802 B&Ws compared ....

quadklipsh

guys,

today i crossed a milestone , on my quest for the best

sound system owned here in my city............

the speakers were B&Ws 802s

and amp was mark levinson 300 watts 8 ohm perchannel ...

cd player being an 80s ,philips 700

the room was 20 x10 ft and 8 ft high...

the music played was from rock to jazz.

the BWs played very nice and un imposingly .

the overall experience was good , especially when he

played some of his own cds with jazz and instrumentals

with better bass depth and extension.i cud feel the subwoofer sound . but very refined as coming from those exotic 802s.

i came home , and was saying to myself ,AM I REALLY IMPRESSED ???

the answer was ...

NO

A long time ago one of the magazines compared the Natilus 802 and either Paradigm Studio 100's or KLF-20's in a shootout with several other speakers. The 802's didn't fair too well to the other speakers especially for the price. The newer diamond versions may do better but this may answer some questions on if you should be coparing 802's, especially older ones to many other more inexpensive speakers.

The 802s are a pretty good loudspeaker but it just goes to prove that the system synergy has to work or the whole system fails. I don't know what is wrong with the guys set-up but one listen would tell me what's wrong. Was he set up on the short wall? Something is wrong, it should have been fairly decent?

russ....

yes the system was set on the short wall,i was sitting at abt 18 feet from the speakers . there was enough oomph and visceral feeling.but my expert cousin and i both agreed that the sound was better than many we have heard but not at all for wot it was paid for .i mean iv heart Art Audios MAESTROs,100 watts mono blocks with pioneer SLH 5 , and the show had been a stellar.

even though we were sitting in a smaller room back then but the imaging and naturalness of sound coming from art audio pioneer was much more hi end than this 15000 dollar rig .

maybe it was the acoustics of his room that should be further taken care of .b&ws looked hi end though .i was impressed by their build quality ......

hmmmm
detail n clarity?
a virtue of the KLFs????
I'm surprised dude.....

You apparently have not spent any time with KLF-20s or KLF-30s, especially with some very minor tweeks.

The two 12" woofers from the KLF-30s are used in the Jubilee along with the K-79 tweeter being in Forte and many other Klipsch speakers. The midrange is a slight variation of the mids also used in most other non-400hz crossover Klipsch speakers.

The detail and clarity of the 802s come by making sure the high frequency response is up compared to the midrange. Speakers that do that typically sound more clear but at the cost of possible fatigue. I am one that thinks that about speakers when HF is boosted 3db or so. To some it is impressive.

pzannucci.............

The detail and clarity of the 802s come by making sure the high frequency response is up compared to the midrange. Speakers that do that typically sound more clear but at the cost of possible fatigue. I am one that thinks that about speakers when HF is boosted 3db or so. To some it is impressive.

Im surprised that your comments described EXACTLY what my experienced cousin actually felt about the 802s sound at that audition night.

He mentioned to me that the HF of the 802s was much higher ,so much so that it cant be a flat responce . though it may be a pleasing sound to you(adressing me ) but to my ears thay are not doing flat . and he wasnt impressed either. we were both underwhelmed !!!

my question is ........

do b&ws image the music well ! i mean listening to all those tracks in his room , we couldnot image the vocalist , or the guitarist or the drummer ,standing in front of us ,playing those instruments .

thats what my RF3s do easily and instantly as i play my gear....

OH BOY I JUST WISH I HAD ............Sad

I would love to hear a pair of legends

Some of the best speakers Klipsch has made.... no BS!

I intend to own them someday; till then I will continue to grow closer to my Heresies..... Dam.... I love these speakers!!!!!!

(LMAO. I am upsetting the neighbors right now......

AUDIO BLISS!!!!!!!!) [Y]

quadklipsh,

I had listened to the 801 Natilus in a dealer in FL that also sold Klipsch. The salesman said when he wanted to rock out, he would forgo the 801s and go listen to the KLF-30s

The 801s sounded a little tubby and you could tell that the speaker got a little hotter as it got higher in frequency. They could image well but there was somewhat of a lack of body/substance due to the rising response in the high mid / low treble area. That type of response is annoying to me though I guess if you have the room treated to death, it may sound good, giving you the presence of a horn. My home builts I had at the time with a Morel MDT-33 tweeter and flanking carbon fiber and paper kevlar cones sounded more real, not like speakers as the 801s sounded. Apparently many people like that sound. [:(]

And yes, I wish they still made KLF-20 / 30s, especially with the new diaphragms from the Cornwall / Heresy III. (at least the Ti tweeter). The KLF-30 would likely kick some rear-end especially since it would have tighter bass and higher output capability than the CWIII.

klf 30s , arent they a very big speaker for the house hold . i mean they surely are a mammoth for 15 by 16 feet room ?....

i wonder if they compete well to a chorus IIs..

i just wish i can find the two somewhere here for an audition and have a neck to neck competition ....

aaaahSad

They'd probably be very good in a room that size. I have a room that is approx 20-22 x20 and open to a large area to the rear. The KHorns work well in it as my large home builts and KLF-30s. Across to the other side of the house is about 40 foot (dine-in kitchen) so you can use all volume you can get.

Chorus II or Cornwall with a 15" woofer isn't that much less of a speaker size wise - just the proportions.

Considering the KLFs have more of a WAF form factor closer to the norm, I wonder why the Cornwall was resurrected. A KLF-30 with the mid and tweeter from the CW III and the tractrix mid horn sounds like the ticket. Klipsch should have done this speaker though it probably would have eaten the RF7 II alive with less profit since it is a three way and would cost more to manufacture.