Music and Home Theater System

chisoxpurdue

I am wondering what to do with my stereo. I have 2 la scalas as fronts, 2 chorus as rears. I want to know what to do for a center channel and surrounds. The room is 13' X 31'. The stereo is used 80% for music, 20% theater. The room has a pool table at the far end opposite the tv. I am wondering what to use for side surrounds and the center. I was thinking Heresy IIs for the sides. Maybe an Academy or Legend C-7 as a center to give me a 7.1 system. Another option would be two more Heresys as a center and center rear for an 8.1. The subs are not a problem.

Hi Chris & welcome to the forum.

My opinion? NIX the idea of an Academy or other for center. I used to have three Academy's with my LaScalas and sold them. Utter failure as they simply get drowned out by the much more efficient LaScalas.

If you want to do it once and do it right, get a single LaScala for your center and have three across the front. You could probably use the Heresy's for other locations although you'd have a much more kick-hiney system if you could (over time) nab more LaScalas.

Do (can) you ever get to Indianapolis? There's a fine chap there who's got a 7 channel LaScala system in his basement. Hearing it once will illustrate the mistake I'm trying to steer you from.

(on reading that, it could be taken more than one way...[6] Sorry Roger, I wasn't dissing on your system! )

To clarify above, hearing Rogers system will drop your jaw to the floor and you will immediately understand the merits of matching your speakers as best you can. His setup is far from a mistake [;)].

Thanks for the response. I love how it sounds right now with the La Scalas and Chorus. The music sounds great while playing pool (Chorus end) and for movies (TV at La Scala end). I am looking to improve the system some. I agree La Scala or Belle eventually for a center maybe, but side surrounds heresy maybe? It helps carry the sound between speaks. I have speakers there now (Ohm C's, with Phase Linear Drivers) but would like to upgrade to Heresy's if people think they would make it sound better. We almost bought a second pair of La Scala's for the rear but they would make playing pool all the more difficult.

And the name should be ChiSoxPurdue as in a Chicago White Sox fan at Purdue. My best friend has the name BoSoxPurdue for most things after we both had SoxFanPurdue names.

I'll second the vote for a La Scala or a Belle for the centre channel. I had a Heresy III centre, but the Belle is a definite upgrade, plus it makes a great TV stand.

As for surrounds, La Scalas would be ideal, but the Heresy is much more compact and is a decent tonal match for the big Heritage speakers. The Heresy IIs or IIIs are also a reasonable match sensitivity-wise, which makes level-matching much simpler than with low-sensitivity surrounds.

I am wondering what to do with my stereo. I have 2 la scalas as fronts, 2 chorus as rears. I want to know what to do for a center channel and surrounds. The room is 13' X 31'. The stereo is used 80% for music, 20% theater. The room has a pool table at the far end opposite the tv. I am wondering what to use for side surrounds and the center. I was thinking Heresy IIs for the sides. Maybe an Academy or Legend C-7 as a center to give me a 7.1 system. Another option would be two more Heresys as a center and center rear for an 8.1. The subs are not a problem.

A 5.1 system uses side surrounds and a 7.1 system adds rear surrounds.

I'll second the vote for a La Scala or a Belle for the centre channel. I had a Heresy III centre, but the Belle is a definite upgrade, plus it makes a great TV stand.

As for surrounds, La Scalas would be ideal, but the Heresy is much more compact and is a decent tonal match for the big Heritage speakers. The Heresy IIs or IIIs are also a reasonable match sensitivity-wise, which makes level-matching much simpler than with low-sensitivity surrounds.

I'll Third the vote.

Using an Academy because an Academy uses all the room I have. Using the same and really good amp across all three front helps but the Academy just has a different Timber and never really matches the La Scalas. Heresy is a little better but still not quite there.

There's a fine chap there who's got a 7 channel LaScala system in his basement.  Hearing it once will illustrate the mistake I'm trying to steer you from.

You can't go wrong with a 7-channel Heresy system either. It's a near-perfect home theatre system!

La Scala or Belle for center, and Heresy IIs or IIIs for sides. Anything less for a center will be a mismatch, IMO. As somebody said, the Belle (and La Scala, if the TV base is not too wide) makes a good TV stand. If you have $$, the La Scala II is a more solid enclosure ... in any case, three La Scalas across the front wuld give you timbre matching, and you would have identical horns (as well as drivers) across the front. The Belle, while good, has a shorter mid horn. It is soooo important to have an articulate center channel. Even if you didn't have La Scalas on the front sides, I would still urge you to get a La Scala center, and since you do have the La Scalas, you really should put a third one in the center. An art house in Berkeley had La Scalas on either side of the screen, and the dialog was very clear (with analog magnetic or digital soundtracks only). Some optical soundtracks (on old or some international films) were a little harsh (GIGO), but you have a sub to fill in the bass where the La Scala begins to roll off. When playing old movies recorded in optical. I find that some, but not all, of them can be improved (made to sound more balanced) by turning up the sub a bit, and if the distortion is relatively low, a little treble boost may help as well. My Heresy IIs are just fine as surrounds (see system profile below).

La Scala or Belle for center, and Heresy IIs or IIIs for sides. Anything less for a center will be a mismatch, IMO.

I'd respectfully disagree with your assessment. I have tried La Scala Fronts, Cornwall Center and Heresy Surrounds and they are in perfect harmnony!