Best sub for music w/2ch system (RF-7s) for $1500 and under?

orrb_05

Well - I'm coming from a Velodyne Optimum 12 (sealed 1200w RMS - 2400w peak). It did not seem to be keeping up with my RF-7s. Either that, or I don't have the ear for this. When I ran the RF-7s in 2ch stereo, with & without the Velodyne, there was not enough low end difference to justify the $1400 Velodyne - very disappointing.

If the music doesn't have lower bass than the RF7 could handle, than you shouldn't expect it to sound different. A sub shouldn't draw attention to itself.

Well - I'm coming from a Velodyne Optimum 12 (sealed 1200w RMS - 2400w peak). It did not seem to be keeping up with my RF-7s. Either that, or I don't have the ear for this. When I ran the RF-7s in 2ch stereo, with & without the Velodyne, there was not enough low end difference to justify the $1400 Velodyne - very disappointing.

If the music doesn't have lower bass than the RF7 could handle, than you shouldn't expect it to sound different. A sub shouldn't draw attention to itself.

Yep.... +1!!!!

A properly set up sub should integrate seamlessly.

Then the Velodyne worked fabulously, because there was no distiguishing were the bass was comong from, yet there was no significant improvement - I had a hard time telling if the sub was even on at times.

This then adds to my delima. Maybe the question I should be asking is:

Do I really need a subwoofer with a pair of RF-7s for dedicated 2 channel system?

I can't see waisting the money on $1500+ subwoofer if I am not getting a significant audible return on my money.

Perhaps I should buy another RB-1080 an bi-amp the RF-7s instead?

Thanks All for the input.

Then the Velodyne worked fabulously, because there was no distiguishing were the bass was comong from, yet there was no significant improvement - I had a hard time telling if the sub was even on at times.

This then adds to my delima. Maybe the question I should be asking is:

Do I really need a subwoofer with a pair of RF-7s for dedicated 2 channel system?

I can't see waisting the money on $1500+ subwoofer if I am not getting a significant audible return on my money.

Perhaps I should buy another RB-1080 an bi-amp the RF-7s instead?

Thanks All for the input.

To help answer your own question......

Do you consistantly listen to music with high LFE?

(Pipe organ music; Reaggaton; Dance Music; Some Death Metal bands; etc?)

Your Velo likely got down below 20 hz...... But that is not needed for 2 channel if you only listen to music that goes down to 35-30hz......

(Which the RF7s can do almost all of)......

Maybe bi amping might be a better option......

Lots of good values thrown out there in this thread. I would look for the most balanced sub for the buck if I was buying. Its hard to find a sub that will produce 12-16HZ for HT at a decent db and then turn around and double as a "musical" sub. I have listened to a few out there, but it was a no brainer for me when it came time to choosing just one.

Those are slim picken's - wish I could find one though!!

If you're considering going back to a Klipsch sub, I would highly recommend picking up a RSW15 and giving that a listen with the 7's for 2 channel. I've tried others but IMHO that combination is wonderful for audio.

Just make sure you get a sub made for music and not HT, that's the most important point. I have 2 Bill Fitzmaurice Titan 48s horn subs......as seen in the center my avatar. My system is completely horn loaded with Klipsch MCM-3 Grand + Titans. It's got plenty of bass.

Thanks for all the replies!!

I scored a RSW-12 off the forum, so we will see if this cures my blues. I've had this sub before with a Reference 7 HT setup and was very impressed, but we will see how it works out for strictly music! I'm not anticipating being disappointed...