Khorn-spray on truckbed liner

The Dude

Anyone ever herd of this not just with Khorns but with any speakers, I am talking of spraying the inside. Reason for a pair of Khorn knock offs with the 1/2" thick ply wood. A fellow in a local shop keeps talking about doing it to thicken the walls and make boxes more durable. I don't know how you could even get in and spray the insides. Just seeing if any one has ever herd of this and if it actually works. Or it sounds really silly and don't even think about trying.

Nick

I thought originals were built with 1/2" ply?

If it is cheap plywood all you can really do is brace it as the areas of the boards are rather large. You might want to listen to them first and see if they sound that bad or not since you could change the characteristics of the horn with the spray. Also you might want to use undercoat vs bedliner. That will drop the resonance of the vibrating boards.

I don't think you would want to spray the insides, it would decrease the volume of the horn, and if you didn't like the change, then what? If the bass bins are vibrating, perhaps adding more bracing at the opening of the horns would help. It is really hard to redo a perhaps less than stellar build.

nah...that won't mak the cabs stiffer. you want to make 1/2 cabs stiffer......only two ways.....glue another 1/2 of ply over the sides and front....or soak the cabs in acrylic resin diluted about 15%....the same stuff you use on hardwood floors. You can spray the resin using a insecticide hand pump. once you finish pumping the stuff in, your hand pump will be shot. the seals being all gummed up.

Hi Nick,

That’s a good question, and one I have been curious about myself.

I used both Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating and Professional Undercoat and Sound Eliminator on my Belles. I sprayed the Truck Bed Coating on the mid-horn, inside and out, and the Undercoat inside the bass bin. Did it make a difference? Not sure. I’d like to think that it did, but if I’m being honest, I could not hear any difference; however, I am happy with the results, as the finish—especially on the mid-horn—looks very good!

If it's any consolation, many speaker manufacturers use a bituminous coating inside their cabinets to thwart any unwanted resonances. One of the more notable companies to do so is Harbeth.

Marty