North American English Dialects, Based on Pronunciation Patterns

Jay481985

I remember taking an online quiz a while back that had you select how you pronounce certain words and then it was supposed to tell you where you live or were raised. It hit mine dead on, northern midwest - Minnesota area.

- missed out on the Ottawa Valley. The Ottawa Valley is unique in many ways. It has a regional accent, micro-vocabulary and vernacular artistic styles in music and dance. The Pilatzke brothers originate from these parts and they're backing up the Chieftains right now.

Slainte. Hamish

None of the guys in Wisconsin have accents. [;)]

I remember one day, riding up the ski lift with another guy. As soon as I said "Lets put the safety bar down", the guy I was riding with asked me "you're from Wisconsin, arn't you?" I told him that yes I was and how did he know? He told me he recoginzed my accent. I guess I never gave any thought how I sound, but living in Virginia for the past 18 years, I do realize this is indeed a different culture here than what I remember from being in Wisconsin. Hell, I did not even know what "grits" were until I moved here.

None of the guys in Wisconsin have accents. Wink

I remember one day, riding up the ski lift with another guy. As soon as I said "Lets put the safety bar down", the guy I was riding with asked me "you're from Wisconsin, arn't you?" I told him that yes I was and how did he know? He told me he recoginzed my accent. I guess I never gave any thought how I sound, but living in Virginia for the past 18 years, I do realize this is indeed a different culture here than what I remember from being in Wisconsin. Hell, I did not even know what "grits" were until I moved here.

Whoa dude--that's a trippy story. Like we don't have accents here in the beaches of southern california either. rock on!

In the book Beyond Belfast, travel writer Will Ferguson walks the Ulster Way, a 560-mile hiking trail that passes around most of Northern Ireland. He noted the local variations in the pronunciation of a certain popular word.

Near Portrush, in the northwest of Ulster, he heard a frustrated golfer yell "Feck!" This led him to write:

This was different from the "fook" of Antrim and the "fack" of Belfast. It seemed to me that you could chart Northern Ireland's dialects through that single word -- the Feck, Fack, Fook Theory of Linguistic Regional Identity. There was a research grant in there somewhere, I was sure.