Online DVD Rentals - Time For A Status Check

dougdrake

OK, folks, which is the best on-line DVD rental service?

I've tried Netflix and Rentmydvd, and wound up cancelling both after about 6 months of use because their inventory was so shallow I could never get a recent release. My wife was fed up with watching movies released before DVDs were even in the consumer marketplace!!

I'm looking at DVDBarn right now, mostly 'cause they are about 5 miles from my house. I figure that shipping should be 2 days max, which makes it easier to cram a bunch of movies into a month's rental fee.

Doug

BTW - I can walk to a B-Buster but I'm boycotting them for their B-Busting late fees...

------------------

My System

Yes, Doug, you've discovered what makes online "all the DVD's you want" very profitable... for the company. Keeping the amount of DVD's you can have at any one time down to three (or so) and counting how long it takes to send one back and get the next one you prefer... severely limits how many DVD's you can enjoy in a month. Don't blame the Postal Service, it is all part of the online rental firm's plan to limit the number of transactions for your monthly fee and point the finger of dissatisfaction at the mail carrier.

I don't like B-Buster late fees either... so I often buy the "Pre-Viewed" disks for $9.99 (and sometimes more) and add them to my collection if I like them... and if I don't, I sell them or give them away. Now I have a collection of over 300 DVD's and have been amazed at how many times the same titles have been enjoyed more than once. Of course, a great incentive for watching a movie more than once is having the moving experience of Klipsch Sound.

People go to the same opera over and over... for the sound experience of a live production. Klipsch speakers bring that "live" feeling into your listening area that can even be more revealing the second time around... a month or so later. Also, every major upgrade is an excuse to watch your collection all over again.

In most major cities, there are usually more than one sources of previously viewed DVD's... with discounts for buying ten or so DVD's at a time. The major rental chains, like B-Buster often have the non-dts versions to save paying dts royalties... where the used DVD shop often gets DVD's from the general public which include the dts version. Check it out! cwm13.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

I did netflix for a while, Four at a time, couldn't get movies back fast enough, and would run out before the next shipment. Then I switched to eight at a time, and ended up with a stack that I never watched and just kept watching new ones, so that really wasn't worth it. Then I went to two at a time, and finally cancelled altogether. Now I just buy what I want, and hardly ever even rent at Blockbuster. I guess I don't watch as many movies as I used to though.

------------------

My Home Theater

I used netflix for a couple years, mostly so I could test drive live concert videos. If I liked one...I'd buy it. Rental stores don't carry very many of those, and I live in the sticks with only one little rental place. I ran into the same thing as far as NOT watching all the movies, especially when the weather improved. I may go back again next winter.

It was a good service...a bit too expensive I think though.

Take care

Mike

Well I've never tried online or mail rentals. Use a small rental mom/pop mini mall type store located w/in two miles. New releases are only overnighters, but they allow me to call and reserve them for pick up. Good selections too. Mostly buy on sale from Wal-Mart, Best Buy or K-Mart. Media Play always seems pricy to me.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

I LOVE Netflix! Sure Blockbuster has more copies of individual titles, but those are always the big Hollywood "blockbusters" that often make me yawn.

With Netflix I can often find far more interesting movies on DVD, which my local video stores, including Blockbuster, would never carry. So without Netflix, I would never get to see them.

It is annoying to have to wait for them to have particular titles available, but there are HUNDREDS of movies out there! If I can't get one I want when I want it, I'll just pick another one, no problem.

I will tell you this: there is a secret to getting enough movies from Netflix even with the three-movie-at-a-time limitation. Want to know what it is? Just check the option for "delayed in the mail" (I think they changed it to "lost" in the mail, but it means the same thing) as soon--or even BEFORE--you actually drop a return in your mailbox, and they'll quickly send you another. By the time it arrives, you will have finished watching the first one and be ready for the next.

Works for me every time.

Know what guys - I will give NetFlix a try... it was just that the first few posts were so negative.

I know it won't totally replace my local store. I am blessed to have a local store here in Sussex that keeps a copy of EVERYTHING. The place to go when the old collage buddy is in town and you have that old hankering to watch Eraserhead and drink a lot of beer...

JM

i used netflix back many years ago after first buying a dvd player, no problems. i recently took them up on their free 2 week trial offer, and again no problems. the main thing i run into is that i do not have time to watch all of the movies i would like to see. dvdovernight.com has a good selection and is no more than BB - i've rented from them a few times.

david