may sound slightly different. The sound also will change if you are using too long of a run for the gauge of wire you have. Typically a good thing.

One of the uses for bi-wiring is to use the wire to slightly (maybe not intentionally) modify the sound of either the high frequency or low frequency sections of the speaker specifically having altered electrical parameters on the cabling. Bi-wiring can make a change though it typically very small - cut a little HF edge here, tighten up a little there...etc. No one can answer what it will do in your case because the whole electrical chain, amp, speakers, and cables, will have a varying effect.

Even though I bi-wire through a pair of MITerminator2 cables (single runs of Kimber Kable 8TC are on my bucket list), it comes to mind that for every additional physical connection, isn't there a .3db gain loss of signal? I know it's small and can't be heard by most people but it's still there, isn't it?

Why would you loose .3db loss when you increasing the amount of cabling that can transfer the signal? You might be talking series connections but...

Wouldn't that also imply that if you used a larger cable, that would also see the .3db loss?