New here, H3s on the way, need advice on temporary amp.

ryanc

Grettings all.

Like the subject line says, I'm new here but have probably been lurking for a good year. I just ordered my pair of Heresy III in walnet and am absolutely impatient at this point. I initially was going to wait a while to order them, but perhaps and am glad that I already did since we have no idea what the Audiovox thing will affect.

Anyway, I am currently building a tube amp to drive the H3s, but in the mean time I was looking for advice on a amplifier that y'all think might do well. Luckily, I have the guys at Hawthorne Stereo nearby and they have a good collection of used stuff. Take a look at their list and let me know if anything stands out.

http://hawthornestereo.com/used/

thanks.

ryanc

Welcome to the forum.

I might be tempted to try one of their NAD integrated amps as a stop gap or were you looking for an amp only? Do you have a pre-amp? If so what kind?

My pre-amp is the Grado PH-1, but it is coupled with my turntable. I didn't occur to me, but I reckon I'll need an integrated amp if I was to hook anything else into it.

thanks.

ryanc

but in the mean time I was looking for advice on a amplifier that y'all think might do well. Luckily, I have the guys at Hawthorne Stereo nearby and they have a good collection of used stuff. Take a look at their list and let me know if anything stands out.

Welcome.

I think that NAD C370 or the Denon PMA-920 will both be great choices as temporary integrated amps with your Heresy III's. As a matter of fact, they both would be good as permanent amps for some of us. I have a Denon PMA-1080R hooked up to a pair of Forte's and could not be more pleased. Those 80's/90's Denon amps are fast and punchy.

Bill

Welcome to the forum. Always nice to see new members from the Seattle area. I love going to Hawthorne, a bit pricy but they have the best collection of gears around. As mentioned, NAD is good match for Hereseys, the C320BEE would go nicely.

I'm currently using switching between my NAD and Marantz 2220b on my La Scala while my tube gear is being serviced. If you're interested, I have an extra Marantz 2220b I'm willing part for $80 if you want to go that route.

• Like 1

twu,

I want to see what everyone has to say about Hawthorne's current selection, but if that 2220b is in decent shape, I'd be glad to take it off of your hands.

No worries. It's not mint but it's not beat up either. Just PM me if you're interested and I can send you some photos. Congratulations on the H3s, I've never Heresys so would love to hear them too.

• Like 1

H3's sound REALLY nice. Klipsch did a nice job on the improvements over the H2. They are a hair bass shy (just like several other Heritage models) but overall are an outstanding speaker. Crystal clean mids and sparkling highs. They actually sound good on SS gear too. You're gonna like 'em.

• 2 weeks later...