Rosewood Khorns care

runninshine

I am set to pick up some rosewood Khorns (not sure if Lacquered or oiled) this weekend and I am wondering if hitting them with light steel wool and lemon oil will be ok?

They have been in storage for a few years in a dry climate and I would like to keep them as beautiful as I can and do not want to darken the wood.

Any suggestions would be great.

My then-new 1979 Klipschorns were oiled Honduran rosewood (KBRO). After a year of having to oil the things weekly to keep the veneer from drying out in splotches, Klipsch (at their expense) redid the finish to lacquer. After that, Klipsch no longer offered rosewood in an oil finish.

So, if your new-used horns are labeled KBRL, you have the easier-to-maintain finish. If you have the oiled finish, other forum members might have a good non-yellowing product to recommend to keep them looking like new.

Lee

My then-new 1979 Klipschorns were oiled Honduran rosewood (KBRO). After a year of having to oil the things weekly to keep the veneer from drying out in splotches, Klipsch (at their expense) redid the finish to lacquer. After that, Klipsch no longer offered rosewood in an oil finish.

So, if your new-used horns are labeled KBRL, you have the easier-to-maintain finish. If you have the oiled finish, other forum members might have a good non-yellowing product to recommend to keep them looking like new.

Lee

Hey Lee, My Rosewoods are 79 KBRL and I have been trying to find out which Rosewood they. Is this what yours looked like >

post-29696-1381963503485_thumb.jpg

At the time I ordered my Klipschorns and center Belle, I was working for Custom Audio in Little Rock. I was able to go to the plant and pick out my horns fronts and even the edge trim and bottom kick board.

My fuzzy recollection was the rosewood veneer on my speakers was Honduran, not Brazilian, as there was an import restriction on unfinished rosewood from Brazil.

Mine are similar to yours color-wise but the darker grain on mine is wider. Mine have cane grills which makes the rosewood really pop. I'd send you a photo but mine are in storage until our house is complete.

Looks like yours will have the lacquer finish. All I used to do was dust them or occasionally use lemon Pledge.

Lee

I'm considering flagging this one. Two posts from Lee Clinton in one thread is just too rare not to alert the general population.

Note to those not familiar with Lee: He knows what he's talking about, in any area of audio.

Thanks for the replys and heads up on this matter. I just talked with the seller and he said they were birch but the poor cell phone pics that I have seen, they almost look like rosewood but I might be wrong. They are in a storage unit and he does not know what the serial #'s say.

I will find out tomorrow I guess.

A few pics.

post-32793-13819635045644_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I got them home and they have been re-veneered in rosewood with some type of laquer on them.....I reather have them with the oiled finish so, maybe one day I can make that happen.

I posted a few more pics in the 2 channel thread.