Need advice on buying a used receiver

CT vintage

Hi folks, I need to upgrade to a receiver from this decade. My current yamaha is pretty old. It doesn't have HDMIs even.

I want a top of the line, high power (150-170WPC) beastly receiver from a few years ago. It will need to have HDMI's. It doesn't have to be 7.1 because I'll NEVER use any more than
5.1. The heavier it is, the better. If it weighs 100 lbs I'd love it!

I don't need internet radio or any of those other "fluff" features.

I will be powering 4 klipschorns (mains and rears) and a KLF-C7 center speaker. That's it. Just 5 speakers. I will not ever need anymore..

Can anyone make some reccomendations?

thanks!

i have an onkyo 805 and love it. it delivers around 120 wpc with 5 channels driven (benchmarked, not advertised wattage).

someone can correct me, but i hardly see anything in the market that delivers 150-170 unless you want to spend a buckload of c$sh.

i would keep an eye out for an 805, or a pioneer elite (2-3yrs ago).

I want a top of the line, high power (150-170WPC) beastly receiver from a few years ago. It will need to have HDMI's. It doesn't have to be 7.1 because I'll NEVER use any more than 5.1. The heavier it is, the better. If it weighs 100 lbs I'd love it!

Here is a beast of a receiver from the mid 2000's that has HDMI and weighs in at 57.3 pounds. Marantz and Klipsch make beautiful music together.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1298905003&/Marantz-Sr-9600-Thx-Flagship-R

http://www.avguide.com/review/marantz-sr9600-71-channel-thx-ultra2-certified-av-receiver

Integra has one that might fit the bill.

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?rcvr71ch&1299037355&&&/-Integra-dtr-10-5-dps-10-5-int

70.8 pound monster receiver. That Integra DPS-10.5 universal player is nice also.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-10.5&class=Receiver&p=s

Bill

onkyo nr1000. paid 4K for mine in 2006. there are two on ebay right now used for 800 and one new one for 2000. the nr1000 is 160wpc into 8hms, 320wpc into 4ohms, etc. 7 channels with individual 24bit@192hz dac chips for each channel.

Hi folks, I need to upgrade to a receiver from this decade.

I want a top of the line, high power

I will be powering 4 klipschorns

Can anyone make some recommendations?

okay, here's my thought on this. first off you don't need much power with your speakers or any klipsch speakers to be honest. second, a good CLEAN powered AVR will still cost you some good money. third, there is only 1 processor that is upgrade proof (well as well as one could be).

when you compare dollar for dollar, upgrade ability, reliability, performance, and overall output sound, i think there is one company that you should strongly consider; Emotiva. i would suggest for the bottom line a UMC-1 ($699) and UPA-5 (? out of stock at the moment). if you would like to buy the best amp then go up to the XPA-5 ($899). a total investement of $1600 (it would be chepaer with the UPA-5 by a few hundred). as mentioned above some AVR's you might consider are $2000. when your processor goes out of date (they all do!) you can buy a new one from emotiva for 40% off then sell the outdated one you have and save even more money. it's really a smart move. with your speakers and emo gear, i believe you will enjoy the sound. i personally would suggest tube amps with your speakers buy you are using them in HT and i think the emo route will give you just as good sound at a fraction of the cost of tube's. if you are really trying to skimp, try and find a LPA-1 (i own one) for sale from someone. should cost around $400 or less. it's a 7 ch amp and if you only use 5 of the channels it's a 145 watt per channel amp. i use mine to power the rear 4 speakers.

thats my suggestion. good luck.

Lots of great advice here! Wow!

Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

I love that emotiva stuff but I just can't bring myself to buy brand new. I'm one of those guys who likes to let the other guy take the huge depreciation hit. I don't buy new vehicles either. Maybe I'll buy some used emovtiva pieces next year. [Y]