Multchannel SACD's ?

Tommytutor

I recently purchased a Sony DVP-NC650V 5 disc dvd player to replace my dead Sony DVP-C650D player. The new one plays SACD's and came with a sampler cd. It says it is a multichannel disc, does this mean it is surround encoded? If so, how do I get it to play in the surround mode? I have a Marantz SR7000 receiver. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You need Boa -- you'll find him faster at the Home Theater Forum section.

You might want to repost there.

I'm assuming you have a multi speaker setup and have read the manualcwm35.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 Super Amp

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

Sony SCD-C555ES

Marantz DV-7010

Klipsch RF7's

Klipsch LF-10

MIT/Monsters

Toshiba 36"f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>c>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 04-13-2002 at 04:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate your help. I need to pick up some extra cables and try the 5.1 analog inputs at the receiver. I currently have it hooked up to the cd analog inputs. It took a good hour of reading through the manual to see in fine print that the sacd's won't play through the digital input on the receiver, sheesh, I liked the good old days when you could hook the stuff up without the manual. Again, thanks guys for the help. Tom

Boa 12

I looked through the book and didn't see anything on bass management other than subwoofer level or sub on or off. The manual is 102 pages long, all english, so I may have yet to stumble upon what you were asking. Thanks for your reply to my question though.

Tom

Boa - agree with you on the Sony site - it must be the worst one out there - I can never find anything I want.

As for the bass management issue on SACD players there seems to be some confusion. It seems that the less expensive players do not have it, or have it in such a cut down way that it is virtually useless, more expensive players (like the 777) do seem to have it.

It gets more confusing with the combo DVD/SACD players like my NS900. That seems to have full bass management functionality (small and large settings for each speaker - with or without sub and so on) but there is some debate as to whether this is used only for DVD play-back or also works with SACD MC setups.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to test it out as I run all my speakers large and have my sub direct connected via the mains speakers (this was the setup advised by Telarc for replay or their MC SACD's).

In other words - whether I have bass management or not I am bypassing it.

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

My C222ES player does have bass management. I have go access it through the menu on the player. It give me options to engage the subwoofer function. But it is dependent on the media being played. If I am playing a SACD through the analog 5.1 inputs the subwoofer is active. This is not the case if for me when I play a standard CD. The digital tracks are not picked up through the analog outputs. Although I find that standard CDs sound just a pleasing through the analog outputs. The bass is cleaner and more natural then in the digital domain. My music preference is classical, so for me it is not essential that I have a thumping bass. SACDs are fantastic in their clarity. Get the cables and get out your favorite CDs and switch between the analog and digital and I think you will be surprised.

------------------

Bill J.

My Music System

I recently purchased the Sony SCD-CE775 Sacd player. The first disc I bought is Miles Davis Kind of Blue which is multichannel. I have both the 5.1 analog outputs and the 2 ch outputs connected. When I play the multichannel mode of the disc I get nothing from the sub but 2 channel the sub is active. Is this simply because there is no lfe signal for this particular disc in the multichannel mode? This is the only multichannel disc I have so I can't compare it to another one. Also, I have a Denon AVR1801 receiver that does have 5 channel stereo but no Pro Logic II. Is the SACD format best suited for PLII? When I listened to the SACD in Circuit City they had it hooked up to some crappy Sony speakers and receiver but whatever dsp mode they had it on I heard all kinds of ambience coming from the rears.I get much cleaner sound on sacd than normal cd but the only mode I can really listen to the multi channel in is 5 channel stereo so all 5 speakers are playing the same thing. I thought sacd was supposed to send discrete sounds kind of like dd or dts or am I wrong? I guess I may need to get a receiver that does PLII. It just seemed like in the store I was hearing more ambience. The receiver in the store didn't have PLII either but it was playing in some other funky dsp mode that sounded good. All the DSP modes on my Denon suck except the 5 ch stereo. Let me know what you guys think. Probably just need to upgrade to PLII?

------------------

the goods

goods, your denon should have an ext-in input selection & those 6 inputs are where you connect the 6(5.1) outs from your sacdp. some disks may only have 2 channel sacd while others may have 5.1. should tell you on the disk's start up screen. but with this you'll get whatever the disk puts out.

when you use these inputs, aka direct inputs, they bypass all processing in your denon. so it doesn't matter which sound modes u select w/ the denon. the sacd player & it's processing controls the sound here.

if these sacd player's do have bass mgmt. for that format then you should get output from the sub no matter w/ as little as 2 channels on the sacd.

i think willjam is saying even w/ a 2 channel sacd disk he still gets sub output w/ his player & the right bass mgmt settings in that sacd player.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-22-2002 at 01:30 PM

willjam, after rereading your last post, & not being able to get any info from sony's site, i still wonder if you do actually have bass mgmt in your player for sacd.

if you do have & you play an sacd disk that's only 2 channel then you should get sub output if the other speakers are set small in it's bass mgmt. same with 2 channel cd's when you use the direct analog inputs to play them.

this is not using your digital connection. of course if you use that then your receiver does bass management. and if you play any 5.1 disks - sacd or dvd-video thru the direct analog inputs you'll get sub output because you have the .1 material. if it has bass mgmt then you'll also get sub output from any of the other channels set small.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

The 775 has a variety of sometimes confusing options. It does have some bass management capabilities and sub output can be turned on and off. I don't have time at the moment, but if you still have problems after studing the manual, I would be glad to try to help. I have two of these great little SACD wonders.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Boa12, I checked my setup when I got home last night and I did have the 5.1 jacks going from the player to the ext-in inputs on back of the Denon. I'm assuming that the Miles Davis multi channel mode simply has no lfe signal. I do have the bass management set to 5 small + subwoofer. The readout on the display of the player does say 5 ch and not 5.1 for this disc. Also, 2 channel seems to play much louder on this disc than multi. Anyone else have this disc and what kind of feedback do you have if so?

------------------

the goods