Thinking of a possible upgrade - RT-12 / SVS PB13 Ultra

Hoenig

I currently have the Klipsch RT-12 and it is not bad. Very musical and great on movies. Although, I have decided I am a bass junkie and I need more.

My Forte's and Academy seem to be very loud so I do not have to worry about "too much" bass. If there is such a thing. I would say my set up is used for music around 90% of the time (either IPOD or a concert DVD). With that being said, anyone have experience of the two subs mentioned that would be willing to guide me in the right direction?

I feel like I could easily get close to $1,000 out of my RT12 and the SVS I can get for around $1,700 shipped (new). Will it be worth my $700? What difference should I expect? I just want to FEEL more bass. The RT sounds great but unless you are standing in the back of the room, you do not truly FEEL IT.

Should I try to build my own sub set up? Always looking for advice. I appreciate any comments. Thanks - Joe

If you can only feel the bass in one part of the room, you should try placing the sub in other locations before you spend any money. If you're sitting in a null, buying a different sub won't help. You can try different seating locations also. New toys are fun, wasting money isn't.

Hoenig, I was very disappointed with my RT12d from day one. I bought a second. Still not right. I bought two Paradigm Sub 12 (I have outputs for three subs in my Denon 4810). Nothing was right with all combos tried until I mated one Paradigm Sub12 with one RT12d. Perfection. Really. I'm satisfied. I'm not saying go out a buy a Sub12 necessarily but the key is that it is a tight musical sub. The RT handles the rest. I apologize. I just noticed you wanted comments from persons with experience with both subs you have brought into question. I know nothing about the SVS. Just the same, I feel like my comment may have merit for your situation as I feel that the key is the musicality, speed and tightness of the second sub. I am more than satisfied and believe me I looked long and hard for solution to my dissatisfaction with the RT. I virtually begged for help on the forums and made many short lived changes. I'll say it one last time. You can't imagine how happy I am after being frustrated for so long. Nic

If you can only feel the bass in one part of the room, you should try placing the sub in other locations before you spend any money. If you're sitting in a null, buying a different sub won't help. You can try different seating locations also. New toys are fun, wasting money isn't.

Again...CECAA850 gives great advice.

When it comes to subs, you gotta experiment your butt off. Location of the sub being #1 on the list.

I think I am just getting bored and this has become an interesting hobby. Lucked into a pair of Forte II's about a year and a half ago and it started from there.

I just want to have my next upgrade in mind as it helps me work toward a goal. Should I upgrade my reciever?

I would also like to put my back two Fortes (5.1 system) on 2-4 ft risers. Having trouble finding a good way to do that (any suggestions appreciated). May need to search some threads as I am sure that has been done before.

I dig my TV, love my center, very happy with my Forte's (fornt and rear) so................just stuck on what to do next.

Sorry but couple of pieces of info I don't have is size of your room...forgive me if its there and I'm missing it, as well, I know about nothing about your receiver. Back again to the subs, however its a pricey experiemet, which is why I'm suggesting a friend or friendly store, I've gottnen lots of help that way, It might virtually solve your problem. I admit to being too lazy...LOL.. to move subs (its easier than picking up new one ones) but I like the tangibility of having what I might have in my room showing me how it would work. Of course they (your friend of store) might not be happy about it but thats the deal. I've bought two subs that way and also returned two subs that way. I've also offered a small gift at times, some accepted, some were in a position to say in no uncertain terms "no". Howver it is an imposition for some and its kind of fun to say "thanks" this way. The meat for me is that I just love sub bass sounds and if you do too you have to use the most realistic application to test what your going to have. That's just the way I did it. I would not pretend to know that my methods are superior to others. I just know with absolute certainty that I got the most amzing set up I ever dreamed of owning this way. Fortunately for me I've built a lot of good relationships, One last comment is I love my Denons and haven't heard too much negative about them but have heard some. All things considered, I wish you the very best in your search and hope have I helped in some way rather than hinder you. Now this now is really the last comment. There are members who know much more than I do on the forums. Truely, best to you. That's what these forums are really all about after all aren't they? Sometimes its really hard to know what its the next best move but again good smart friends as you are seeking out will often be the best resource. Nic

• Like 1

I dont see why people would spend so much money on ONE sub. I bought my duals for less than one svs pb13. Just blows my mind. You can get way more for your money with other companies.

One other thing you might consider. The Tuba HT might fit the bill for you. Im under the assumption you can build one of those for like $350 including wood, glue, and driver. Not bad. You can build two of them and run both with little power because they dont take much. Two 36" tubas would blow you away. Im not sure how great they are down low, but they do get loud from what ive read and seen on youtube and avs forum.

Wow, nevermind. After an hour of messing with my receiver I found an LFE output control and turned it up to +10db. That itself made a TREMENDOUS difference. But then.............I read how the fortes have great bass over and over. I had all my speakers set to small (like the Elite VSX90 recommended). I switched my fronts to large and I could tell the difference in the room immediately. The front of my room finally filled up with bass. It sounds incredible right now. Feels like falling in love all over again........:)

This seems to never stop ................

I have a great opportunity to get a Klispch RT-10d for pretty cheap. Right now I am happy with my system although it is hard to pass up a good deal. I have my Forte (fronts) set to large right now and the Academy set to small. The room is full of bass form the RT-12 and the Forte's. I have a hard time pushing my Forte's though because I love them, they are old, and I just dont think they should be pounding away (although it sounds great!!

Should I invest the money (around $300) to get a RT-10d and put it up front? I could then let me Forte's relax and have what I want (feel the bass from any seat in my basement). I am afraid the RT-10 and the RT-12 might not sound right.....anybody have experience with both the 10 and the 12 hooked up at the same time?

This seems to never stop ................

I have a great opportunity to get a Klispch RT-10d for pretty cheap. Right now I am happy with my system although it is hard to pass up a good deal. I have my Forte (fronts) set to large right now and the Academy set to small. The room is full of bass form the RT-12 and the Forte's. I have a hard time pushing my Forte's though because I love them, they are old, and I just dont think they should be pounding away (although it sounds great!!

Should I invest the money (around $300) to get a RT-10d and put it up front? I could then let me Forte's relax and have what I want (feel the bass from any seat in my basement). I am afraid the RT-10 and the RT-12 might not sound right.....anybody have experience with both the 10 and the 12 hooked up at the same time?

My only advice is if you are not sure.... make sure you can re sell whatever it is for the same price (or nearly the same).

$300 for that sub is an ok deal; but IMHO; not killer.

I read this thread; I think you may benefit from a 40 HZ crossover point on your mains. Let your sub do everything below there; and let the Fortes do everything above.

You will gain a bit of dynamic headroom as you are not wasting power trying to do frequencies the Fortes can't.

It would be easy to try, and you might fall in love yet again.......

Good Luck.

• 5 weeks later...

I run my LFE at 120hz per Chris(Audyssey) suggestions.

Wow, that's high. You may want to re-measure. I can't believe the subs do a great job up that high. They'd be very directional (detectable).

IMHO, no they are not directional. I just recently moved them to 120. I used to run them at 80hz until I got the new pre/pro with XT32

• 2 weeks later...

I would cross them over, and get a sub, large or full range means that your speaker will try and play down below their frequency cutoff.

I agree with nezff. It hurt my pride to set either my Cornwalls or my Forte IIs to small but it does sound so much better with a sub. A sub is made to do one thing and do it well, a regular speaker can't compete with a sub for sound quality down low.