If you had the system I have, and you wanted to upgrade, what would it be?

m00n

I 2nd or 3rd trying different speaker placements and trying different test DVD's. Surrounds don't add that much volume wise on MOST DVD's, they just expand the soundstage. I watched some of JPIII last night and my 30's up front carried probably 90% of the incredibly loud noise. I'm running 7.1 and the surrounds and back center speakers definitely add to the effect, but it's the center/mains that do MOST of the work, plus the sub.

I've never listened to the R-3II series, so perhaps you are expecting more than they can provide, but it seems unlikely. My old system was 4 JBL towers and it was plently loud, of course now with 7 Legends I'm at another level. HTH...Mike

with my limited experiance it seems that this set up has exhausted you. when i first started setting up my system the sound of my quartets was adistant memory my yamaha rx900u was ok but was lacking. after reviewing several article and listening to local audio outlets ibegan to lean towards seperates.thats when i happen upon this site and saw the reviews on the mondial line alocal audio store the sound advice had aht setup that blew me away they were playing the vedio duet musically the seperation andtiming was awesome allthe neuances of sound was very realistic. and this was my measuring stick.i set out to get a ACURUS A125x5 which i had decided onnext came the addition of the other speaker to complement the quartets and received some excelent advice,recominding the ss1 sc1 ksw12 i wasfortunate to pick up an inexpensive pre after hooking up it sounded flat and not what i thought it would be.i say that to say this you have a time in which you can return this equiptment experiment and serch uot the system it tells you when it is right it will also tell you whats not right and if you are not happy take it back before the deadline date andstart over its not an exact science chill and have fun you are not in the drive up window.if you arrive toosoon what else will you do. coltrane a love supreme.

We really, really, need to see a picture of your living room with the RF3's setup. Really. With toys and all.

I seriously doubt upgrading to another receiver is going to do much -- unless you get into serious money. HK makes good stuff. Your AVR-520 can throw out 45 amps of instantaneous current. Learn to live with the remote if you can -- you have a good unit.

Besides needing to see a picture of your room -- I would like to know if you are running your RF3's full range, or if you are 'cutting' them and running them through the sub first. Using the high-pass on the sub will increase dynamics and clean up your midrange.

Now, depending on what we find out about your room -- if we see that the room is O.K., and placement is not an issue -- and you still feel the need to upgrade -- I can tell you unequivically that the RF7's would be the way to go. I would consider this a serious upgrade, and a substantial increase in performance.

The RF7's are more detailed and dynamic as compared to the RF3. Also, there is the sensitivity issue.

Look at the chart:

soundpressurechart.jpg

Along with the increase in dynamics, low level detail, and bigger soundstage -- the increase in sensitivity of the RF7 would be like doubling your amplifier power.

If it was me -- that's what I would do.

I would like to be invited over if you decide to get them. I would like to see your wife $hit a kitten. I've never seen that before. My wife usually $hits a cow when I upgrade.cwm24.gif

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>c>Super Ampf>s>c>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

Sony DVP-S9000ES

Klipsch RF7f>s>c>'s

SVS 20-39PCf>s>c>ic>

MIT/Monsters

Toshiba 36"f>s>c>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 04-18-2002 at 07:06 PM

deang

Ok, I will see what I can do about getting some pictures. We have a digital video camera, we have a capture card hooked up to one of our PC's however, I never play with that stuff so I don't know if it works or not. Let me see what I can do. IF nothing else, draw a floor plan using some graphics app.

As far as your comment here:

quote:

Besides needing to see a picture of your room -- I would like to know if you are running your RF3's full range, or if you are 'cutting' them and running them through the sub first. Using the high-pass on the sub will increase dynamics and clean up your midrange.

If this is the info your looking for?

I have my mains set to large. I had them set to small but the guy who came over yesterday set them to large.

------------------

Internet Software Engineer: Will code for HT upgrades.

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>f>

quote:

Originally posted by forresthump:

Hey Moon get a 44 mag and next time that guy comes in your house shoot him. LOL

Hey if that's what I have to do. rolleyes.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-18-2002 at 11:21 PM

I need Boa for this one. I don't know squat about the bells and whistles on HT recievers.

I think 'small' means your cutting your mains and 'large' means you're running them full range.

wWhat sounds better to you?

'Small' should sound better.

Forest is right. Shoot that guy.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>c>Super Ampf>s>c>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1

Sony DVP-S9000ES

Klipsch RF7f>s>c>'s

SVS 20-39PCf>s>c>ic>

MIT/Monsters

Toshiba 36"f>s>c>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

You said....Just upgrade to the RF-7's (but is 75 watts per channel enought to push these?)==

==================================================

Yes, and may I make a painful suggestion...$$ wise.

Why not start with the Best Klipsch has?? ...If it takes you 6 months to a year or more to save for the correct surrounds too...so what? Rome was not built in a day.

75 watts is MORE than enough.

When I was 15 I rode my bike 10 miles...To hear some big speakers called Klipsch Horns..I was hook, line, sinker, caught up in what I felt like was my nirvana of speakers..

I saved..and yes bought them new..and STILL am very happy with them to this day. If I had just bought the radio shack special for 69.00 well.. no need to go there..LOL..

Remember in the end..( Sorry to all the guys who sometimes on this board who are "Intellectually Constipated", as we all get sometimes..laugh at yourselves ok??) What do YOUR ears tell you? If it is a big difference sound wise to your ears...go home. Save your $$, and reward yourself when you can do it right too.

dean, small/large switches on/off the high pass crossover for the respective speakers in the processor of the receiver or pre/pro. usually it's a fixed 80hz though that can vary slightly to the upside.

think of high pass as it lets the highs pass thru. everything below say 80hz is filtered away from the speakers to the sub out at whatever set sloping rate the crossover has (usually 12db/octave).

usually it works best w/ this engaged (small) and the sub's low pass crossover dialed all the way up or disabled. even for large tower speakers because then you don't have those speakers & the sub covering a lot of the same lower freq range from dif locations in the room. though there's a lot of small vs large elsewhere on this site. rooms, tastes, etc. do vary.

imo the sub's LP crossover should be disabled because almost all processors send LFE channel only to it's sub out - sub. that way then you don't cut LFE w/ the sub's LP crossover.

indy, of course the rf-7 would be a better choice if one has the bucks available.. though i question the marginal value vs rf-3 when all are cut at 80hz anyway. my main point though is moon needs to rectify some other things w/ the rf-3. they just shouldn't sound as bad as he indicates (to most anyway). i have a feeling

the rf-7 aren't going to improve things much until these things are handled. jmo. cwm4.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hey all.

So, I have rearranged my living room. I had everything in a corner. Now it's up against a wall. For some reason that seemed to make it sound better. I would not have thought so, but it did.

Also, I bi-wired my center and two mains. That too seemed to help. Just a little but it did seem to help, mostly in my center which was really lacking sound.

I got my surrounds up. The connection to the back of the receiver is not very good because I was having a hard time getting the wire looped around the screw. For some reason, I could not take the surround screws all the way out of the back of the receiver, not to mention there is plastic casing if you will, arround the screw with just a small slot to get the wire in. I I know it can't be making all that good of a connection so I am going to the store to get some bananna clips for them.

My only issue with the surrounds right now is that they are about 1 foot too high. I know they are supposed to be about 2 foot above your listening level right? Well, these are more like 3 to 4 foot heigher than my head when I sit on the couch. Unfortunitily, there is not much I can do about it because of a bi-fold door being right where I needed to mount my speaker. So, I needed to take them up about an extra foot.

Things do sound better. Not exactly as I want, but I think the only thing that's going to help that is throwing more money at it.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>