Emotiva UPA-7 Closeout Price $599

SuBXeRo

• Moderators

This may make you laugh (or cringe), but they have been set to "no sound" for 5 years!!!! Ha! My wife kept telling me that they "didn't sound the same as we heard in the store".!!!! Ha! now I am laughing myself...

Wow. I'm just glad you finally figured it out and are now enjoying them.

@ rich guy

I did get the snake and it works fine. I ended up getting an 8 or 10 foot cable since I may keep the controlling end (AVR/Pro) in the room while everything else is enclosed in a rack in the closet. The guys at audioprola were super cool and responsive (especially with a one cable order). The trigger works well also.

I saw in the UPA manual that some audiophile cables work in "one way". Do I need to worry about which way the signal is carried?

I just hooked up my new UPA7 and was impressed. Using previous Pioneer Elite vsx 54 as a preamp, but all speakers hooked to the amp. I now know what yall have been talking about when you say "headroom". I would have said "calm" but I think "warm" is also an expression. My "calm" would be "less pingy" sound and more "wholistic". Secondly, I freaking realized that my bass was set at "no sound"! Imagine have two THX Ultra 2 subs and not having them rumble... then hearing the UPA7 and the subs come online at the same time. My morning has been nice...

Before I get jumped on for not knowing about the subs -- I kept hearing them in the system setups and assumed they were connected -- just couldn't find out why there was no performance. This may make you laugh (or cringe), but they have been set to "no sound" for 5 years!!!! Ha! My wife kept telling me that they "didn't sound the same as we heard in the store".!!!! Ha! now I am laughing myself...

Pardom my last post to you. I did read futher up! (4 kid distraction syndrome.)

I like your description of the sound being "less pingy" and more "wholistic". I experienced that too.

No one will beat you up for the sub stuff. If only my mistakes were that simple to resolve!

Glad you are enjoying the UPA. And the headroom makes a big difference, no?

Personally, high end cables for speakers are a waste of money. Think about it. The signal is AC, not DC. It travels both directions on both wires. Direction on speaker cables means nothing. It would be like having wiring in your house having arrows on the leads. Higher guage is the way to go to make sure you don't lose any signal. Heck you could run cheapo 18 guage cable and wouldn't be able to hear much a difference unless you're in a lab environment at reference listening levels.

It's the same with HDMI. HDMI is digital. If there were any bits lost, you would hear and/or see it. If the digital stream is getting there, it's all good.

I saw in the UPA manual that some audiophile cables work in "one way". Do I need to worry about which way the signal is carried?

Not really, but a general rule is to always run the cable with the writing on the cable facing in the direction of travel the cable is being used.

Like this:

[CD player] ----- writing on cable------- [processor] -----------writing on cable -------- [amp] ---------writing on speaker wire--------- [speaker]

couldn't tell a difference.....perhaps the 805 was doing a fine job, or i have dead ears...or maybe a combination of both...

didn't get the WOW factor i was hoping for.

i take that back.........

had some buddies came over last night, and decided to crank the amp up a bit....and BIG difference...

listened to the Eagles Farewell Tour again, and i noticed bass was a lot tighter and smoother. clarity on instruments was much better, and i also hear a big improvement in soundstage....

guess i have to listen a bit louder from now on....

Edit: no sure the improvment was purely on the amp, since i got also got the Integra 9.9, and upraded the crossovers. perhaps, it's a combination of all things.

• Moderators

Is this a serious question or are you joking?

I think he's serious (nothing wrong with that).

Crossover simply put is a device that blocks certain frequencies. For example, you don't want low frequencies going to your tweeters so you would have a crossover that cuts off any frequencies below a certain Hz. Likewise, you don't want high frequencies going to your subwoofer so you have a crossover that is typically 200hz or lower for the sub. You can have xovers built into the speakers, an external xover device or even have it built into your AVR or Pre/Pro

couldn't tell a difference.....perhaps the 805 was doing a fine job, or i have dead ears...or maybe a combination of both...

didn't get the WOW factor i was hoping for.

i take that back.........

had some buddies came over last night, and decided to crank the amp up a bit....and BIG difference...

listened to the Eagles Farewell Tour again, and i noticed bass was a lot tighter and smoother. clarity on instruments was much better, and i also hear a big improvement in soundstage....

guess i have to listen a bit louder from now on....

Edit: no sure the improvment was purely on the amp, since i got also got the Integra 9.9, and upraded the crossovers. perhaps, it's a combination of all things.

Great! [:)]

Is this a serious question or are you joking?

I think he's serious (nothing wrong with that).

Crossover simply put is a device that blocks certain frequencies. For example, you don't want low frequencies going to your tweeters so you would have a crossover that cuts off any frequencies below a certain Hz. Likewise, you don't want high frequencies going to your subwoofer so you have a crossover that is typically 200hz or lower for the sub. You can have xovers built into the speakers, an external xover device or even have it built into your AVR or Pre/Pro

I didnt mean that to come off rude, Its hard to tell when someone is joking on here or not. lol

anyway YOUTH pretty much said it.

• Moderators

I didnt mean that to come off rude

I don't think you sounded rude at all and I personally didn't take it that way. I just jumped in there to help prevent anyone from making a snide remark. I remember at one point, I had no idea what a crossover was (still don't know the correct terminology highpass, lowpass etc). LOL

It's all good bro. No worries.

I was being serious. The original post made it sound like there was an external device that was added to the setup. I figured that the crossover was knob that you could turn on the AVR (like on my sub amp). This seems like the same thing as setting your regular speakers to "small" if you have subs hooked up. Everyone seems to say keep the sub setting at 80.

• Moderators

To make it more confusing, you can adjust the xover within the AVR for your speakers and your sub, there is a xover within your speakers (to direct highs to the horns, mids to the mid and lows to the woofers) and xover in your sub's amp. [:P]

To make it more confusing, you can adjust the xover within the AVR for your speakers and your sub, there is a xover within your speakers (to direct highs to the horns, mids to the mid and lows to the woofers) and xover in your sub's amp. Stick out tongue

are you serious?

.....kiddin'...

[<:o)]

Looks like all the UPA7 excitement has left the boards -- had to find this thread on page 2! Wanted to follow up and say that I really like having the amp. This is my first amp (so can't compare), but there is a noticeable difference in the sound. It's fun...

Yeah, It really make a difference in detail,richness,seperation of instruments

i love my UPA-7 pairs nicely with the Onkyo TX-NR5008 pushing 9 channels

I couldn't agree more. I'm half way through all of my favorites and I'm still smiling.

• Like 1