Is it worth it at this time? Chorus II

mr84monte

Just wondering here currently I have a Kenwood 409 receiver. Some day I will be upgrading, but for now, my front speakers are Cerwin Vega DX-5's. I am thinking about a set of Chorus II's. Would this just be plain stupid at this time? Would the Kenwood be able to supply the power needed? Other speakers are a SW12 II and the rears are rebel KSS-2' and a KV-3 center.

Mr. Monte - I'm not familiar with the power of the Kenwood 409 receiver, but the Chorus are incredibly efficient at 101 db/w/m. I think, but could be wrong, that CV's are not as efficient, so they would take a lot more power to drive. If they were even 92 db sensitive, the Chorus will take 1/8 the power of the CVs (ideally) to deliver the same volume.

Plus, the KV-3 isn't too bad a match for the Chorus -- not the greatest, but not the worst. (Better matches would be the Academy, KV-4, or KLF-C7 probably.)

Doug

------------------

My System

mr84monte-

No, this is not a stupid move at all. I believe that the most important purchase in audio is the speakers. No where else will you get more "bang for the buck" than in speakers - it's the one component that can and will drastically change the sound of your system - more so than any other audio purchase. Spend money on good speakers and your ears will be happy.

Chorus II's are a very good choice as a main speaker. They will benefit from better amplification, but your Kenwood will drive them. Get the Chorus II's, then upgrade the receiver or amp when the dollars are available.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

Mr84-

The Chorus is an incredible speaker and you would certainly enjoy them very much. As Doug said, they have a 101dB sensitivity, so it takes very little power to make them sound good. Your KV-3 would do fine as a center.

I have the Forte II, the "middle" brother in the Chorus/Forte/Quartet line, and had the KV-3 for about 8 years. It is quite a good center. I upgraded (more like cross-graded) to the KV-4 about a year ago. It's a good speaker, but a bit brighter than my Fortes. Then I got the Academy, and it was just right. That's one speaker that won't be leaving the house anytime soon!

If you can find the Chorus II at a good price, get 'em!

I take it, Mr M, that these are the ones you were bidding on?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1345850388

The seller appears to be a bit too proud of his speakers. Yes, they are in nice condition, but Mike Lyndsay on this board found a mint pair of C-II's for $500 I believe. So, it all depends on how long you are willing to look, and if you have the money to pay a premium.

BTW, these look like walnut, not oak, to me but I could be wrong.

Doug

------------------

My System