How to choose a center speaker

JFK

What types of things do I need to look for in determining which center speaker to go with? Does it have to be a Klipsch (based on the setup below) for the best consistency?

I'm planning on a pair of SF-2's with the KSW-15 sub, along with SCR2's in the ceiling (rear).

Thank you much!

JFK,

The center channel speaker is the anchor of your front array, it does the majority of work in a Home Theater System. You want a center that lets sounds pan seemlessly from right to left and left to right. It should have the same timbre and produce tones that closely match the fronts. If your fronts are Klipsch your center should be also, which provides a much more pleasurable listening experience, imho. Klipsch identifies the SC-1 as the matching center for the Synergy Series.

Welcome & Enjoy your Klipsch.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-10-2002 at 04:43 AM

I concur with ShapeShifter.

While I was waiting for my center speaker to show up, I hooked up a cheapo Sony crap speaker and it pretty much made watching movies worse than just listening in stereo. Once the KSC showed up... much better.

And when my sub finally got hooked up, I just threw in Gladiator, sat on the couch and couldn't stop smiling.

Now my HT is the envy of my friends (im just one year out of college) but it's not helping me pull the women. Who knew?

------------------

Denon 1601

Sony VCR, DVD, CD Changer (all from Best Buy... that means its the 'Best')

Philips CD Burner

Panasonic 32" TV

KSB 3.1

KSC-C1

KSF-S5

KSW-12

Thanks for the responses, guys. Not to sound to new at this (although I am), how do I match timbre and tones between speakers? Is that with my ears only, or are there specifications that would allow me to determine that?

I do plan on getting a Klipsch center speaker. And since the center speaker is so important, I was questioning whether or not a more expensive Klipsch (non-Synergy series) may work better.

Thanks again for the feedback.

JFK,

Center is very important for HT.

I would go under products and go with what Klipsch recommends for your speaker choice.

SF2 speakers uses SC1 center.

I have gotten a system and upgraded. I used my old center with my new fronts and it sounded alright, but made a big difference when I got the matching center.

Danny

JFK:

Welcome to The Klipsch Forum! You're getting some good advice here. Actually, "timbre matching" in this sense means getting a speaker that uses, at least, the same high frequency driver as the other. Best scenario here is the exact same speaker for the center channel as you have for the fronts (then all drivers would match). Of course, that is impossible for most of us because a)it is hard to buy one speaker of a set that is usually only sold in pairs and B) since most of us put a center speaker on top of or below our TV's, there is not enough room to fit a speaker exactly the same size as your left and right channel ones there (unless you're industrious like our beloved HornEd, but that's a separate story).

The easiest way, therefore, to "timbre match" the fronts with a center channel is to get a center channel designated specifically by the manufacturer of your fronts as a matching one. In your case, our SC-1 is the best match for you. The mid and high frequencies sound just like your SF-2's (and your "timbre matched" SCR-2's in the rear). All those sounds being equal makes the most realistic sound experience. If you were to "move up" to our RC-3II for a center channel, for example, that speaker will sound different than the rest, making the experience less realistic (you notice the speakers are there when sounds come from the unmatched center).

PhilH

Timbre match is best achieved by using identical speakers. Or by using speakers built with the same components, at least the same tweeters and squawker. Or by using a center channel designed by the manufacturer to be timbre matched to your mains. Or at least by using speakers from the same manufacturer and line.

Others have already pointed out the center channel speaker Klipsch recommends to go with your mains. Another possibility would be to use another SF-2 if you don't need the center channel form factor and video shielding.

JFK your right about the quality of the Forum and the members and minions that make it a favorite Internet activity.

You've gotten great advice... but since PhilH mentioned my extreme approach to timbre matching... it seems appropriate that you get a brief look at the "separate story."

Your right, of course, about the importance of the center channel in more ways than one. The center channel carries over 75% of the TOTAL sound on a typical DVD movie (and a far lower percentage on multi-channel music)... actually, most experts I have read speculate the number is over 80%!

The center channel is the key speaker to anchor dialogue and explosive mid-screen events. For an example of how your rig would sound with a perfectly timbre matched center... switch your preamp to its "phantom channel" setting (sometimes called No Center and see how the Left & Right Mains rise to the occasion! Of course, a well-matched center broadens the sweet spot.

Paul W. Klipsch was a pioneer of "three-channel stereo" for which he uses a pair of Klipschorns and a Klipsch Belle for about as good a timbre match as can be had. (I have duplicated that for my music room)

Should you get in to SACD, or the like, you will find that the preferred grouping is five (or more) identical speakers. Most DVD's slated for home use are mixed for five identical speakers. And, so, for my home theater I chose six KLF-30's (of which one is custom modified as a center channel), a pair of KLF-C7 (designated Center for the KLF-30) that are used as Front Effects speakers instead.

Of course, timbre matching was a high concern... but the power to meet center channel demands created by the trends in movie and multi-channel mixing was the highest priority.

Of course, not all rooms and budgets are amenable to having identical speakers in the primary 5 or 6 slots. Klipsch has come to the rescue with a fine selection of tapered array centers and WDST surrounds that fill in quite nicely. Enjoy the Klipsch upgrade trail... and the Forum that helps make it prudent! -HornED

PS: You will get a lot of insight into the World of Klipsch and PWK's center theories by reading the just published Paul W. Klipsch, The Life... The Legend by Maureen Barrett and Michael Klementovich. It's a great read with photos to match! Thanks again Tony and Trey!

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd