Heresy I Refinish - Pics Update 4/25/11 - Motorboard Assembled

SuBXeRo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont really have 400 to plunk down on used corns or fortes

Now if you find a pair of Corns for $400 find the money and fast! That would be a cheap price.
Then find another pair of Heresy and use one for a center channel, the Corns for your mains and the other pair of Heresy for surrounds and you've got a Heritage 5.1 HT setup!

Ah the addiction grows... [6]

i have to really position them well, i mean they are just on the floor right now, in my small seating area, they need to be more at ear level and be toed in.

They originally had risers on the bottom that angled them upward.

Both of the pairs of Heresy I owned didn't have risers either. I think it was an option for quite a while, not all of them had risers from the factory.

The first pair I bought the guy threw in some speaker stands that raised the speakers up about 6" and tilted them back. It made a big difference. I'm sure you can find some cheap or make some speaker stands yourself. Like all speakers placement makes a big difference on the sound.

Well, as it stand right now, i wont be starting the reconditioning until another commission check comes in for me . I want to make sure i do things the right way and not skimp.

As it stands right now, my project list stand as this:

1. Clean the drivers up; remove all accumulated dust, dirt and grime (this can all be done which it will as of now)

2. Terminal Cup/Plate
-Speaker cups (square) if i keep the vintage look, restain and polyurethane (havent decided on gloss sheen yet) maybe lacquer?
-Terminal plate w/ binding posts if i paint the cabinets black and polyurethane (havent decided on gloss sheen yet) maybe lacquer?

3. New speaker grills (i think my grills will cover the front wood frame, i dont particularly like seeing the wood frame. I will also attempt to implement magnets for the grills, i really like this feature versus pegs)

4. Cabinet refurb
-Sand as much as possible to ensurea smooth working surface and work out as many dents/stains as possible
THEN
-Staining the cabinets in a dark espresso (I really like the dark espresso found on the Icon W series, something similar to this) And several poly or lacque coats to maintain a more classic vintage look
OR
-Paint in a flat black and poly or lacquer to give a more modern look.

5. Create custom speaker stand to raise the cabinets up to a height somewhere between rf-3 and rf-5's, i find these to be very comfortable heights for listening. I will of course put some finesse to the stand as it will be a more classic or a more modern loook depending on how i refurb the cabinets.

6. I will make sure to tighten all connections between drivers (as i will have to remove all of them to properly resurface the cabinets. I will make sure to detail everything so i can actually put it back together). I will also ensure that all seams are air tight, i will use clear silicone as needed and for removable panels, i will use a rubber seal that is none sticky so i can service the units as needed.

Depending on how adventurous i am feeling, i may just build a new enclosure to the factory specs, move the drivers forward to sit flush instead of being recessed. If i did the flush mounting, id have to adjust the internal cabinet volume. If i rebuilt new, i would also purchase 100% hardwood and not use any veneer. This is all of course in speculation if it was feasible. This would be over and above what i really feel like doing at the moment but its an option.

I am looking forward to testing them out on my xpa-5 when it comes back, i think itll make a difference. My gf was a little taken back that i am actually keeping these versus a speaker flip for profit. They arent terribly huge which works well, bringing home a belle would produce a huge issue haha.

• Moderators

If you wanted to make them look a little better just for now you could just sand and paint, that may look a little better for the gf.

I think you will like them, 2 more sets for a complete ht. [6] Or your separate 2 CH setup. [6]

NOW is the time to break in the gf, because if you run across a really good deal again..........training starts early ! [:o]

LOL, i really have no desire for a full heritage surround system, nor do i have room for it. I wanted this to be a classic 2 channel system, maybe eventually hooked up to a tube amp.

I mean, for the meantime, i dont have an extra amp really sitting around to play them with, well i have the sony that i am using now in lieu or my xpa-5, so i could use that for the time being. I might bring them to work or begin the restoration.

The time will come where i will have my own man room and as many speakers as i want! I told her, i want one room for all of my shit, i mean everything barring the HT system to go in the living room. Other than that the man room is my room, all of my shit goes in there and she gets the rest of the house. She likes my regular home theater, she's never snickered at quality or anything which is nice.

I had been looking and wanting to try some new speakers. I had been looking at paradigm, b&w, klipsch heritage, energy, mirage but so far, the best deal was on these heresys, they were in my price range and now presents a fun project!

LOL, i really have no desire for a full heritage surround system, nor do i have room for it. I wanted this to be a classic 2 channel system, maybe eventually hooked up to a tube amp.

I mean, for the meantime, i dont have an extra amp really sitting around to play them with, well i have the sony that i am using now in lieu or my xpa-5, so i could use that for the time being. I might bring them to work or begin the restoration.

The time will come where i will have my own man room and as many speakers as i want! I told her, i want one room for all of my ***, i mean everything barring the HT system to go in the living room. Other than that the man room is my room, all of my *** goes in there and she gets the rest of the house. She likes my regular home theater, she's never snickered at quality or anything which is nice.

I had been looking and wanting to try some new speakers. I had been looking at paradigm, b&w, klipsch heritage, energy, mirage but so far, the best deal was on these heresys, they were in my price range and now presents a fun project!

Once you get them hooked up to a better receiver/ amp; you might just fall in love; as I have.

Get 'em mated to a good sub (someday; in the future man cave) and you can literally immerse yourself in the music.

To me; that is what it is all about........

I currently am going through car stereo upgraditus.... It is hard; because nothing compares to the Klipsch sound.

I currently have MB Quart components; and soon to be installed 3 way 6X9s......

It is getting there; but even after the amp and sub; I do not think it will be in the same league......

(Hopefully close)

Yep.... I truly love the Heresies..... I hope your feelings grow for them...... They are an amazing speaker.

I do enjoy just killing the lights and closing my eyes to the brink of falling asleep emersing myself. Thats why i love my rf-5's now, they have that full range but the bass is soft enough to not blow me out of my seat. I am hoping the same will be accomplished with the xpa-5/heresys. Man cave...one day.

I am a car guy as well, i want to upgrade my car audio but my 2008 altima has a pretty awesome non-bose stock system. Cars go away eventually...home audio stays for a long while!

I had checked out mb quarts and since they were bought out by maxxonics their quality overall has gone way downhill from what i understand. They used to be fantastic speakers, i was actually considering them...until i found out the germans were no longer making them.

The best suggestion i can give when it comes to car audio is sound deaden...use damplifier from www.secondskinaudio.com. Audiophile say the best way is to only have front components and thats it. While this is optimal 2 channel....what about everyone else in the car or truck.....i always say, put components everywhere if possible. Skip the rear if you have components in the door, seal up the holes and dump a sub in the trink. Cant hurt to have the rear deck IMO.

Check out www.sundownaudio.com for amps, i have heard very good things from several people, one whom i know flips car audio, tests, listens, resells what he doesnt like. I would buy their 4 channel amp, very affordable.

Components, check out rainbow audio, german goodness. I always like alpine too but i am beginning to seek out more of the boutique audio places, better prices and great performance most of the time.

I will be honest; the MB Quarts sound WAY BETTER than stock.

I know they used to be top of the line; but they are still decent.....

I got the MB Quart components and the 6X9s for $150.... (I love Amazon).

They sound way better than that; and appear to be quality. I am already double the SQ of stock without the 6X9s installed.

(The Kenwood deck helps). This is definitely low budget car audio..... But much like the Heresies and the HT; it has been fun......

I got a Clarion 4 channel 60wX4 RMS amp used (working) for $40; and a used Dual 12" sealed sub for $20......

Plan is to bridge the rear channels for the sub and front channels to the fronts......

The amp has the crossovers and filters; etc; so....... just waiting for a warmer day......

As for the Crites stuff...... +1.

They have the original stuff... (It will grow on you).

Or;

I redid my KV4 grill with some black fabric I found at Jo Ann Fabrics......

I will be going back there as my future cousin inlaw wants my KG 3s......

i got a surprise in the mail today...my xpa-5...woot. The issue is still there with it, so i suppose it has to be something in my system, dunno how or where, who the eff knows.Trying the heresies on the xpa-5 everything sounds much cleaner. My only gripe still is the lack of bass and authority. The sound is "big" it certainly doesnt sound like a small bookshelf speaker, i think its just the lack of bass completeing what i want to hear.

i got a surprise in the mail today...my xpa-5...woot. The issue is still there with it, so i suppose it has to be something in my system, dunno how or where, who the eff knows.Trying the heresies on the xpa-5 everything sounds much cleaner. My only gripe still is the lack of bass and authority. The sound is "big" it certainly doesnt sound like a small bookshelf speaker, i think its just the lack of bass completeing what i want to hear.

A good sub cures all..... Even at low volumes. (Trust me [:D] )

The cabinet resealing will help though......

i agree, subs solve all :)

In the case of Heresies; Yes......

The cabinet sealing and woofer flipping does a lot for bass.

(Also; consider the Crites Sonicap kit to replace capacitors on X overs; not for bass; but will open them up more.)

Seriously; I have heard Fortes versus mine within hours. With the sub; the Heresies are great.

I have no reason to switch. (Chorus IIs or KLF 20s/ 30s; maybe in a bigger room would be better; but I have a smaller room!)......

Get a good sub. I also live in an apt..... I monitor when the neighbors are home......

the previous owner of this pair redid the crossover already, i should def keep crites upgrade in mind. I want more bass but i really dont want to invert the woofer, i think id be more apt to increasing the cabinet size before that.I mean, as is, i think i will be moving the drivers infront of instead of behind the baffle to try and give a more of a flush look, but then again, they wouldntsit flush unless i cut out wood to have it sit flish

anyone use this "wet look" stuff, id like to give the woofer a nice dark sleek look.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=340-513

the previous owner of this pair redid the crossover already, i should def keep crites upgrade in mind. I want more bass but i really dont want to invert the woofer, i think id be more apt to increasing the cabinet size before that.I mean, as is, i think i will be moving the drivers infront of instead of behind the baffle to try and give a more of a flush look, but then again, they wouldntsit flush unless i cut out wood to have it sit flish

anyone use this "wet look" stuff, id like to give the woofer a nice dark sleek look.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=340-513

I could be wrong but I think all that is being recommended is that take the screws out of the woofer, turn it 180 degrees and reattach the woofer in the same manner as it was before. Very easy. The logic being that it has sat the way it is for over 30 years and that has effected the voice coil. Turning it 180 degrees will apply pressure the other way.

I'm pretty sure PWK has the internal dimensions of the box right, I'd be reluctant to increase the cabinet size, you'll probably throw the whole sound out of wack doing that. The Heresy isn't big bass producing speaker but its not the end of the world. I've owned a few pairs of Heresy and they sound incredible with a sub. Before I butchered a Heresy cabinet trying to get more bass out of it I'd go the easy way and buy a sub. A sub will give you improved sound quality even with larger speakers that have better bass response on their own. Both my Forte IIs and Cornwalls also benefit from having a sub in the mix.

I agree with Ironsave about getting a sub and just working around your neighbors, I think you'll enjoy the difference a lot regardless of what speakers you're using as your mains.