Palladium 7.1 power

Skule

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think that those Palladiums, being so efficient would be almost overwhelmed by the power of the Marantz amp. But I could be wrong.Confused

I was suprised at how power hungry mine (P-39's) were when I first added them to my system.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply gents!

Well, basically Boxx is right but I have a few observations to make.

First of all the Palladiums are extremely efficient indeed, so you don't need a tower of power to make them scream. I think I have found a very good setup and I think the bi-amped Marantz matches the P39fs and the P27f perfectly. The dynamics is awesome and it becomes uncomfortable to watch any movie at levels above -12dB - meaning I am not even at reference level and the couch really shakes whenever the Palladium sub gets going. And I can only do this when the wife is not home[:$] If the two of us are watching a movie I am at -20dB at the most (which is close to movie theatre level I think).

With that said, the Palladiums are 4 ohm speakers, but in the lower frequencies, where more power is required, they do creep even lower than 4 ohm - meaning they pull even more corrent from the amps. As such they can handle quite a bit more power than my Maratz can provide, and may even benefit from having more "breathing space". Nic, aka Shake777, made some great remarks to this in another thread in this section when he added five 1000W mono amps to drive his 2*P38f, 1*P27c and 2*P37f setup.

With that said though - I have come to the conclusion that I will never need to add more amp power to my setup - trying to watch a movie or play music at anything much above 0dB is simply too loud and it is uncomfortable to be in the room after a few minutes - but it is still chrystal clear [:D]

A final note - at first when I installed the system I was not fully blown away by the improvement from my previous setup. I mean it was easy to tell it was much better, better separation, crisper sound, wider dynamics etc. In fact, initially it was the sub that impressed me the most. Now, during the Christmas and New Years holidays I was able to visit a few friends with systems which are very much like my old setup - when I then got home and had a movie night it really hit me how fantastic the Palladium system really sounds. There is really no comparison to my old system or any othe other ones I have heard out there - and man do I enjoy it!!!

• 3 months later...

Skule, As you know I finally went 7.1 with an important factor being your praises of the of the extra speakers with the advent of more blu-rays to make such a system show its stuff. Thanks again for posting and explaining your reasoning. I'm very pleased with the results as my theater has taken another step towards realism. Shake

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Shake - I am really glad you enjoy it as much as I do. Just watched "Real Steel" the other night, 7.1 sound on the Bluray really made you feel like you were in the stadium during the fight scenes.

Are you getting closer to be able to share any more pictures of your awesome system?[;)]

Hi Skule and All, I had to find a temporary set up because I was sick of bending over to make wiring adjustments and such so I bought an inexpensive rack system so I could see if that configuration makes me happy and I love it especially with plenty of walking room behind the "stage" and amps. I'm having a group of guys over from the local club to give me some pointers on insultaion and overall set up because just three or four of theses guys have ten times the experience than I do. It won't be until at least Christams Holiday Season before I can get started on the final end of the finishing. It I can come up with a decent picture or two before then I will post them. Its just that they all look like a bomb hit the basement even after I pick up the clutter. One change I made is that one side wall is 2/3 absent. I put up some heavy duty blackout drapes colored crimson or burgandy. I'm happy with those for the time being as they give the impriession of four walls and keep the sound inside the theater for the most part. I think I am going to get a good heavy set and leave theses up as well. As far as insulation goes many many fine suggestions were made in anther area of the forums the best of which seems to me to be to contact the local University which is exactly what I'm going to do when the time comes. Thanks for reading and any suggestions you might have. After a some time on the forums I'm pretty well able to accept constructive criticism so not to worry about that. Thanks, Nic

Hi, Someone must have asked, "why not just put up a wall on the 2/3 empty space?" The reason is because there is a lot of usable space behind the opening so we want to slide the drapes back and have a nice big area to entertain. Another obvious question is why all the big power for efficient speakers? I experimented and found the power, detail, and emotion to be overwhelming withoout the slightest hint of distortion anywhere. So I kept them. Its a little kooky but I'm very happy with it. Both Stereo and multichannel sound good although I still have to get the placement of the front speakers dialed in properly. Shake