Klipsch Budget 7.1 Surround Sound System

Kabigon

Here is the best 5.1 Polk Setup I have come up with to fit my budget:

Polk Monitor 70 Floor Standing Speakers x2

Polk Monitor 40 Bookshelf Speakers x2

Polk PSW505 Subwoofer

Polk CS2 Center Channel Speaker

How would this system sound? And what would be the Klipsch competition in the same price range? Most of Klipsch' single speakers seem too high-priced for my budget. :( The cheapest floor standing speakers are $550/pair (RF-42 II), cheapest sub is $300 (Synergy Sub12), cheapest bookshelves are $280/pair (RB-41 II), and cheapest Center Speaker is $230 (RC-42 II).

This is going by new retail prices, of course.

So, assuming I can't find a deal on the Klipsch speakers, how would this Polk System perform?

Referring back to the Klipsch References on CL that Youth linked, would it be worth it to buy those older models and try to find the matching speakers?

I'm not sure if you picked up your receiver yet but as others have suggested, you can purchase up going used. I picked up a Sony DE997 in perfect condition for under 100 bucks just so I had a back up 7.1 if the Onkyo puked. If you back off to 5.1 and don't get hung up on HDMI switching there are great deals out there on great receivers that were 1000-2000 that you can pick up dirt cheap that will allow you to focus on the mains and center and sub and you could pull off a really good performing system and stay around your budget. IMHO

• Moderators

Islander is spot on with his advice. [Y] Take your time. I know patience doesn't come easy for most of us but if you are patient, you will save yourself a TON of money AND you'll end up with a sweet system you can enjoy for many years to come.

• Moderators

Are those speakers really that amazing?

Compared to a HTIB, yes, they would be amazing. With audio, and as with most other things in life, you get what you pay for. The great news is you don't have to spend a fortune to get quality sound. You just have to be patiend, have cash on hand and jump immediately when good deals come along.

I, along with the many others on this forum, have found some amazing deals. The subwoofer in my signature originally sold between $2000 and $2500. I bought it on CL for $200. Works perfecly. 15" sub with 1250 watt amp.

Is two years a long time in the life of those speakers?

I used to make fun of a friend of mine who is probably in his 50's that has had a pair of speakers for over 20 years. As mentioned, speakers typically will last forever if you don't abuse them. Unlike electronics, there really isn't much to break. I have absolutely no problem buying used and almost never buy new. Out of everything I have purchased used (mostly from CL), I haven't had anything die except an Onkyo 2ch amp I picked up at a yard sale. It lasted maybe 2 weeks. LOL

I can understand your wanting to immediately have a 5.1 or 7.1 system. But trust me and the wisdom that is in this forum....take your time. I put together my system in 1 - 1.5 years. Seems like a long time but this is a system that my family will be able to enjoy for many, many years.

Don't worry about going 7.1 right now. 2 main reasons for that. 1) An apartment isn't big enough. My room is 13' x 19' and I don't feel it is adequate for a 7.1 system. 2) There are very few movies that are actually encoded with a true 7.1 track.

Like I said, I would love to buy some high quality used audio equipment for dirt cheap prices. The receiver especially I would like to find used or refurbished.

I have no problems being patient and waiting as long as it is reasonable. I don't plan on waiting 6 months to buy 5 speakers only to save $100 or something like that.

The main problem is I don't know what I am looking for. I only know a little about these speakers I have mentioned and researched. Therefore, if a good deal does come along, I probably won't even notice it. lol Maybe if it's a Klipsch or Polk item, but still highly unlikely.

The fact that the CL community in my area is so scare and terrible just compounds the problem. I haven't really found any good deals on ebay and when you do see something appealing, it always costs like $50 to ship it.

I'm more than happy to take advice and find deals but you guys gotta teach me how to do so. haha I am lost in the audio world. :P

• Moderators

I'm more than happy to take advice and find deals but you guys gotta teach me how to do so. haha I am lost in the audio world. :P

You have come to the right place. We all enjoy this and enjoy helping others out. We all started where you are at now.

I knew I forgot to mentions something. My first HT system was a Polk Audio RT-800, CS300 and F/X500's. I even kept the photos online here. I had them for many years and they sounded pretty good. I bought a pair of older Klipsch CF-2's and immediately fell in love with the sound of Klipsch. They had the highs that I was missing from the Polks. I've never looked back at Polks again and I have even heard their famous LSi series (not impressed).

I second the earlier suggestion of getting 2 mains for now and build it up over time......

I understand wanting it NOW; but I am really glad I was patient.

Every item in my signature was bought used; most for $100- $150 bucks.

I wish you luck......

(BTW; that Polk system is better than HTIB; but not as good as a Klipsch Reference setup).....

Kabigon, i copied what i wrote last night on the first page of this thread, i wrote my post and then edited it for like 30 minutes and you had posted already, i dont know if you saw it.

now im gonna go out on a limb here and suggest this klipsch setup for you. The Icon W series from klipsch is a great sounding system. Vanns.com has them for a smacked up great price. These are the bookshelf models, i dont know if they will be carying the floorstanders as i think they may have discontinued that line. They are great sounding though. For sure in the end need to have a subwoofer. Now, i know it pushes your speaker budget by 250 but you can get a great bookshelf system for $750 that in my opinion will shame the hd 500. A subwoofer you can match later on and isnt as critical as making sure the timbre matches of your speakers match. The timbre fyi is more or less making sure that each speaker sounds the same, more so in the tweeter. Subs and bass, well, there is no timbre matching, thats why you can wait on that. These prices are good and they will go out of stock. If you did spend the 750 you would atleast have the speakers. You may have to wait a little to purchase a receiver but atleast you'd have the speakers, it would be a start. this is how i would go about things if i were in your position.

WC-24 Center in espress (also available in cabernet)

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/548567023/klipsch-wc-24

WB-14 bookshelf speakers

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/542430009/klipsch-wb-14

My theory on upgrading is this, unless you can find speakers used, building your system piece by piece can be difficult, once they stop making a certain model, your kind of out of luck. If you upgrade, your clock is running down, you really need to get it upgraded in a certain amount of time. This sucks because you want that timbre match. Sometims you can get away with different models and get a timbre match but sometimes, it can be difficult. The best way to assemble a system is to make sure that atleast the center and left and right channel match. Surrounds you can get away with the timbre match being off a little bit and the sub doesnt matter.

I hope i didn't confuse you at all with the timbre matching business. My golden suggestion of the night is not to rush. If you are so hell bent on surround, buy a 200 dollar HTIAB and save up the cash to buy the right system for you later on. spending 200 isnt bad in the realm of the speaker world to just get by for the meantime. Buy what you truely want and what will make you happy, like i said, upgradetitus is a mean bug, once its got you, you arent happy until you are happy.

Now adding on today 4/4/11, you say you live in an apartment, do not get a subwoofer. I live in an apt as well and you will piss off all of your neighbors. Subs produce sound waves that are large and power and it will go through your walls and floor. One of the reasons why i have the towers that i do is so that i can get that low end extension i want without having to have a sub.

also, if you are eying up other brands, take a look at mirage, they are owned by klipsch, they sound clean and use a technology that basically eliminated off axis problems. If space was an issue, their sattelites are great but need a sub, they also make floorstanders as well. give them a looksy

Well, that definitely changes everything with no sub. lol

I actually should have realized this before. When I had my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, I couldn't even turn it up 1/4 of the way with the sub turned almost all the way down without the neighbors banging on their floor. When I was sitting down in front of the computer, it sounded extremely low and reasonable. However, when I stood up, you could hear the bass reverberating through the walls and floor. No matter how low I turned the sub down, that thing had some ridiculous punch.

How much will the sound quality suffer without a sub, though? I mean, with the $200-$300 I was planning to spend on one, I can definitely upgrade the rest of my setup.

What would be the best route to go sans sub, then? :)

I am selling off some computer components that I no longer need in order to finance my new sound system.

Someone offered me a trade of 2x Polk R50 Floorstanding Speakers for my XFX HD Radeon 6870. (It's an AMD graphics card for anyone unaware and I'm asking $200 for it.)

I don't know much about the R50's, however. It's a decent deal if they're in great shape since he will be paying for shipping but how good are those speakers? I'm familiar with the Monitor 50's, but I could buy them brand new for $184 Shipped from NewEgg. The R50's, though, are around $360-$400 for a new pair at the cheapest I have seen them.

Can you guys give me some opinions on the R50's and whether or not they're worth $200? Thanks!

What you need is a "mean time" system, as in, itll get you by in the mean time until you canget a sub. The system i have is a "mean time" system. Your price range is what limits your capabilities. The icon w system i listed i think would definitly get you by in the mean time. Its a huge upgrade over stock tv speakers. In your price range, getting towers isnt so much of an option since your used market, well, sucks.

In the end i think your decision will come down to working within your price range purchasing klipsch or buying another brand that gets your more in your budget but what i would consider not to be the same quality as klipsch.

What's pictured there is not what you actually get. You do get the RF-42 II system shown here: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rf-42-ii-1-overview/

It retails for $1109.00, so you would get $170.00 off (15%) and a free sub. I'm not familiar with the PA-120, but it retails for $259.00 here: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pa-120+subwoofer&hl=en&prmd=ivnsfd&resnum=1&biw=1259&bih=818&wrapid=tlif129695107889010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10336499498397545870&ei=I-dNTauBOIOBlAejx4XnDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAA

It's a complete system, new this year, and it is shipped to your house for under $1000.00. Not bad!