Best sub for music w/2ch system (RF-7s) for $1500 and under?

orrb_05

Right now it's a toss-up between the HSU VTF-15h and the Epic Empire - I do like a sealed sub better for music, but the HSU seems to be getting great reviews - only problem is that I don't want a sub to overwhelm the room physically - sonically is acceptable however :)

I guess the Epic is not as big as the VTF though - any thought on the RMS for each sub - 350 vs 500?? Does the fact that the 300w is ported and the 500w is sealed balance out?

Bottom line is I do not want a boomy response from the sub.

Thanks for the input.

A post from Pete From HSU research

"The build quality, sound quality, feature set, and output capability of
this new subwoofer is extremely impressive. One would need ULS-15
Dual
Drive to match/exceed the clean output capability of one VTF-15H
from 16-100Hz. Of course, the VTF-15H is twice the size too, but very
impressive in many respects!"

Thats 2 ULS-15 Drivers to 1 VTF Wow now thats impressive.

I'm partial to dual subs unless you intend to go with a very low x/o. SVS, Epik, Hsu are all killer values. Dayton Titanic III 15" on sale is also very good. The Velodyne DEQ-15R has a bit less output, but is very civilized, with built-in 5-band EQ. More food for thought.

For less than $1000 you can get a builder to make a Bill Fitzmaurice Table Tuba shipped to your door. That, or I'm sure Mr. Hedden at Danley could hook you up with a CS30 for right around the high side of your budget. Both, IMHO, are some of the finest consumer level horn-loaded subwoofer product of the last decade. Either one will leave your jaw on the floor and a dollop in your pants.

I am sorry; a sealed enclosure to me always sounds better.

It's quicker by design; the backpressure rebounds the sub back quicker.

Never any burping; never any chuffing.

Tuba (horn) subs are a different animal..... They are capable of mega amounts of bass, but it is a very different sound.

(If sealed is one end of the spectrum and ported is the middle; Folded Horn sub is the other end of the spectrum).

No flaming please; to each his own.......

A post from Pete From HSU research

"The build quality, sound quality, feature set, and output capability of this new subwoofer is extremely impressive. One would need ULS-15 DualDrive to match/exceed the clean output capability of one VTF-15H from 16-100Hz. Of course, the VTF-15H is twice the size too, but very impressive in many respects!"

Thats 2 ULS-15 Drivers to 1 VTF Wow now thats impressive.

But it is a huge footprint( ~2.5 times bigger!!!)..... Unless it is in a dance hall; such a big enclosure is difficult to place properly.

I could quote the reviews of the Dual Empirw setup; but I think it is better to let the OP do some research.

Ultimately; it is his ears; his layout; his situation; and his ears........ (and his money).

OP.... Good Luck.

I guess the Epic is not as big as the VTF though - any thought on the RMS for each sub - 350 vs 500?? Does the fact that the 300w is ported and the 500w is sealed balance out?

Thanks for the input.

Yep; you are on the right track.

The RMS probably balances; typically Ported (or folded horn) subs require less power to acheive similar results. (The HSU is likely not to be boomy).

But I still feel the sealed Epik will be more ACCURATE...... tighter...... quicker.....

These are my thoughts...... I am passionate about this...... You ultimately need to decide for yourself.

(Hard to do when you can not demo a sub). You live near Chicago? My sub is no Epik; but is sealed and can give you a general idea of how a sealed sub sounds...... (One Epik Empire is probably approaching 160% of my performance; 2 Epik Empires? sick)....

Thanks for the input.

Yep; you are on the right track.

The RMS probably balances; typically Ported (or folded horn) subs require less power to acheive similar results. (The HSU is likely not to be boomy).

But I still feel the sealed Epik will be more ACCURATE...... tighter...... quicker.....

These are my thoughts...... I am passionate about this...... You ultimately need to decide for yourself.

(Hard to do when you can not demo a sub). You live near Chicago? My sub is no Epik; but is sealed and can give you a general idea of how a sealed sub sounds...... (One Epik Empire is probably approaching 160% of my performance; 2 Epik Empires? sick)....

Well - I'm coming from a Velodyne Optimum 12 (sealed 1200w RMS - 2400w peak). It did not seem to be keeping up with my RF-7s. Either that, or I don't have the ear for this. When I ran the RF-7s in 2ch stereo, with & without the Velodyne, there was not enough low end difference to justify the $1400 Velodyne - very disappointing.

I'm contemplating just going with what I know, which is a Klipsch RSW-10 or 12. I had the RSW-10 with a pair of RB-5s about seven years ago, and from what I can recall, it sounded great for music.

It is a pain when you can't audition without expending cash.

This point I agree with..... 100%

In regards to the Velo; that is a really good sub also.

Are you sure it was set up properly? (Position; crossover and phase?) (If you are using a receiver) Did you try running the RF7s at "small" and crossing at say... 60 hz?

I know it made a huge difference when I let the sub only do most of the bass handling.

Your ears may vary........

This point I agree with..... 100%

In regards to the Velo; that is a really good sub also.

Are you sure it was set up properly? (Position; crossover and phase?) (If you are using a receiver) Did you try running the RF7s at "small" and crossing at say... 60 hz?

I know it made a huge difference when I let the sub only do most of the bass handling.

Your ears may vary........

It was set up properly - Velo uses a mic and runs test tones for room optimization. I tried it in different spots as well, which helped some, but not much. I also tried it with the RF-7s as small, large, and with bass to both - I messed around with the crossover at 80, 60, and 40. Perhaps it was just blending so well that I was not noticing a dramatic difference - I was never able to localize the sub, so that's one good thing.

For less than $1000 you can get a builder to make a Bill Fitzmaurice Table Tuba shipped to your door. That, or I'm sure Mr. Hedden at Danley could hook you up with a CS30 for right around the high side of your budget. Both, IMHO, are some of the finest consumer level horn-loaded subwoofer product of the last decade. Either one will leave your jaw on the floor and a dollop in your pants.

If you have decent wood working skills you can build a tuba sub for around $400 that will have a build quality better than anything available commercially. I built mine out of a combination of 3/4 and 1/2 inch baltic birch. (http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/142985.aspx) It works beautifully with my La Scalas for both music and movies, and I am sure it would do the same for your RF-7s. If you are near Cincy I would be happy to let you hear it.