My basement HT is finally complete!!! Check out my pics

BLOOMIS914

Well it's finally done, let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Thanks, Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

This message has been edited by BLOOMIS914 on 05-19-2002 at 09:15 PM

VERY nice.

Went through all the photos... I'd like to have that kind of setup some day...

I'd love individual pictures and/or info about your equipment though, being a gearhead and all...

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Very nice, BLOOMIS. Your hard work is going to be enjoyed for a long time (until you move)

... I will show your pictures to my wife if she continues to grinch about my (relatively)inexpensive surround speaker purchase...

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

A big-*** HDTV

GREAT JOB BRETT!

lotza work-well done.the'stage'really is a nice touch for a ht setup.gotta love the ksps-6's,one of my all time favorite surround speakers.what's this then...no movie reel/popcorn/ticket patterned carpet? Wink.gif avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Brett, your wee ones have to be jumping for joy with a daddy like you! Seeing the quality of your work and the dedication to detail is an inspiration to all of us on the Forum.

What a great facility in which to start a new upgrade path... but for now, enjoy it until Christmas... and then may your Heritage wish come true.

The leather seating will be particularly exciting as leather conveys the impact of subwoofer's better than any other covering according to Floyd E. Toole, Ph.D., the industry's foremost expert on acoustics and psychoacoustics. I know, first hand (err seat?) that the more bass you have... the more exciting quality leather seating becomes!

From the photos, it seemed like your center channels were aimed straight ahead rather than tilted upward toward ear level in the sweet spot. As handy as you are with tools, you might consider something like the KLF-30 Center to fully take advantage of the front center weighted sound mixing that is now and likely to continue to be prevalent in 5.1 (and above) DVD's and multi-channel music.

I have A/B compared my two KLF-C7's as centers as well as an Academy... compared with my custom "horizontalized" KLF-30 and the 30 wins by a huge and revealing margin. It is probably the upgrade that will bring the biggest impact for the smallest cost. Of course, if your room were mine, I would probably suspend a second "horizontalized" KLF-30 from the rear ceiling tilted down toward the sweet spot to provide a discrete rear effects channel befitting your new room.

Of course, you could do the same thing to a "horizontalized" Chorus pair to do front and rear effects.

Since your Right, Left, & Center Mains are on the stage to provide close speaker-to-screen linkage, another upgrade you might keep in mind are a pair of Front Effects speakers to widen your soundstage. Put one high up near the ceiling on the left corner and the other an equal distance from the center of your screen.

Front Effects speakers seem to work best when they are angled towards a point a foot above your ears when seated in the sweet spot.

Sorry for all the extra suggestions just when you want to kick back, take a nap and then enjoy the fruits of your labor... but it is the fruits of your labor that prompted me to share my experience. Enjoy!!! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Great job Bloom! Now I know where you've been lately!

I've got a few questions for you.How did you go about determining the mounting position of the S-6's?

Can you give us the play by play on your refinishing of the front main speakers? There has been interest here in the past regarding painting speakers black. From your pics it appears your job turned out well.

And, how does it sound?

Keith

Brett, outstanding job , you put your ideas to work and it came out great. How nice it must be to have a basement like that. The last few months ive been thinking about converting my garage into a home theater. After seeing your work I think I want to put my ideas together and get started.

You me and you have a few things in common. I also collect sports cards. I have a $15,000 Micheal Jordan collection. Took me over ten years to collect it.

Its interesting to see someone that has the same intrest's as I do..

oh ya If you ever decide to use ultras for your bass system, It would make a world of difference. A theater like that shouldnt be without them.

NICE HOME THEATER!

Monty

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Mitsubishi 55" HD widescreen tv

Toshiba pro scan DVD audio player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver

SVS 20/39 subwoofer w/Samsom S1000 amp

hey brett! that looks amazing! and a LOT like what i am going to do. here is a link to my post on my setup...

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003470.html

if youhave any opinons on what i should use, since no equiptment has been purchased, please let me know, i would love to get some input, especially with the projecter and screen Smile.gif

looks great!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Hey, that is really sharp! That just may inspire me to consider moving my home theater down into the basement. I have a nice big room down there that would be perfect. Anyway, that really does look wonderful. Congratulations on a job well done.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great compliments!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the delay in response but family trip to Disney for the last 10 days kept me out of touch......It was a form of rehab being away from all my new HT equipment!! Maybe worse!!!

Anyway, to asnwer a few questions:

HornEd- center speaker is toed up towards listeners in front row and mains are toed in slightly....I used a laser pointer to shoot the sweet spot in the face when seated...(Is this obsessive???)

Boa12- Yes, I am currently on a mission for a new or used C7 for the rear center............Anyone????? I have some good trades!

Talk to Keith-- Chorus II's & C7 were refinished by simply light sanding with 220 sandpaper then using a tack cloth to remove all dust. speakers were then masked with painters tape and all "finished wood" surfaces were spray painted with 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Black Satin Enamel. They turned out awesome and look brand new/factory condition. Waited about 24 hours between coats.

Surrounds were mounted approx. 2 feet behind first row seating and even or slightly ahead of 2nd row. Bottoms of speakers are 52-53" from floor and they are 15" tall, making top at 67".

J-malotky- I wen to great lengths insulating the walls and ceilings of my basement to prevent vibrations and sound throughout the rest of house. I have killer sound and bass and nothing has walked off a shelf....yet!

Thanks again and keep the questions coming!!

Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Audioquest interconnects

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

This message has been edited by BLOOMIS914 on 04-28-2002 at 12:39 PM

Talk to Keith--I forgot to include on Chorus II refinishing that I removed the original brown burlap speaker cloth---BLAH!...and carefully pulled off the Klipsch stamped metal logos from each.

I purchased some black grille cloth from Joann Fabrics and used 3M solvent based spray contact adhesive, Stong stuff, and rebonded new grille cloth and then used Krazy glue to re-bond logos to the face of grilles/grille cloth......

Whole project cost less than $20 and took about 6-8 hours over 3 days. Very easy, just take your time and think things through. I used 2 cans of Rust-Oleum Black Satin Enamel for the Chorus II's and the C7.

Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Audioquest interconnects

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

This message has been edited by BLOOMIS914 on 04-28-2002 at 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info Brett.I'm planning to do a little Klipsch sub paint work when I get the time and I appreciate your suggestions.

One thing I would like to suggest is that you investigate using the KSP-C6 center for your rear center speaker(as boa suggested).The KLF-C7 sounds much more aggressive(like the Legend towers)than the C-6, which has a more refined/laid back sound.I can tell you the C-6 blends seamlessly with my Synergy fronts and seems to disappear.I actually think the C-6 is a better sounding speaker for HT use than the C-7.It may possibly blend better with your surrounds and do a better job of disappearing into your rear soundstage.

Don't buy purely on my recs though as I haven't tried both for rear center use with S-6's,only front center use.! I know BobG or Trey could give you a good answer.Give 'em a try.

Good luck and great HT!

Keith

Keith- Go for it, just make sure whatever you paint is very clean and free from dust before during painting and in a dust free environment while drying or tacky. A Klipsch sub should be easy since they do not have the smooth wood veneer.

Smoother surfaces show more defects....Think the hood of your car.

I edited my posts to reflect I used Rust-Oleum not Krylon black satin enamel.

Vavoline- thanks for the comments. It is indeed a great treat now to enjoy with my family and friends. I am picking up 8 movie posters I had framed this Monday and will be mounting and then posting the new photo's to my site probably late Monday night or Tuesday. It should really be a nice finishing touch.

Brett

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Audioquest interconnects