B&K Sound Type A/4500 Crossover / CT-125 Tweeters

jwilson55

Well, I think it more boils down to what type of sound someone likes. The K-400 is a little more in your face and a bit pinched down sounding compared to the tractrix horn I use but still sounds nice, very much the unique Klipsch sound to it. For those who like the more in your face sound, may like the K-400 better. I say this because about two years ago I had recommend to a friend who was building his speakers, he had the chance to buy some used wood tractrix horn or used K-400 horns. I convinced him more towards getting the wood tractrix horn. I heard later from his wife that he always sort of held a grudge towards me for that because he wanted a more forward in your face sound and I recommend getting the tractrix horn. He switched them out about a year later and liked the K-400 horn, she said he liked them much better for the more impact and in your face sound. Now I try to get someone to listen to both and make their own mind up. I always felt bad for steering him in the wrong direction he wanted to go in! Some of us like sound differently than others, so I try to keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Well, I think it more boils down to what type of sound someone likes. The K-400 is a little more in your face and a bit pinched down sounding compared to the tractrix horn I use but still sounds nice, very much the unique Klipsch sound to it. For those who like the more in your face sound, may like the K-400 better. I say this because about two years ago I had recommend to a friend who was building his speakers, he had the chance to buy some used wood tractrix horn or used K-400 horns. I convinced him more towards getting the wood tractrix horn. I heard later from his wife that he always sort of held a grudge towards me for that because he wanted a more forward in your face sound and I recommend getting the tractrix horn. He switched them out about a year later and liked the K-400 horn, she said he liked them much better for the more impact and in your face sound. Now I try to get someone to listen to both and make their own mind up. I always felt bad for steering him in the wrong direction he wanted to go in! Some of us like sound differently than others, so I try to keep that in mind.

It never crossed my mind that someone would actually prefer the pinced in your face sound. [:S]

Craig

I have this combo and like it. It's kind of interesting to note that the La Scala II HF crossover is at 4500 too (along with 1" plywood for the bass bins).

Very Interesting. I didn't realize this. I checked the specs on new khorns after I read this. They are also crossed at 4500.

I tried a pair of Altec 511 horns on my Klipschorns and went back to the K-400 horns. The K-400 horns gives me a more direct sound and spreads well across the room. For me they blend good into the Klipschorns. Bigger mouth horns spread their sound out further reducing the sound directed toward you and some may prefer this lower midrange output to their ears. I'd guess that PWK tried other horns including larger mouthed ones and he chose the K-400. He said we live in the midrange and I'm sure it was important for him to get that right. I find he did.

This is similar of what some have told me why they like the K-400 horn better, and some just get used to the K-400 first and like that sound.

I have a larger tractrix horn and it sounds good but it does take away that certain unique sound the K-400 has. I still think it sounds good. Both horns sound good to me but a bit different on how they do the sound, so it's easy for me to understand why some would like either horn better that fits their taste on how they like the sound. I would never say it sounds bad, it sounds quite good to my ears! I'm sure PWK knew what he was doing! [Y] Why would he purposely give us a bad horn as Al wants everyone to believe? Sound was his life / work.

I would never say it sounds bad, it sounds quite good to my ears! I'm sure PWK knew what he was doing! Yes Why would he purposely give us a bad horn as Al wants everyone to believe? Sound was his life / work.

I am sure PWK wanted the best sound he could provide for the money. PWK was more than and engineer, he was also a gifted businessman. The K-400 dates back to the 50's or 60's, I would hope horn design and manufacturing has come along since the then. I am sure the only reason the K-400 still exists is the because it is the hertage sound. If horn design reached its apogee in the 60's we would all still be listening to metal exponential horns, if that's the case we may have been bettter off in the 50's with the wood horns.

bad horn as Al wants everyone to believe?

ALK's choice of words is not unlike the K-400 horn. Both can be improved upon.

Craig 73

I would never say it sounds bad, it sounds quite good to my ears! I'm sure PWK knew what he was doing! Yes Why would he purposely give us a bad horn as Al wants everyone to believe? Sound was his life / work.

I am sure PWK wanted the best sound he could provide for the money. PWK was more than and engineer, he was also a gifted businessman. The K-400 dates back to the 50's or 60's, I would hope horn design and manufacturing has come along since the then. I am sure the only reason the K-400 still exists is the because it is the hertage sound. If horn design reached its apogee in the 60's we would all still be listening to metal exponential horns, if that's the case we may have been bettter off in the 50's with the wood horns.

bad horn as Al wants everyone to believe?

ALK's choice of words is not unlike the K-400 horn. Both can be improved upon.

Craig 73

Now we are seeing the return of the aluminum exponential horn to help with power compression and to lower distortion.

http://www.eminence.com/2011/01/eminence-speaker-llc-introduces-heavy-duty-2”-horn-flare-the-h2ea/

• 3 weeks later...

After about a week with this upgade, I really do like it. With good recorded media, the sound is really nice. On the other hand, with poorly recorded media, it sounds bad. These speakers do nothing for poorly recorded media just as I had read. I think this is the case regardless of the crossover used. I've read a few posts where folks talk about those ear piercing highs. I can't help but question the quality of the media.

I'm very happy with the B&K A/4500 and the CT-125's.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Thank your posting the information about the B&K tweeters up grade with the 4500 crossovers. I installed the B&K tweeters and my ALK crossovers blew a capacitors running the tweeters. They the A-series model so a older pair. I’m going to install the 4500 from Crites. Crites people are always polite and helpful, along with this forum information posted.  I did change my subs in my back speakers to eminence Kappa’s,  Belle klipsch. I also installed a rubber cork gasket to the front. It made an air tight seal against the wood and added nearly a quarter of an inch more room to push air. vast improvement! I run an old 2325 Marantz receiver, at quarter volume I’m at live bar sound levels. Room is about 24x28. I will probably keep my set up for the rest of my life as it is very life like and I enjoy feeling the music playing. I run a M&K powered sub with the k-horns up front. Thank you for your shared information.