Ideas or Recommendations for accessories/components

inder19

I am in the midst of completing my home theatre set up and was looking for what else I might need/want to improve my set up and or experience.

I have looked online and have gotten some ideas but don't really know what is worth it and what is not. The quick list I have come up with are

- Power line conditioner
- Accoustic Panels
- Bass Shakers for seats??..
- Upgrading to an Amp
- Universal Remote
- Adding a small monitor or tv to use when don't need the projector on but need on screen menus. This one I am considering doing with a 19" or so screen.

Does anyone use any other accessories that they feel are really useful?

Also I was looking to see if anyone has suggestions for preventing rattling from cabinet doors. I have considered putting weather sealing tape which is sticky on one side and foam on the other as well as replacing the hinges with ones that pull to a tight close. The hinges are very expensive and so I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

power line conditioner - important, but i dont yet have one or any suggestions.

acoustic panels - lots of options and unique to each room, important but not essential. search around..

bass shakers - save your money.

upgrading to amp - i assume you mean an external amp using your pre-amps from the receiver. if you've got the cash, do it.

universal remote - i've got a harmony remote (880) and can't recommend them enough. newer models are supposed to be even better/easier.

small monitor - not understanding your setup enough to answer this one, but it sounds like you've identified a need and possible fix. if you've got the cash, go for it.

the rattling doors could probably be treated with simple rubber pads. or you could even try some of the materials out there for car trunks, etc to quiet down rattling from subs.

I have a projector connected to my receiver and my issue is that many times I just want to run downstairs and start a recording on my PVR. Or we are all downstairs and want to browse my itunes and play music. I don't like the idea of the projector being on for these types of uses so I have been looking for a sub $100 monitor with HDMI connection. I have seen them as low as $109.99 for a 21.5" but was looking for a 19" as it would fit into one of the cabinets perfectly and be visible throught the glass.

I was looking at setting up a Harmony One the remote.

Please describe the door rattling problem in more detail. What kind of latch are we talking about? Photos would help, too. I have a lot of experience with cabinetry.

Right now I am using an old HTIB and when I turn up the volume the doors rattle/vibrate. I was told by the installer that I could replace the hinges with ones that close very tight so even when you go to the open the doors there is so some force required. Apparently they just keep the doors pulled close tighter than regular ones.
Right now there are those rubber stoppers on the doors so there is no wood to wood contact. I am just worried that as soon as I have the full set up going that the rattle will increase.

I don't have photo's of the hinges but I have one of the cabinet if that helps. The receiver is not there and the wires have not been organized.

Cabinets

If you have rubber tabs on the doors, try some velcro tabs on them and the casing, this will hold them shut (If that is what is rattling) If you are creating a reasonance in the glass or cabinet, that may be a tougher item.

I use the Harmony 1100, pretty damn pricey, but once you get it programmed it is probably some of the best money spent. I did away with nine remotes and it works flawlesly from any room with the RF extender

We use a 22 inch Dell monitor, rack mounted, for the very same purpose that you are looking at. This also is a great device for programming with on-screen GUI's. On my sony 5300 I have a seperate HDMI out that I send to this and do not have to use the main screen while I am "Fiddling" with stuff.

Power Conditioner - Waste of money

Acoustic panels will help with difficult acustics in a room along with bass traps, might help your rattle

Bass shakers - Waste (JMO) If you have a good sub, there should be NO need as the sound should be felt internally anyway not through your butt.....

The amp upgrade is a great idea if you receiver's amps are being taxed by your speakers. The majority advertise X watts per channel, well this drastically reduces when you add more then two speakers. A seperate amp will aleviate this issue

Your milage may vary,

W. C.

I have checked the glass and it is all sealed and not even moving a bit. I will take a closer look to see if it could be the doors vibrating against each other where they close but I looked and there was no wear there and there is a noticeable gap.

As for the Harmony 1100, How do you find using that. I was concerned with the size that I would have to use two hands to operate.... I was looking at the Harmony 900 which looks comprable.

I am curious about rack mountiung a monitor. Earlier on I had considered putting a rack in the shelf on a turntable so I would just be able to turn it to make connections. the DIY cost comes in around $200. The picture shows the current shelving, i have left it as is because I don't have the time to complete it yet and don't know whether its worth while. Having the monitor so close to the components would be very convenient, right now I was considering putting it wall mounted beside the couch where I sit.

Good photo! I would suggest a pair of double magnetic touch latches (one at top, one at bottom). They're push-to-release and should work very well for this application. You should be able to find these locally at most hardware stores. I'd also suggest using (duct) tape to temporarily attach the latch (cabinet) and plate (door) to see if it does a satisfactory job before drilling holes to permanently attach the hardware.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=56383&cat=3,41399

28456-01-200.jpg

00s3311s1.jpg

epc-515-bl-pws.jpg

is it the glass rattling within the door?

This is likely... I have a cabinet that shuts tightly but still rattled. Used felt pads (stick on) which are definately quieter than the rubber or cork type. The felt made them quiet down some but still rattled. Shoved a thin line of glazing putty around inside edge of glass and frame of door. Scraped most of it off but it left a thin amount shoved behind the wood trim and the glass. Noise was almost completely gone except at high levels I actually hear more rattles from the windows and cabinets in the next room .

I think you will have to experiment as cabinets are all made differently. You could actually (re)glaze the glass if you see how to remove the glass. I also have some glass front barrister cases that there is no way I will be trying the glazing trick as I don't want to mess up the looks or remove the old trim. Felt pads helped a little but that glass is really loose!

Start with the cheap and easy first! (insert joke here)