how about rating your klipsch , on a scale 0 to 100

quadklipsh

coz i think theres a lot of room for improvement in those .............

for instace ,BASS, could have been better and deeper . and fuller .

maybe i have never played em in a great room with great acoustics thats why im not knowing their potential at the low end.

highs are the best iv had .

maybe a bit lacking in the mid bass region where a few other speakers iv tested ,beat them!

I rate my La Scalas at 100! I love them so much, it is all about the music now adays, not the gear. Could the gear be better? Sure, but it can always be better. I am thrilled with my system.

I know longer am "chasing" a better speaker and that has been fantastic. I've had other speakers over the years and really loved my KEF's. But once I got the La Scalas hooked up and I updated the crossovers and fooled around with placement, I've never once thought getting a better speakers. Never once!

Dennie

The most impressive loudspeakers I have ever heard in a rather long audiophile life were Altec-Lansing Barcelonas. (15" air-suspension woofer and 500-20,000 expontential horn) Very high quality drivers. I'd rate them 100. For purposes of reference, let's call large bookshelf/pedastal speakers with 8" woofers and a dome tweeter 50 (mean average).

The best speakers I have ever owned were Altec-Lansing A7-500 Voice of the Theater speakers (combination horn and bass reflex loaded 15" woofer and 500-20,000 hz expontential horn). These are more or less comparable to the Klipsch La Scala, with maybe a little more low bass extension. Very high quality drivers. I'd rate them about 90.

I recently downsized my two channel stereo to include Klipsch RF-7 II's. They are excellent, lots of low bass extension with a smooth midrange and crisp highs. Sonically neutral. An excellent overall sound, perhaps more "laid back" than the A7-500's, but not quite as detailed. I'd rate them about 85.

MARVEL...

those 2A3s must be wonderful!

i saw em and look terrific .

how many watts per channel there ? KT 88s in there !Smile

hows these amps are compared to integrated transistors , luxman etc ?

Doc,

They are 2A3 tubes in a SET configuration, and do about 3.5 watts per side. Simply magic on the LaScalas, There are some folks on here with 2A3s in a push-pull setup, giving a bit more power.

Bruce

I rate my Forte 1's at al least 90/100. They're the best speaker I've ever owned. I don't audition speakers too often, but I feel extremely fortunate to have had a chance to buy these. The person selling them had advertised a Harman Kardon 430 that I was initially responding to, when the Fortes appeared. I was going to ask, no doubt. I'd been lusting over Klipsch for quite awhile, and this was my first/last/best chance. No more waiting, I pulled the string, and voila... Awesome awesomeness. Done and done done.

Chorus IIs------95 (Belle Klipsch or Khorns would be better if I can ever come up with enough $$$$$$)

Forte Is-----------92 (Bought them to sell but after listening to them I had to keep them)

KG 5.5s----------85 (Nice thump but I just prefer the sound of a 3-way speaker)

stock unmoded La Scalas have few wonderfull strengths but also few crucial drawbacks which IMO prevent them to go even into 90s.

but add bass, but better tweeter, sort out xover (i like the simplest A type), do some bin bracing - and paired to high quality tube amp we're talking about very serious performers.

2005 La Scalas after pulling the AL4's and putting in Bob's type A's with motor run caps have to be 110% with the SETs. I can't imagine ever looking at another speaker.

Mine may be unique in having a little more low end response, too!

I think the AL4 was designed to accomodate the slightly lower inherent sensitivity of the new sourced units for the mid driver and the tweeter by padding them less (elevating their level) against the woofer to hit the 104dB rating (which the LS II calls 105db). Using the type A restores the original padding, so with the slightly less sensitive mids and highs, the low end is up a little relative to the mids and highs. The difference in the new high end drivers was supposed to be about 1-2 db, so pulling the 105db configuration back down to 104db with the Type A results in an additional 1-2db relative boost in the low end.

So my La Scals may be providing a little more relative power at the bass end of the frequency response curve... with changing anything about how the woofer itself is behaving - a perfect match for SET listening!

stock unmoded La Scalas have few wonderfull strengths but also few crucial drawbacks which IMO prevent them to go even into 90s.

but add bass, but better tweeter, sort out xover (i like the simplest A type), do some bin bracing - and paired to high quality tube amp we're talking about very serious performers.

Mine were ok to start. I replaced the AL crossover with a simpler DH2 designed by John Albright (forum member). Added an Eminence APT150 tweeter on top, but moved it back to be aligned with the mid driver... AWESOME!!!

You should try moving the JBL tweeter back...

Bruce

My 1992 forte II. 97/100! Never heard a better speaker/footprint ratio. Tractrix midrange is outstanding INMHO.

I have performed the following modifications/upgrades:

BC Networks, BC Titanium Tweeter Diaphragm, K53 TI Drivers, Titanium Diaphragms.

No, they are not, nor will they ever be for sale!

The KG 5.5's need some crossover work I think, sometimes I get a higher end distortion at low volumes, so... 65/100

RF-82's 85/100, RC-62 75/100 (great for smallish center), RB-61's 75/100, RW12/10d's 55/100 (noisy cabinets).

-Kelly

Correction. The distortion was a dirty speaker select switch on the Kenwwod (should have known). I now rate the KG 5.5's 87/100. Looking into getting Mr. Crites Ti diaphrams. [:D]

-Kelly

I think without question that the MCM 4T Grands would have to be the #100 of the Klipsch pile, but alas, I have not heard them and JC is the only guy I know of who owns a pair. What I have heard is the 2-Way Jubilee, so I am guessing at a 95 in comparison. Slightly below Jubilee, I would put KPT-600s at a 93 because of the superior Bass. At about 88, I would put the MCM-1900 4-way stacks. At about 84, I would put the TSCM. I would put Klipschorn in a propper room at 80. La Scala at 78. The Chorus, Forte, Quartet would be 77-74 for articulation. RF-7s at 70. Note, I have owned all of these speakers except for MCM 4T Grand, Jubilee, Chorus and Forte'.

Roger

Roger- that's a good breakdown, and probably pretty accurate.

I put my LS at 100, mostly to humor myself. I heard a pair of 60th Anniversary Ks at Klispch, and they were obviously better than my LS.

Bruce