Subaru WRX

kenratboy

Yes, this has nothing to do with speakers, but this is the GENERAL forum. What do yall think of the Subaru WRX? I am quite impressed by it, fast, practical, reliable, AWD, cheap to keep, etc... I have a 01' Outback (el stropo trim, but mechanical systems same as any Outback) and LOVE IT TO DEATH! Does anyone here have a opinion on the WRX? The STi is TOO EXPENSIVE and I don't want to pay sticker + 10% for one.

Any input would be great!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

My mom has one, I've driven it several times and still drive it regularly, because I love it.

I'll give you the short version now, if you want more, tell me.

Keep in mind I was used to several cars before getting accuainted with the Rex: a Dodge Caravan and a Tracker, which I drive regularly but not every day, an automatic Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (my grandma's), which I drive almost everyday, and my Dodge Stealth, which I also drive almost everyday. Yes, there are five cars in our driveway. cwm1.gif

The Stealth was my main comparison platform. It is a good car, lots of torque with it's big V6, and very hard sports suspension.

The WRX: First thing you'll notice is the gearbox, very notchy, nice feeling, but the clutch isn't nearly progressive enough for my tastes. This is kind of a harsh car when you're not totally used to it. It gets better after a while though, as you get used to it and become more gentle, and as there is some wear of the clutch and gearbox.

The suspension is perfect: it's not sloppy even though the car is relatively high and is made for light offroad driving, but it's not too harsh either. Just right for those tight corners.

The engine suffers from turbo lag, especially compared with my Stealth, it takes a lot of time before the engine spools up, unless you rev it and drop the clutch, which isn't recommended for everyday driving, with 227hp... But when the turbo kicks in, at around 3-4,000 RPM, then it's pure bliss. It doesn't seem to me like it's accelerating too hard from the car dynamics and the way it handles, because it is higher than the Stealth and has more suspension travel. But there is this unmistakeable feeling of getting squished in the seat... It's much quicker than the Stealth.

Driving it around tight roads with lots of corners and up/downshifting is really great, except the brakes are sub-par compared to the rest of the package. With that notchy gearbox, you don't need a shorter shifter to get really quick shifts, once you get used to the clutch.

IMO, its practicality is unrivaled. There is lots of room in the back seats, the trunk is quite large, and it's an AWD, which makes it even more fun during Winter! The only problem: trying to restrain yourself from pushing it hard when somebody is riding along, like the girlfriend for example. They will quickly suffer from motion sickness, as it is hard to drive it hard and smooth. It is not very thirsty for gas, considering it's an AWD.

Another great thing about the Rex is that the aftermarket is LOADED with parts already. You will gain a lot of horsepower by doing some very simple mods to the car once it's broken in. Trying to convince my mom right now. Upgrade the exhaust, intake, and ECU, and you've just gained appreciable power!

I don't know whether you have the regular Outback or the Impreza Outback, but I know the feeling will be different, a lot different if you had a Legacy Outback. My grandma's car, which is another Impreza (although it's the wagon and automatic) feels very sluggish compared to the WRX, and the Outback Sport is already a pretty quick car around the corners, although it accelerates like a dead pig. Of couse, pretty much everything feels sluggish compared to that quick, nimble, quite powerful little champ.

My biggest gripe? It sucks for highway driving. In the Stealth, I drive around at 150-160 km/h with ease, without pushing my abilities or the car, in a very safe and stable manner. With this car, 130-140 and it starts to tell me I'm pushing it. There is still a lot under the pedal, but the aerodynamics just aren't right for that type of high-speed cruising, you hear the wind blowing and the car doesn't feel well planted on the road. Also, it's ugly. The styling does grow on you though, and the rear wing helps tremendously.

It's also very comfortable, a lot of things come stock, like the 6-CD changer (the sound system sucks though, but that's to be expected of pretty much all cars nowadays) or the seat heaters. The finish and ergonomics are nice, another big complaint of mine is that there is no rear wiper. I hope they have a good excuse for this, because rear visibility suffers a lot in less than ideal conditions.

All in all, a great car, as long as you're not looking for a torquey beast that can go real fast. It's the most fun car I've driven yet, because it's fun to drive all the time, except the highway, which is never a lot of fun anyways because of those damn cops.

One thing though: CHANGE THE TIRES!!! They suck for dry, wet, and snowy conditions. Basically, they really aren't worth crap. I would personally buy a set of bigger rims and slim tires for the summer, and use the stock rims and good winter tires in the cold season.

Well, it turned out to be the long version after all!! Don't hesitate to ask me for pictures, precisions, whatever you want!

Subaru rocks!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 04-16-2002 at 01:52 AM

If you can live with the looks and the bolt on wings etc. I would say it is a great choice.

Seems to do very well on Rallies. Not the most comfortable beast on the road though - and a bit to "boy-racer" loud for me, but then again I drive a Land Rover Discovery so what would you expect.

You will certainly get better milage than I do - hell I think the Hummer gets better milage than I do (car magazine stated - "drains oil refineries in a single vist" about my car but from memory they loved the Subaru).

------------------

My System: http://aca.gr/pop_maxg.htm

I've owned two SVX (one was stolen Frown.gif ), currently driving a '92 SVX with 115K miles. Have also owned Legacy Turbo Wagon and Outback wagon.

All four cars were head and shoulders above anything else I've ever owned in terms of reliability and dependability.

Subaru AWD system gives even the SVX tractor-like ability in winter driving. I can't tell you how many times I've driven up the icy snow covered roads in Oxford passing (literally) dozens of cars that slid off the road, and the SVX has never even twitched. (I do use Blizzaks in the winter.)

I LOVE Subarus.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

maybe, unless we get the WRX STI, which is supposed to happen, isn't it? then it would be a tough call.

did you take a look at the crappy Lancer you guys got in the U.S. this year? What a shame!

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Thanks for all the info:

-This will be my ONLY car is I get one.

-I have driven a 01' Outback (with a 4, not a 6) and I LOVE the car, except for acceleration.

With this in mind, is there anything else in the Subaru line that I should consider? The STi (Smile.gif) would be impossible for me to get. Anything else I should think about? I NEED AWD.

I am also considering a BMW 325xi Wagon. Is it any good. My dealer won't have one in for a while.

Oh, I will need to learn how to drive a stick if I get the WRX...

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

learning the standard on the Sube will be a steep learning curve, I recommend you try and practice on another car so you don't hurt your baby. automatic simply isn't an option, though. no you don't have any other car to consider in the Subaru lineup, the WRX is THE one to have. or the WRX wagon, if you need the extra hauling capacity. don't forget to look into aftermarket parts, it will really kick the performance up a notch.

------------------

OK:

For me to learn a stick:

-Go to my Local Subaru dealer, order a WRX, do dirty, slimey haggeling with the salesmonster and get a good price (we got a STEAL on our Outback...Smile.gif, a REAL steal, not literally!)

-Buy a $1,500 Honda Accord or equivalent with a stick and have my dad (the only person in my immediate family that can drive a stick) TEACH me to drive that stick WELL.

-Take delivery of my new WRX, knowing how to drive a stick well, spare it the GRINGING and clutchless shifting.

I agree, the WRX is NOT the sort of car to learn how to drive a stick on. I don't want to hurt the poor baby, like you said; 100% agreed! Also, I got four death threats at work when I asked if I should consider an automatic, hump, no auto for me!

I would be awfely tempted to order ir with the $3,000 BBS wheel option. It would take the car up to almost $28,000 MSRP! The boost gague is a must!

How would one go about fixing the turbo lag? I have heard about it EVERYWHERE, the problem, that is. Someone said it would cost 3-4 grand (5-6 Canadian) to fix it. Could I do it for a thousand or two? What actually needs fixing?

------------------

Definitely try to learn to stick shift before driving the Sube, the little problems with the harsh gearbox I mentioned are compounded with a stick learner. But don't worry about driving a stick perfectly before getting the car, because going from knowing how to drive with a manual transmission and knowing how to drive effortlessly, smoothly, and efficiently with a manual transmission is mostly getting used to the particular car's transmission. It took me maybe an hour or two to get used to the Sube's transmission. But I'm still not used to my grandma's auto transmission, it sucks so much...

I'd say you only need a couple hours practice with another standard car before getting into your brand-new subaru. That's if you can drive, some people are just hopeless at this, and it's okay, but judging from your comments, you like to drive.

Do not order it with special accessories except maybe the fog lights and the rear wing (unless you thin you'll want to change it later on).

For the wheels, go to this adress:

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?autoMak e=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+Sedan&autoYear=2002

and choose the wheels you want, chances are they will cost you much less than $3,000.

From what I can gather (I'm no mechanic and I'm actually pretty clueless about that stuff), the turbo lag can't altogether be fixed. However, there is a little plug that you can remove (it's there only to reduce noise) that will increase its effectiveness. Apart from that, people tell me it's real important to balance the upgrades between the three important parts of the car: intake, exhaust, and ECU (the computer chip that regulates the engine). By changing the air filter, upgrading to a more efficient ECU or having the existing one reprogrammed to make better use of the turbo, and upgrading the entire exhaust system, you can make huge performance gains, although they will come at the cost of some fuel efficiency.

Replacing the wheels and tires is a must IMO, and I would also change the muffler, for that unmistakeable low growling sound. After all, we're all sound nuts here, aren't we? the rest is up to you, depending on whether you're looking for real performance or just a fun daily driver. I like the Prodrive P7 wheels, they are not too expensive at $260x4 = $1040, and good if you're not looking for much bigger wheels. don't forget to factor in the cost of the better bigger tires as well!

------------------

This message has been edited by Seb on 04-17-2002 at 03:07 PM

Seb, your owning this forum!

I am a good driver. One pull to get into a parking space, accelerating for an onramp 15 seconds before everyone else, you get the idea.

Will I only need a few hours to get ready to drive a stick? I can rent a stick car for $85 a day, and trash it if there is a problem... Wouldn't use my buddies 2001 M5 to learn! (can you say $20,000 of Microsoft stock in 1991)

thanks for the info!

------------------

If I owned this forum, you'd see a lot more advertising!!

cwm1.gif

Trust me, it really doesn't take too long, with a good teacher it's obviously much faster.

When I learned to drive, I only needed one hour-long session with my driving teacher to master the basics, the next one we went city-driving right away. Which obviously scared the crap outta me, but I ended up doing not too badly.

You get over the crunching gear stage very fast, it's getting used to the clutch and how to work it simultaneously and use it progressively that takes more time. Actually, you could learn in the WRX without damaging it too much, but it would be very frustrating.

I was so unused to the car's clutch and feel that I was very disappointed the first time I drove it. The second time... pure exhilaration!

Good luck with the purchase, and I hope you get it in blue! Can't go wrong with that car really.

------------------

If you do decide to do some mods to this BRAND NEW CAR may I suggest you consult SEMA (Specialty Equipment and Manufacturers Association) first. If a modification is/was the cause of a direct failure someplace else (i.e- an outbord turbo timer wired incorrectly just fried the ECU) then the warranty is useless. Don't get me wrong, I did a few hide-em go-fast-goodies to my 94' Talon when I first got it. Oh hell, I drove it straight from the dealer to my house and put in a Borla exhaust, K&N air filter (a must for any internal combustion engine) and NGK platinum plugs which were all just waiting for it in my garage. Couldn't wait till the engine cooled so torquing the plugs wouldn't hurt the aluminum head.

I thought about those mods very carefully too before installing them. Checked with SEMA and none of them had an adverse effect on the warranty, though the guys at the dealer did grumble a little bit since there was nothing they could do. I think it had something to do with all of those new parts were "ware items". It was later on I ported the exhaust manifold myself. But man does this thing sound good for having no turbo, no nitrous oxide, supercharger or any other forced induction. Oh yea, and a auto-transmission (left knee problems from a former pro-skateboarding career).

So treat it like a pair of Klipsch's, "Easy does it".

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

yes, tom is right, and by all means, let the car have its run-in period. plus, it wil allow you to realize how much you've actually gained from the changes, and let you get used to the car.

just drove my mom's car again, pure joy. you'll like it.

------------------

I drove an automatic (in the VERY back of the lot) Subaru WRX today. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! I am too big! Sorry! I loved the car, though.

On my way home I went to the VW dealer and test drove a Passat 4MOTION. OH YEAH!!! It was SWEET! It had some go and had so much room, I DIDN'T HAVE TO SLIDE THE SEAT ALL THE WAY BACK!!! Best part is that I can get one for $26G's. That is with the dark blue paint (forgot color name) and tan leather interior. Had tons of little features that are REAL fetures. The paint was out of this worldSmile.gif.

No matter what, I need AWD AND some "GO", as this will be my EVERYTHING car. It also had the room I needed as well. I think the Passat is a sure winner.

No, it's not the WRX, but it beats my Volvo 940 and mom's Outback to HELL! It was also fun to drive. I can also pay WAY below MSRP because, unlike the WRX's, people aren't lining up to buy them. There are thousands of New Beatles in Reno, and quite a bit of others.

OK - Any comments on the Passat? I have driven a ~1965 Bug and understand where Volkswagen came from (can't forget Hitler!) and I think they are doing a good job to this day.

------------------